Lollipop Android 5.0 Fixes horrible 4.4 Lag? Say it ain't so!!!

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
The jury is still out but my update today to Lollipop seems to have my N7 2012 32G running a whole mess better than the previous 4.4 build.

Of course, I have simply downloaded, installed the new update and launched my staple five or six applications. There is still lag where this thing used to be a solid performer but I am seeing much better responses in the new Gmail app and other third party apps that I use most regularly. For some reason, they can't seem to get Chrome "right" and it remains a thorn in my side...

Also, OS Monitor seems to now report a great deal more CPU performance utilization that corresponds with system slowness. I now see the CPUs hitting 70%+ utilization whereas in 4.x, it never seemed to go beyond 40% before it crawled to a halt with no indication of memory or CPU issues. Now it reports utilization never seen before... sort of a good thing???

Recommendations for a more efficient browser on a native N7. No rooting, no mods... no time to play and manage.

Anyone with similar experiences?

royal hussar

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
5.0 has trashed my N7 as well did the install last evening and now Chrome will not work everything is slow or it just freezes. It has shut itself down 4 or 5 times needing a restart. My 7 is bog standard not routed and not messed with and had almost 15G of free space. at the moment I am thinking iPad so f***ing peed off....
They have trashed Chrome with no doubt.. These people need stringing up for releasing stuff that trashes peoples kit

Lasermn

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
My nexus 7 was quite slow after the upgrade as well, until I did a Factory reset. The thing is flying now and I am very pleased so far with this update. I believe the key is to take the upgrade, and then do a factory reset.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Or try wiping the cache partition first, to see if that improves things.

I did notice some significant lag immediately after the update, but then it seemed that after opening up a few apps and menus, things got faster and smoother. It's still not like my Nexus 5, but it's still acceptable.

ejtsang

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I remember experiencing significant lag after my N7 got the 4.4.4 OTA update way back when. I noticed that a factory reset without restoring apps/settings that Google stores in the cloud made it fly again. I've noticed a lot of lag since installing the lollipop update, so I'm hoping another factory reset and starting with a fresh setup may be the trick again.

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I remember experiencing significant lag after my N7 got the 4.4.4 OTA update way back when. I noticed that a factory reset without restoring apps/settings that Google stores in the cloud made it fly again. I've noticed a lot of lag since installing the lollipop update, so I'm hoping another factory reset and starting with a fresh setup may be the trick again.

As time marched on, the experience turned absolutely miserable. Multiple cache wipes, factory reset. It just goes from bad to worse. Google turning into Microsoft and third party apps are horribly resource intensive. Base hardware reports nothing out of the ordinary. Going to start cannibalizing this ******* starting with Facebook app, then yahoo app... Absolutely horrible experience. Shameful.

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
As time marched on, the experience turned absolutely miserable. Multiple cache wipes, factory reset. It just goes from bad to worse. Google turning into Microsoft and third party apps are horribly resource intensive. Base hardware reports nothing out of the ordinary. Going to start cannibalizing this ******* starting with Facebook app, then yahoo app... Absolutely horrible experience. Shameful.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey