Can I get some help with a strange problem I am having?

anon(131445)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The Strangest Problem I've Ever Encountered!

I like to think of myself as pretty technically savvy, but this problem with my nexus 7 has me baffled and I've decided to ask the interwebs if you guys have any advice.

My Nexus 7 has a rebooting problem. Everytime I boot it up, it starts to load it's applications, everything normal. After a few seconds, Messenger force closes. I hit OK. Then no matter what I do, the screen freezes and it reboots again. As I thought it was a simple random rebooting problem, I go into recovery and I do a factory reset. When it goes back on though, all my stuff is still on there with no apps deleted, even though the factory reset said everything went fine. In fact, no matter what I do when my tablet is on (or off), when it reboots, everything is like it was before I did anything (any apps I uninstalled are back, any factory resets don't do anything--recovery or in settings, any settings I change go back). It's like my tablet is Bill Murray from Groundhog Day.

I've installed the Nexus Root Toolkit and even tried running some things through fastboot. I've tried factory resetting from a brick through the program and everything says it ran successfully, with confirmations from my tablet and the computer, but when the tablet turns on, it is the same old screens with the same wallpaper and apps. I've forced twrp recovery onto my tablet and went into the file manager and deleted everything from the tablet, did factory resets on twrp, and when it boots, the same story.

I've used multiple USB ports on my PC, USB 2 and 3, multiple USB cables, and even opened up my N7 to make sure the contacts are okay with the USB port, but nothing works.

I'm lost, and that's where you guys hopefully come in. I'm running stock nexus 4.4 kitkat (the latest KK build) and unrooted. I don't think its a hardware problem because when I'm in recovery, there's no reboots (unless its an issue with ram, maybe?). I'm pretty sure its software related... just don't know how.

I can make a video if it would help showing some of these things... but I'm hoping someone has a secret answer that has been hiding right under my nose......

:):)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: The Strangest Problem I've Ever Encountered!

With the toolkit, have you tried reflashing stock images? That might clear whatever is going on.

From an AOSP M8