Why is my Nexus 7 continuously rebooting?

Pathh11

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 7 continuous reboots, sideload ADB gives 'Installation aborted'

My Nexus 7 started to reboot itself after c. 5 min up-time sometime after 'updating' to 4.3 in Feb '14. Now trying to make it useful again. Oddly, when I delete apps, put in a (new network since it was used regularly) wifi password, or set 'developer mode on', these changes are undone when it restarts. Even the drastic 'factory reset' asks confirm questions, but does nothing at all with respect to deleting anything.

Anyway, I follow instructions to here on androidcentral - how to manually update your Nexus. It is Build No KOT49H (bought June 2012, 16Gb). All goes well, I do the 'apply update from ADB" and have tried either the nakasi-LRX21p and the razorg-kot49 .tgz files. Both upload fine with adb over the USB, then at the end get
"Finding update package ...
Opening update package ...
Verifying update package ...
E:footer is wrong
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted."
and get back to the Android system recovery menu. (Again, "wipe data/factory reset" takes a few minutes, then when rebooted seems exactly as it was previously (and its not connected to wifi since a pw is needed, so it is not reloading all from the web).

Help please!

PS Should have added that the 'unlock bootloader' step just hangs with a message in the top left 'unlocking bootloader ...' for at least 10 min after which I turn off. Thanks.

PPS I also tried the nakasi nexus .zip file. This gives another error - "Package expects build fingerprint of ... KTU84p ...; this device has google/nakasi/grouper:4.4.2/KOT49H.937116:user/release-keys.
E:Error in /temp/update.zip (Staus 7)
Installation aborted"

Yes, mine is KOT49H, but I can't find any .zip file that mentions KOT49H - only the tgz files above.
Thanks again.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nexus 7 continuous reboots, sideload ADB gives 'Installation aborted'

My Nexus 7 started to reboot itself after c. 5 min up-time sometime after 'updating' to 4.3 in Feb '14. Now trying to make it useful again. Oddly, when I delete apps, put in a (new network since it was used regularly) wifi password, or set 'developer mode on', these changes are undone when it restarts. Even the drastic 'factory reset' asks confirm questions, but does nothing at all with respect to deleting anything.

Anyway, I follow instructions to here on androidcentral - how to manually update your Nexus. It is Build No KOT49H (bought June 2012, 16Gb). All goes well, I do the 'apply update from ADB" and have tried either the nakasi-LRX21p and the razorg-kot49 .tgz files. Both upload fine with adb over the USB, then at the end get
"Finding update package ...
Opening update package ...
Verifying update package ...
E:footer is wrong
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted."
and get back to the Android system recovery menu. (Again, "wipe data/factory reset" takes a few minutes, then when rebooted seems exactly as it was previously (and its not connected to wifi since a pw is needed, so it is not reloading all from the web).

Help please!

PS Should have added that the 'unlock bootloader' step just hangs with a message in the top left 'unlocking bootloader ...' for at least 10 min after which I turn off. Thanks.

PPS I also tried the nakasi nexus .zip file. This gives another error - "Package expects build fingerprint of ... KTU84p ...; this device has google/nakasi/grouper:4.4.2/KOT49H.937116:user/release-keys.
E:Error in /temp/update.zip (Staus 7)
Installation aborted"

Yes, mine is KOT49H, but I can't find any .zip file that mentions KOT49H - only the tgz files above.
Thanks again.
Are you currently stock, meaning no root or bootloader unlock? That can cause issues with updating or sideloading updates.

As for the .zip files, you'll need to unpack the .tgz file and find the .zip files enclosed. I'd also suggest updating all the drivers and your Android SDK/ADB package, and re-downloading the files.