Why don't I have an Internet Connection but I have strong wifi?

Marisa Rigali

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
No Internet Connection but strong WIFI

I went about 3 months without internet or wifi for my tablet and when I connected today to a very strong wifi signal, it is still telling me that it is unable to connect to the internet. Can someone help me with this?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: No Internet Connection but strong WIFI

Connect to the router with a web browser. (Look in the router's manual, or find a manual for it online.) See if the router is connected to the internet (it should have an IP address, a gateway address and at least one DNS address in Administration or Settings or some panel like that.). If it's not, call your internet provider's tech support number for help. If it does, and/or other devices connected to the router are getting internet, make sure that the Wifi (or WLAN) security encryption is NOT TKIP or TKIP + AES. Since KitKat, some phones have been having a problem with the way some routers handle TKIP. They connect, but the speed is so slow you can walk there faster than the internet signal gets there. (I've done network engineering, but the only solution I've found to the problem is the Netgear N300 router. It's about the cheapest good one made [about $35], but it works with cellphones. My expensive Linksys is taking up shelf space - it doesn't work with KitKat.)