Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7 (2012) Crashing, shutting down and battery drain

I've been having a few issues with my Nexus 7 recently, main problems seem to be either crashing where the nexus is completely unresponsive or shutting down.

I also charged the battery all day yesterday and it was empty this morning and I hardly used it (because it kept crashing).

It isn't rooted and I've had it for almost 18 months so no longer under warranty, I managed to do a factory reset last night but I've still been having issues.

I'm thinking that I either replace the battery (£30) or I just bite the bullet and save up for another tablet.

Default Re: Nexus 7 (2012) Crashing, shutting down and battery drain

Hello,

Can you verify which version of Android your tablet is currently running? Screen shot would be perfect of the About Tablet screen.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hi Paul,

I haven't got the tablet to hand at the moment, but there was a recent update to 4.4.4, the problems seems to start occurring before this update as I recall having an issue whilst the update was being downloaded.

I'll try and grab a screenshot, might depend if I can keep the tablet working for that long.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I managed to get to the About screen last night after numerous reboots but didn't manage to get the screenshot, it is Android 4.4.4 though.

I also noticed that as soon as the crash occurs the back of the tablet near the micro usb can get quite warm.

My battery life is horrid now. To add to this the micro USB slot won't hold a cable so charging is an adventure as the cable continues to fall out.

Carrier
    Stock

My N7 2012 battery life has gone to hell since 4.4.4 update. Put it down with almost a full charge and next morning it's off or nearly to "0". Checked relevant settings and all is set as it should be to maximize battery life. I can't find a culprit.
    Anyone else having the same after 4.4.4? Any suggestions or revelations?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    485 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP 4.1.1

It may be a rouge app draining your battery. I've been getting pretty good battery life. Right now I'm at 56% with 10.5 hours on battery and 3 hours of screen on time. Most of that time has been spent checking email, web surfing, and of course these forums. I don't see a problem with 6-7 hours use in a 24 hour period. I am running stock 4.4.4 (rooted), with the stock kernel, Wi-Fi always on, location off, NFC off, Bluetooth off (unless needed).

For those of you having issues, try wiping the system cache partition. http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...tion-wipe.html
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I don't think its a battery problem, the tablet charges to 100%, the problem is that it doesn't stay on long enough, after a few minutes the tablet crashes and I can't do anything other than switch it off and on again.

I also don't think its a rogue app as I've been able to complete a factory reset and there are no other apps installed other than the default. It looks like my only option will be going to a tablet repair place, any recommendations?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

So I've done a bit more research and I've found a few posts that mention the battery connection getting loose, I can't see how this is related as I'd expect this to be a problem in recovery mode as well and/or if this was loose the tablet wouldn't boot up at all.

In any case I'll attempt to open the tablet later this weekend and see if I have any luck.

Quote Originally Posted by se99paj View Post
    So I've done a bit more research and I've found a few posts that mention the battery connection getting loose, I can't see how this is related as I'd expect this to be a problem in recovery mode as well and/or if this was loose the tablet wouldn't boot up at all.

In any case I'll attempt to open the tablet later this weekend and see if I have any luck.
    The loose connector is a symptom of design flaw. The battery on the gen 1 Nexus 7 is a smaller than the space in which it fits. As a result the battery slips around and can become disconnected. Asus put a piece of double stick tape on the battery to hold it in place. But this tape fails after a while. The result is the battery is fine when it is sitting still, but when you pick it up it creeps down and the connector comes loose.

I popped the back off my unit. Removed the battery and put a lot more double stick tape on the battery. That held the battery fine for the remainder of the time I owned the device.

Jerry