How do I select USB Debugging if I can't do it from Developer Options?

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty sure this one is a doozy, or that I am missing something very simple... you know, one or the other ;)

First the facts: 2012 Wifi Nexus 7 running 5.0, stock rom, unlocked bootloader - nothing fancy about it.

Some background: I've been having a constant reboot issue for a week or so now... not quite a bootloop, as it allows me to enter my screenlock and even open the settings menu before suddenly rebooting again. Any changes I make in that time are lost upon reboot and it takes me right back to my 5.0 lockscreen (even if I disabled it the last time it was booted) - uninstalling apps included.

I've tried a factory reset from the Settings menu - no go, right back to my 5.0 lockscreen. I've tried to reset from recovery - no go, right back to my 5.0 lockscreen. I reflashed the image from the bootloader - no go, right back to my 5.0 lockscreen. I flashed 4.4.4 - no go, right back to my 5.0 lockscreen.

So I resorted to Wug's toolkit, and it dawned on me that I do not have USB debugging enabled, and thanks to that fun reboot loop I am in, I can not enable from the settings menu.
What other options do I have to enable USB debugging? For that matter, what other options do I have to fix this mess?

P.S. yes, I have developer options enabled.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you flashed an entire ROM and it still reboots, it's probably failed hardware. You'll need a repair shop to confirm that.

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I don't see how it's possible to flash a 4.4.4 ROM (successfully) and reboot, only to be presented with a lock screen.

That said, USB debugging is only necessary of you're using ADB to restart the device in fastboot mode. You can manually restart in fastboot mode without ADB or USB debugging.

Factory images and the necessary key sequence for any Nexus device can be found here:

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: I just did a Remote Erase Request from Android Device Manager no go, right back to my 5.0 lockscreen.