Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    697 Global Posts

Default Can we change our N7 "devices name" so on a network it shows a name we give it?

When I look at all the attached devices on my router my N7 shows as "Android (and a serial number??)". Can we change that to something else? Like could I rename it "Bob's Tablet?" I'm only asking the Device Name. Not the IP address or the MAC address.

For example, on a Windows PC you can change your computer's name and that name is what shows as attached devices on your router. I am wondering if we can do the same thing on our Nexus devices.

Default Re: Can we change our N7 "devices name" so on a network it shows a name we give it?

WiFi must be on (enabled).

Settings > WiFi > tap on the 3 dots (overflow or menu icon) in the upper right > WiFi Direct > Rename Device
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows Phone 8.1 Update + Lumia Denim

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee

Default Re: Can we change our N7 "devices name" so on a network it shows a name we give it?

Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    WiFi must be on (enabled).

Settings > WiFi > tap on the 3 dots (overflow or menu icon) in the upper right > WiFi Direct > Rename Device
    I think that only changes the name on Ad-hoc network setups, not on the network when you are attached to an AP. I believe you can only accomplish what you are asking is by rooting and finding a method that way. I seem to remember seeing another thread on here or XDA about this.

Quote Originally Posted by dcleveng View Post
    I think that only changes the name on Ad-hoc network setups, not on the network when you are attached to an AP. I believe you can only accomplish what you are asking is by rooting and finding a method that way. I seem to remember seeing another thread on here or XDA about this.
    Ooops... Right you are...

Here's how with root and a terminal emulator.
    Lots of Tablets - how do I rename them?
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows Phone 8.1 Update + Lumia Denim

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee