Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus doesn't recognize a USB Connection while it's turned on/Only chargeable while it's turned of

Hey guys,
    first of all, I'm from Germany and I keep on improving my english, so please apologize my (bad) english skills

I joined to your community, because I found nobody in the german Nexus-communities, who was able to help me!

The problem is:
    I cannot charge my Nexus 7 while it's turned on. Furthermore the Nexus is not able to start a connection to my computer either it's on or of. So my first thought was that the USB port of my Nexus is damaged, but when the battery was empty I tried to charge it again and it worked! But it only works while it's turned of. So I don't think that there is a problem with the port. As a result I thought about a software issue. I reseted the device, nothing improved. As a next step I tried to root the Nexus, but as long as there is no USB connection, I'm not able to to root it.

Do you guys have any ideas?
    The cable is not the problem, because I tested it with 10 other cables and a few other computers, so the problem is only in the Nexus.
    My warranty has expired, so I either have to live with the fact, that I cannot connect it to any other PC's/Devices and I can only charge it while it's of or I can repair/fix it somehow!
    Even though I think there is no issue with the USB port, because it works, could I fix the problem if I replace the USB port?

It would be great if you guys have any ideas, because I love my Nexus, but it's useless for me, as long as I'm not able to charge it while I use it!

Cheers
    Jan

Default Re: Nexus doesn't recognize a USB Connection while it's turned on/Only chargeable while it's turned

Welcome to Android Central! Did this problem just start recently? If so, it might be due to a bad Windows Update that Microsoft put out that is causing problems with USB connectivity for many Android devices. See my post here where I discuss it: Nexus 5 connecting via USB as wrong device
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Nexus doesn't recognize a USB Connection while it's turned on/Only chargeable while it's turned

No, the problem started weeks ago.
    I'm using Mac, so the problem has nothing to do with the Windows update.
    Honestly I don't think that it has anything to do with the Mac/PC, because the Nexus is not charging at the electrical outlet while it's turned on as well. If I turn of the Device, it charges at the Mac and at the electrical outlet.

I see. Do you notice any difference if you jiggle or reposition the USB cord where it plugs into the port? Maybe there's a loose connection there.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

No!
    I don't think there is a loose connection or something, because when it's turned off, the charging works perfect without any interruptions. Only when the device is on, the USB port seems "dead"