Minor annoyances with 5.0 changes

JACrazy

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded to 5.0 recently, it flashy and all but theres a few things they changed that bug me.
1. The combined drop down menu. Now it takes two swipes to access quick toggles.
2. The volume button now doesnt change the volume unless a sound is playing. This sucks for when the sound is cranked initially and I want to turn it down before playing a video.
3. The clear all notification button is now at the bottom of the list. If theres a long list of nitifications i have to scroll all the way down to find the clear all button.
4. The lock screen. What happened to lock screen widgets? Also, I dont like having to be restricted to only a swipe up action whereas before i could swipe sideways.
5. The multitasking menu. Before I used to be able to tap the empty area and it would exit the menu (cant remember if went home or back to app). Now my only option is to tap an app or press an icon at the bottom.

These are just minor stuff but I do miss them. Does anyone else feel the same?

Seronac

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree completely. I love Android, but 5.0 is the equivalent of Windows 8.

What he said.

Yes, a lot of little annoyances. It's as if they completely bypassed any usability testing. Why would they make a newer version harder to use? Makes no sense. At least I understand that Microsoft was trying to jump right in to the tablet market and abandoned their desktop users. But, with 5.0 Google has just been stupid. Not to mention the lag and random resets. I'm seriously considering flashing back to 4.4.4.

Posted via the Android Central App

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Don't consider flashing back. Just do it! That was the only solution I found that worked.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

1. The combined drop down menu. Now it takes two swipes to access quick toggles.
Actually, just swipe all the way down with two fingers, and you'll bring down the quick toggles. My favorite alternative is to install Power Toggles and create a notification toggle bar.

3. The clear all notification button is now at the bottom of the list. If theres a long list of nitifications i have to scroll all the way down to find the clear all button.
On the other hand, it also makes sure that you at least glance at all of your notifications before clearing them.

4. The lock screen. What happened to lock screen widgets?
Lockscreen notifications took their place. I'm a bit ambivalent about this, but overall, I think I like the lockscreen notifications better, because you can see multiple notifications/widgets on the same screen. With KitKat, you were limited to only one widget per lockscreen.

Seronac

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
With KitKat, you were limited to only one widget per lockscreen.

Unless you used something like DashClock, that allowed more information per page via extensions.

Diddy, I think you are too kind to Google, but I'll grudgingly admit that that's not all bad. ;-)

Incidentally, I flashed back to KitKat, and I'm very satisfied without Lollipop. Although, I doubt that Google would change anything just for me, so I suppose I should just get used to it...

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Your hint to do the two finger swipe was helpful, how is anyone supposed to know this? Do you have a hint as to how to speed up getting the 5.0.2 upgrade ota? My nexus 7 is bogged down with 5.0.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The two finger swipe down started with Jellybean, so it's been around for a little bit. Sorry, but I don't know of a good way to expedite the 5.0.2 update. Whatever you do, don't clear the Google Services Framework--that can cause various problems.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital