Why does 5.0.2 crash during install?

chail60

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Stock Nexus 7, 2012. I received the downlload and notification to install 5.0.2 from 4.4.4. When it began the install, I received an error message and the install stopped. I did a factory reset, signed in, allowed all apps to finish updating, then tried again with the same result. I've tried the install several times.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Stock Nexus 7, 2012. I received the downlload and notification to install 5.0.2 from 4.4.4. When it began the install, I received an error message and the install stopped. I did a factory reset, signed in, allowed all apps to finish updating, then tried again with the same result. I've tried the install several times.
Are you, or have you previously been rooted? If so, then a factory reset won't change that and that would produce the errors because the update won't load.

chail60

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Update: After another factory reset, I only allowed the stock apps to load and update. No restore from backup. The same failure occurred "Error" during install. A couple of minutes after the Error, the tablet rebooted itself. Settings confirms that 4.4.4 is still active.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying you never received the OTA to update to 5.0 back weeks ago? I mean we've seen OEM's and Google force jump over an build, but I wonder if that is the problem that the device was never updated from 4.4.4 to 5.0 first, then onward to 5.0.2

chail60

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
No, I never received the 5.0 OTA (or 5.0.1)
. The device has been powered off for a couple of weeks. I had a chat with the Nexus help desk and he asked the same question. He says that 5.0.2 is a small upate, not a complete package and that's why it failed. He gave me a link to do a manual update from the factory images, but I haven't had time to try it yet.

DWolf1231

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
. The device has been powered off for a couple of weeks. I had a chat with the Nexus help desk and he asked the same question. He says that 5.0.2 is a small upate, not a complete package and that's why it failed. He gave me a link to do a manual update from the factory images, but I haven't had time to try it yet.

That doesn't make any sense. I never got the 5.0/5.0.1 OTA and went straight into a 5.0.2 OTA. I had massive lag issues that ultimately required a factory reset, but none of the install error issues you're reporting.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You could try side loading the OTA to Android 5.0 and then you should soon after get the OTA update to 5.0.2

The link below has the links and info needed to side load the OTA for your Nexus 7 2012 from 4.4.4 to 5.0

Update your Nexus to Lollipop using OTA packages http://www.androidcentral.com/update-your-nexus-lollipop-using-ota-packages

fury2g

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same boat. Never got the 5.0 OTA, just got the 5.0.2 last night now my tablet is stuck in a constant reboot cycle.