Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 4.4.4 Update

I got the update this afternoon, I guess I'm all secured now, can't see any other changes.
    Is this a good time to wipe cache and start clean? Do the instructions at the beginning of this thread still work the same?
    My internet response on my Nexus 7 has been really slow lately, especially on this forum, is that due to the screwed up interface they just installed that doesn't work well with any of my devices except my home computer? The Nexus 7 was slow before this update.
    What is the best step to take after the update (please don't say a full factory reset, the standard manufacturer response after numerous calls in the past after other issues with these devices).

Update: I just tried the wipe cache method and the instructions are still correct. The response is still slow on this forum, but at least I took out the trash, I hope.

I did just notice, the toolbar on the forum in full screen mode on this post isn't screwed up anymore, they must have just fixed it. Cool. It is only fixed if I open new pages on my phone, time to close out the old browser sessions and open them fresh.
    Update - the tool bar isn't fixed on my Note 8 in full screen mode, it was working on my Note 2 in portrait mode this afternoon. Maybe it's only partially fixed.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: 4.4.4 Update

Yes, this would be a good time to wipe the cache. Here is the link: [GUIDE] Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013) Cache Partition Wipe

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Does 4.4.4 allow me to switch from Dalvik to ART on the 1st gen (2012) model? I can do it on my 2013 (2nd gen) model but that feature is missing in the Developer options in the 1st gen with the prior 4.4.3 update.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by AliasCBG View Post
    Does 4.4.4 allow me to switch from Dalvik to ART on the 1st gen (2012) model? I can do it on my 2013 (2nd gen) model but that feature is missing in the Developer options in the 1st gen with the prior 4.4.3 update.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    There is a hardware issue that blocks our access to ART on the 2012 N7. So no a software update will not allow for ART to be used.

Does anyone have a link for the OTA? I'd like to update but haven't been prompted and don't wasn't to have to wipe anything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeChordMonte View Post
    Does anyone have a link for the OTA? I'd like to update but haven't been prompted and don't wasn't to have to wipe anything.
    4.4.4 OTA.zip
    Nokia Lumia 1520.3 (Factory Unlocked): Windows Phone 8.1 w/ Lumia Cyan
    Dell Venue 8 Pro (32GB): Windows 8.1 Desktop OS w/ Office 2013 H&S

Awesome! Just finished updating. Everything running great.

Well, not so good for me. I start the OTA 4.4.4 update. The update is loaded normally (android tummy spinner) and then it reboots. BUT I get a dead android "error". If I reboot manually, I find I still have 4.4.3. (This is a non-rooted machine.) Erased all data, restored from Google backup and waited a day or two and the OTA update came back, but same result. What to do??

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    There is a hardware issue that blocks our access to ART on the 2012 N7. So no a software update will not allow for ART to be used.
    So then that means that this is the last update for the 2012 Nexus 7 since Android L will require ART support. Right?

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.3 unlocked and rooted

I just did the .4 OTA update and all went smooth. I lost root but re-rooted using WugFresh and it too went smooth.
    Living in Puerto Vallarta with my wife and our 5 Kids, Atrix 4G, N4, N5, N7, N10 and a recently adopted MK908B.
    www.romamexico.com

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    So then that means that this is the last update for the 2012 Nexus 7 since Android L will require ART support. Right?
    Unless they modify how ART works on a base level then yes this is the last update for the 2012 model. But don't blame Google it was a lack of foresight on Nvidia's part.

Quote Originally Posted by msewing View Post
    Well, not so good for me. I start the OTA 4.4.4 update. The update is loaded normally (android tummy spinner) and then it reboots. BUT I get a dead android "error". If I reboot manually, I find I still have 4.4.3. (This is a non-rooted machine.) Erased all data, restored from Google backup and waited a day or two and the OTA update came back, but same result. What to do??
    I had the same issue with 4.4.3. I wiped my Nexus and loaded 4.4.3 from a factory image. Don't know if factory images are out for 4.4.4, but if they are, you could try that.

ROM
    AOKP 4.1.1

Really? ART works fine on a custom ROM. Been running it like this for a while now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.4.4 Update-screenshot_2014-06-28-10-28-48.png   4.4.4 Update-screenshot_2014-06-28-10-28-31.png  
    Thanked by:

After alittle more research I must add to my last post. It was Nvidia's official stoppage of support to our Tegra chip that is blocking Google from implementing ART on the Nexus 7 2012. So privately developed ROM will have to be our source for ART.

RE Dead Android Error: Same problem for me too with the Nexus 7... The same update is now waiting to download on my nexus 4 as well, so not sure what to do.