How to delete all data of Nexus 7 (2012) which doesn't turn on

iersmeisje

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi, the other day I had to charge my Nexus 7 (32GB, 3G, 2012), nothing special there. But after charging it all night it wouldn't turn on anymore. No battery indicator, nothing.

Tried all the tricks provided by Google support: holding the power button for a long time; all possible combinations of pressing the power button and volume button(s), but still nothing. Also tried another charger as Google indicated and charging it overnight again and repeating all the steps of the buttons. Still nothing. It didn't fall or something, so it's not an unplugged battery connector.

My tablet is not rooted and is on the latest Android version (4.4.4) I think, but can't check it.

The Nexus 7 is not recognized by my pc when connected via USB.

So, now after contacting the shop, I can return it to them. Only thing I want to do before returning it, is deleting all the data off the tablet. I don't need a backup, just wipe all the data (or do a factory reset). Since it won't turn on, I can't get it into the factory reset boot screen.

Can anyone tell me how to do that (tools, guide)?
Just looked into the Android Device Manager (Lock/ Delete data) but since it's not online, don't know if/ when that would be executed.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Was it protected by a lockscreen PIN or password? If so, it's unlikely that anyone at the shop could break in. Otherwise, I can't think of any way to erase your data short of physically destroying the memory chips.

iersmeisje

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
No, I only protect it with a lockscreen / PIN when taking it on a trip or something.

It's not about the shop only, but Asus as well. I asked about how to delete everything first when I was on the phone with Asus support, because of personal data like emails and accounts, sensitive information. The Asus guy said they used user's data before to test. So, they didn't wipe it. But after complaints of customers (duh!) they do wipe it now. Just to prevent this I want to delete all my data before returning it. Besides that, I know about people getting refurbished devices and it wouldn't be the first time, the data is still on there.

I did a test with changing a Gmail account's password online before, but the emails on my phone (with still the old credentials) would still open. It would only not sync anymore. So, emails are stored on the device and can be read.

With Android Device Manager (Lock/ Delete) it will start deleting the device once it's connected to the internet via 3G or Wifi. But as long it's not connected to the internet (basically by turning it on), the data will be accessible.

I just hoped for a way to access the harddrive of the tablet via a pc with the USB cable to wipe it....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, those are all good concerns. I hope you can figure out a way!

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried charging it via computer. I know you mentioned it is not recognized but try leaving it connected for an hour or more and see if that helps. Next post is from another forum that helped others get their Nexus 7 to live again..

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
This is from another post on this forum.

Originally Posted by Kevin Luberger<br />
I've tried ALLL of these options and the thing will not turn on. A battery pic came on for a second then went away. An empty battery pic. I had it plugged in all night. It's now plugged to my computer with no results. These things are garbage.
<br />
<br />
I had the same problem. These instructions worked for me:<br />
1. Using the original power adapter and USB cable, plug your Nexus device into a functioning power outlet.<br />
2. Press & hold the Volume down button. While holding Volume down, press & hold the Power button for at least 10 seconds until you see an Android robot and the word Start on the screen.<br />
3. Press the Volume down button until Power off is highlighted. Press the Power button to select that option.<br />
Once your device turns off, disconnect the charger, then reconnect it. A battery icon should appear on your screen.<br />
4. Charge your Nexus device for at least 1 hour before turning it back on.<br/>

jamathewson21

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I had the exact same problem occur last week. Exact same Nexus 7 too. I had already sent it back to ASUS for this same repair twice before so this will be the third time (if I decide to send it in again.) I wouldn't worry about personal info stored on the unit as I wasn't able to wipe anything either. Bigger problem is what's going on with the Nexus 7 32G, 3G 2012 device?

flacousa

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Weird it just happen to my wife's 2012 32g, won't turn on and feels hot to the touch, it was charging all night and failed to turn on this afternoon, I did the update to 4.4.4 on both or tablets a couple days ago.

My 2012 16g is working fine with no problems

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member