4.4.4 Update

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I got the update this afternoon, I guess I'm all secured now, can't see any other changes.:)
Is this a good time to wipe cache and start clean? Do the instructions at the beginning of this thread still work the same?
My internet response on my Nexus 7 has been really slow lately, especially on this forum, is that due to the screwed up interface they just installed that doesn't work well with any of my devices except my home computer? The Nexus 7 was slow before this update.
What is the best step to take after the update (please don't say a full factory reset, the standard manufacturer response after numerous calls in the past after other issues with these devices).

Update: I just tried the wipe cache method and the instructions are still correct. The response is still slow on this forum, but at least I took out the trash, I hope.

I did just notice, the toolbar on the forum in full screen mode on this post isn't screwed up anymore, they must have just fixed it. Cool. It is only fixed if I open new pages on my phone, time to close out the old browser sessions and open them fresh.
Update - the tool bar isn't fixed on my Note 8 in full screen mode, it was working on my Note 2 in portrait mode this afternoon. Maybe it's only partially fixed.

Last edited:

AliasCBG

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Does 4.4.4 allow me to switch from Dalvik to ART on the 1st gen (2012) model? I can do it on my 2013 (2nd gen) model but that feature is missing in the Developer options in the 1st gen with the prior 4.4.3 update.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mobile Nations mobile app

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Does 4.4.4 allow me to switch from Dalvik to ART on the 1st gen (2012) model? I can do it on my 2013 (2nd gen) model but that feature is missing in the Developer options in the 1st gen with the prior 4.4.3 update.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mobile Nations mobile app

There is a hardware issue that blocks our access to ART on the 2012 N7. So no a software update will not allow for ART to be used.

ThreeChordMonte

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have a link for the OTA? I'd like to update but haven't been prompted and don't wasn't to have to wipe anything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

msewing

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, not so good for me. I start the OTA 4.4.4 update. The update is loaded normally (android tummy spinner) and then it reboots. BUT I get a dead android "error". If I reboot manually, I find I still have 4.4.3. (This is a non-rooted machine.) Erased all data, restored from Google backup and waited a day or two and the OTA update came back, but same result. What to do??

LabRat

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
There is a hardware issue that blocks our access to ART on the 2012 N7. So no a software update will not allow for ART to be used.

So then that means that this is the last update for the 2012 Nexus 7 since Android L will require ART support. Right?

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
So then that means that this is the last update for the 2012 Nexus 7 since Android L will require ART support. Right?

Unless they modify how ART works on a base level then yes this is the last update for the 2012 model. But don't blame Google it was a lack of foresight on Nvidia's part.

Last edited:

ThreeChordMonte

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, not so good for me. I start the OTA 4.4.4 update. The update is loaded normally (android tummy spinner) and then it reboots. BUT I get a dead android "error". If I reboot manually, I find I still have 4.4.3. (This is a non-rooted machine.) Erased all data, restored from Google backup and waited a day or two and the OTA update came back, but same result. What to do??

I had the same issue with 4.4.3. I wiped my Nexus and loaded 4.4.3 from a factory image. Don't know if factory images are out for 4.4.4, but if they are, you could try that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Really? ART works fine on a custom ROM. Been running it like this for a while now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-28-10-28-48.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-28-10-28-48.png
    177.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_2014-06-28-10-28-31.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-28-10-28-31.png
    185.1 KB · Views: 34

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
After alittle more research I must add to my last post. It was Nvidia's official stoppage of support to our Tegra chip that is blocking Google from implementing ART on the Nexus 7 2012. So privately developed ROM will have to be our source for ART.

Nexus 62

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
RE Dead Android Error: Same problem for me too with the Nexus 7... The same update is now waiting to download on my nexus 4 as well, so not sure what to do.