Why isn't Nexus 7 (2012) not recognized by Windows 8.1?

denimknight

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

Just got my Nexus 7 (2012). I'm running Windows 8.1 on my main machine, I connected the Nexus to my laptop, the laptop does that sound it makes when a USB device is connected, and it displayed the installing driver message. Said it installed correctly.
When I look in Devices and Printers Nexus 7 shows as an Unspecified device and it doesn't show under MyComputer. I'm trying to transfer my music onto it... Am I doing something stupid here? My girlfriend has a laptop with Windows 7 on it, which recognizes the Nexus without any problems.
I could transfer my music onto the tablet from her machine over the network, but I shouldn't really have to do it that way.
Anyone got any ideas what's going on? Is there a compatibility issue between this version of the nexus and Windows 8.1?

Things I've tried:
using a different USB port (both 2.0 and 3.0)
using a different USB cable
uninstall, reboot and reinstall driver

Tablet running KitKat 4.4.4

Please help!

Cheers

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:

mustiman

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
re: Windows 8.1 not recognizing Nexus 7 via USB

1. Unplug Nexus from Computer

2. Go to Control Panel, search for "Device Installation Settings",
a. Check "No, let me choose what to do"
b. Check "Never install driver software from Windows Update"

3. Go to Device Manager
Uninstall device while "Delete the driver software for this device" IS checked.

4. Once that's done, connect Nexus. Does it show up properly?

ario118

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

I know you didn't address this to me, but yes, it does show up properly.
B. Diddy led me here to your suggestion and I followed it and it worked. Thanks a lot.

The_Bigdawg

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

1. Unplug Nexus from Computer

2. Go to Control Panel, search for "Device Installation Settings",
a. Check "No, let me choose what to do"
b. Check "Never install driver software from Windows Update"

3. Go to Device Manager
Uninstall device while "Delete the driver software for this device" IS checked.

This worked after I tried it a second time. Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Talmerian

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows 8.1 not recognizing Nexus 7 via USB

OK, I followed the instructions. Except when I get into Device Manager the ACER ADB device is not installed if the Nexus 4 is not plugged in, I watched it disappear from Device Manager once I ejected the nexus and unplugged the USB.

I am running Windows 8.1 and KitKat 4.4.4 n my phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows 8.1 not recognizing Nexus 7 via USB

OK, I followed the instructions. Except when I get into Device Manager the ACER ADB device is not installed if the Nexus 4 is not plugged in, I watched it disappear from Device Manager once I ejected the nexus and unplugged the USB.

I am running Windows 8.1 and KitKat 4.4.4 n my phone.

Welcome to Android Central! In that case, follow the steps in my post here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/427074-nexus-5-connecting-via-usb-wrong-device.html

Sherridon Routley

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
After months of trying various solutions for my Nexus 5 ... this one did the trick! ... secret was to delete the ADB driver with the right checkbox checked. Sooooo much wasted time.

Paul Simister

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Click on ACER ABD Interface in device manager

select update driver

select Browse My computer..

select let me pick from a list of devices...

it will then show ABD and MPT select MPT click OK

close and reopen explore and it should now show up. (mine does)

Tina Pisano

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to get my Nexus 7(2012) to be read from my PC. it's not being recognized. Please help. I tried some of the steps from above, but nothing is showing ( ADB whatever is it from the device manager. Please help.

wonkabagel

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
for those having issues with step 3, plug the device back in. open device manager (under control panel) and remove the adb device (for me it was under "android devices"), make sure the delete driver option is checked. after that completes, simply unplug/replug or hit the "scan for hardware changes" icon (top row of buttons, little computer with a magnifying glass - far right). after that it should show up correctly and you'll be able to access your device like normal.

solved the issue in windows 10 (though originally written for win 8.1) after having to use computer to unbrick my nexus 7 (grouper). cheers.

::edit:: you may have to have the google driver installed, not sure if this will effect windows picking it up or not (i already had them installed from previous atttempts). can't link them, but search google for "nexus 7 2012 driver" and go to the "google usb drivers - android central" link for the download.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03