Has anyone got the 5.0.2. OTA update for the N7 3G yet?

Graham Thomas

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
From postings in the 2013 forum here, it looks like the update has started for the 2013 LTE version. But I've not yet seen anyone saying they've got it (OTA) for the 2012 3G model yet. Anyone?

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Got it this morning but it hadnt completely installed by the time i left for work so i wont be able to test drive it till tonight.

Graham Thomas

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I can now answer my own question. I got the update late on Thursday night. Haven't been able to report it here until now.

It seemed to go well. I downloaded the Google Now launcher and wiped the cache partition, but I didn't need to do a factory reset. Well, now I'm not sure - maybe I do need to do a reset. Today, after I'd been using my Nexus for a few hours (mainly keeping track of English football matches) it slowed down a lot. OK again after switching off and back on again after a while, but I'll have to monitor how it goes. Could it be a memory leak problem? I thought 5.0.2 was supposed to fix that.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Finally got it on my Nexus 7 but I think I'll wait a while to see what others have to say about it.

I bought a Note 4 and Note Edge this past week knowing they are both on KitKat which I have no problems with. I would be happy to keep my Nexus 7 on KitKat if I need too.

Graham Thomas

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Mine seems to have bedded down OK. There's a bit of a lag when starting apps, but that could be to do with encryption being on by default. Inside apps, things seem to move along at a reasonable pace. It's maybe still a bit too early to tell how good it is, though.

rjf111

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I got it 4 days ago - had the dreaded lag and battery issues that many have reported - did a factory reset, and all seems well - although the battery performance, while acceptable, isn't as good as it was under Kit-Kat.

Posted via the Android Central App

Graham Thomas

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I finally bit the bullet and did a factory reset at the end of last week. I chose to let my apps be restored afterwards. It took a long time to reboot after the purge, which worried me, but finally the coloured balls stopped spinning, the Android logo appeared, and all was well. There were a few things that I had to restore manually (Google ID, some IDs and passwords for online services like banking, Twitter, Dropbox, and my main WiFi settings) but it wasn't as bad as I'd feared.

Overall, I think it helped, especially with battery life. There's still some lagging, especially when apps start up for the first time after the device is switched on, but once apps are running the device is quite responsive. It's probably as good as it gets, given the ageing hardware and only 1GB RAM.

I do switch my N7 off quite regularly, so my experience might be different from that of people who leave theirs switched on all the time. I do sometimes delete some of the entries in the 'Recent' screen in case they're taking up too much memory (I don't know if they really do).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois