I've been having a few issues with my Nexus 7 recently, main problems seem to be either crashing where the nexus is completely unresponsive or shutting down.

I also charged the battery all day yesterday and it was empty this morning and I hardly used it (because it kept crashing).

It isn't rooted and I've had it for almost 18 months so no longer under warranty, I managed to do a factory reset last night but I've still been having issues.

I'm thinking that I either replace the battery (£30) or I just bite the bullet and save up for another tablet.
    07-02-2014 04:13 AM
    Hello,

Can you verify which version of Android your tablet is currently running? Screen shot would be perfect of the About Tablet screen.
    07-02-2014 07:35 AM
    Hi Paul,

I haven't got the tablet to hand at the moment, but there was a recent update to 4.4.4, the problems seems to start occurring before this update as I recall having an issue whilst the update was being downloaded.

I'll try and grab a screenshot, might depend if I can keep the tablet working for that long.
    07-02-2014 08:35 AM
    I managed to get to the About screen last night after numerous reboots but didn't manage to get the screenshot, it is Android 4.4.4 though.

I also noticed that as soon as the crash occurs the back of the tablet near the micro usb can get quite warm.
    07-03-2014 07:17 AM
    My battery life is horrid now. To add to this the micro USB slot won't hold a cable so charging is an adventure as the cable continues to fall out.
    07-04-2014 11:14 AM
    My N7 2012 battery life has gone to hell since 4.4.4 update. Put it down with almost a full charge and next morning it's off or nearly to "0". Checked relevant settings and all is set as it should be to maximize battery life. I can't find a culprit.
    Anyone else having the same after 4.4.4? Any suggestions or revelations?

Posted via Android Central App
    07-04-2014 07:50 PM
    It may be a rouge app draining your battery. I've been getting pretty good battery life. Right now I'm at 56% with 10.5 hours on battery and 3 hours of screen on time. Most of that time has been spent checking email, web surfing, and of course these forums. I don't see a problem with 6-7 hours use in a 24 hour period. I am running stock 4.4.4 (rooted), with the stock kernel, Wi-Fi always on, location off, NFC off, Bluetooth off (unless needed).
    07-04-2014 09:23 PM
    For those of you having issues, try wiping the system cache partition. http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...tion-wipe.html
    07-06-2014 10:33 PM
    I don't think its a battery problem, the tablet charges to 100%, the problem is that it doesn't stay on long enough, after a few minutes the tablet crashes and I can't do anything other than switch it off and on again.

I also don't think its a rogue app as I've been able to complete a factory reset and there are no other apps installed other than the default. It looks like my only option will be going to a tablet repair place, any recommendations?
    07-08-2014 07:07 AM
    So I've done a bit more research and I've found a few posts that mention the battery connection getting loose, I can't see how this is related as I'd expect this to be a problem in recovery mode as well and/or if this was loose the tablet wouldn't boot up at all.

In any case I'll attempt to open the tablet later this weekend and see if I have any luck.
    07-10-2014 11:26 AM
    So I've done a bit more research and I've found a few posts that mention the battery connection getting loose, I can't see how this is related as I'd expect this to be a problem in recovery mode as well and/or if this was loose the tablet wouldn't boot up at all.

In any case I'll attempt to open the tablet later this weekend and see if I have any luck.
    The loose connector is a symptom of design flaw. The battery on the gen 1 Nexus 7 is a smaller than the space in which it fits. As a result the battery slips around and can become disconnected. Asus put a piece of double stick tape on the battery to hold it in place. But this tape fails after a while. The result is the battery is fine when it is sitting still, but when you pick it up it creeps down and the connector comes loose.

I popped the back off my unit. Removed the battery and put a lot more double stick tape on the battery. That held the battery fine for the remainder of the time I owned the device.

Jerry
    07-11-2014 03:19 PM