Seemingly dead Nexus 7

SamStoat

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nexus 7 (1st gen) which is mainly used for web browsing and Netflix. The other morning I went to use it and got nothing. Its kept in a case that turns it off with the magnet. It never switched on when opened and the power button is doing nothing, either. It was working perfectly the night before.

I've never used bootloader, so it's still factory spec with any updates downloaded. I've tried entering recovery mode, but I get nothing. I've taken the back off and unplugged the battery for a couple of hours, re-attached and still get nothing. When I connect it my PC's USB, it claims device not recognized.

Is my N7 dead or can it be fixed? If I must bin it, how can I wipe any data from it?

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
You've probably done these things already, but in case you haven't...
1. Keep the power button pressed in for a solid minute without letting go.
2. Plug into the charger, then walk away and come back after 2+ hours to try to power up again.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is my N7 dead or can it be fixed? If I must bin it, how can I wipe any data from it?
Welcome to Android Central! Maybe this support page will be helpful: https://support.google.com/nexus/troubleshooter/3337561?hl=en

You've probably done these things already, but in case you haven't...
1. Keep the power button pressed in for a solid minute without letting go.
2. Plug into the charger, then walk away and come back after 2+ hours to try to power up again.

Posted via the Android Central App
Hey MJKearney! Long time no hear! Good to see you around again ...

SamCarterX302

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
If the standard soft reset/reboot (power button) isn't doing anything, try a hard reset/reboot- press and hold down the volume down button, and then hold the power button. Keep them pressed down until the screen responds. Also try while your Nexus is plugged into the charger.

I have had the unfortunate luck of leaving my Nexus shut off and unplugged for long enough that it would no longer respond to attempts to simply charge it by plugging it in or the power button no matter how long I held it. Hard reset/reboot always did the trick.

SamStoat

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
SamCarterX302 - I just tried the hard reboot. No joy. I tried it on its own, plugged into my PC and plugged into the charger, each time holding the buttons for over a minute. Nothing. Thanks, anyway.

It looks like my Nexus is a lost cause, so I'm probably going to sell it for parts. Is there a way to wipe the data off the unit without power?

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
my daughters n7 2012 died a few weeks ago to. just trashed it and got her a cheap galaxy tab3. apparently this is a common issue with the n7.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463