Has the OTA 5.0.2 been released?

The-wolf547

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I've read something on the internet about the OTA 5.0.2 being released and now I'm confused. Has it even been released as an OTA yet. I know its available to flash but I'm not sure if its available as an OTA.

Thanks for the help :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes it has, as note above.

If you are still on KitKat (4.x.x), I'd say stick with that. If your device is running smoothly and you've had no issues, IIABDFI (If It Ain't Broke...). IMHO.
If, on the other hand, you're already on Lollipop (5), I'm going to suggest that you'll regain some stability on your device (if only on Chrome) and speed by 'upgrading' to 5.0.2.

Some are commenting they are finding dramatic speed and battery improvements with 5.0.2 - but its unclear to me as to whether that's in comparison to the truly awful 5 (and they're simply thankful for anything that restores useability) or their earlier OS. In my case, I'm not sure that I'm just not willing it to be better than 5, when actual improvement is less definable.

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I haven't even had 5.0.1 yet, did the 2012 version even get that?

N7 (2012) did not get 5.0.1.

It seems many of these (and other Nexus devices) stopped getting the original 5 OTA as well, once reports of bad behaviour started rolling in. The problem with Google's rolling release system (unlike Apple's 'all at once') is that while it can limit the number of users who find issues on their devices, there ends up being a large contingent of people who have devices who find themselves with an older OS, have a partially failed install or have the newest OS but have issues - there's little consistency of experience Google can draw on to definitively say there is a problem and find a solution and users are left wondering if their device is failing them because they don't get the updates in a timely manner.
Google has only released a limited number of devices under their own Nexus name, the selling point that they are running the purest version of Android. If they can't make their own OS work on their own devices...

5.0.2 is specifically for the N7 (2012) - only, eventually, exacerbating a situation down the line.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I sideloaded it and while I found it ok KK is snappier and has better battery life so I went back to KK.

mkhilario

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I have not heard of a single person running stock 4.4.4 receiving an OTA to 5.0.2
We will have to wait longer, who knows how long. I am glad I didn't get the original limited 5.0 OTA as my tablet is still usable on 4.4.4

The-wolf547

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I haven't got the 5.0.2 OTA yet. So for now it looks like I'm going to be using a slow and buggy android lollipop.

Posted via the Android Central App