Why is my N7 2012 freezing?

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
N7 2012 Keeps Freezing

A couple of months ago, my N7-2012 would randomly freeze. Long-hold power button to get it to restart. It has gotten progressively more frequent. A couple of weeks ago, I did a factory reset, but that hasn't stopped it. Today, it has been freezing moments to a minute after it connects to the wifi. If I manage to beat it to freezing and turn off the wifi, it will stay on. Turn it on, it dies. Did another factory reset. Now it hangs moments after connecting to the router; sometimes it makes it to the "Do you have a Google Account?" screen. Others, not. What is wrong with it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: N7 2012 Keeps Freezing

Welcome to Android Central! It could be due to an app you installed. A factory reset wouldn't necessarily rule this out, because when you set the tablet up again, it probably auto-installed a lot of the previous apps immediately. Try booting into Safe Mode, which temporarily disables all 3rd party apps: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

Please note that I already said it crashes immediately after connecting to wifi. It can't even get online, to register after a reset so it is definitely not reloading anything.

I tried re-flashing. The process fails with a cryptic "WriteFailed" message either on System or UserData. The device will boot. Gets to the "Do you have a Google Account" part. Then freezes.

Any other ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Oh, I see--sorry, I missed that detail. Do you mean that you reflashed the factory image? At this point, your issue is getting beyond my scope of knowledge ...

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

An update of sorts.

I got another tablet (Samsung Tab4, which has its own drama), and left the N7 powered off in a drawer for a few months. For giggles, I charged it up and turned it on around Christmas and to my surprise, it worked. Perfectly. For almost a week. Then, it started the freezing up nonsense all over. Tossed it back in the drawer.

A week ago, I fired it up. It updated to 5.0.2, along with the trillion app updates that had backlogged. Worked fine for several days. Then, back to freezing up. Even in safe mode. The only thing I can correlate is that it happens moments after wifi connects. If I disable wifi, it will keep running for however long until I turn wifi on.

Surely someone knows a solution!

ohmslaw

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Just a shot in the dark. Does this happen if you are plugged into your charger? I'm thinking battery can't handle the extra load of the wifi.