Nexus 7 won't turn on, windows doesn't recognize it, almost completely bricked.

spoolinator

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm having a unique problem that searching doesn't seem to find a solution for. The tldr is this (more details below): Nexus 7 wifi won't turn on, no matter how long I hold any combination of buttons. If I plug it in, the usual charging indicator won't come on. If I plug it into a windows computer, windows recognizes that *a* device has been plugged in, but it throws a "device not recognized" error. Interestingly, if it's plugged into windows and I hold the power button (or power + one of the volume buttons), windows will recognize the device disconnecting then reconnecting. Obviously the solution in a situation like this is to factory reset or flash a factory image, but neither one of those options are available if I can't even get windows to recognize the device let alone get it to the boot menu. It sounds like there's some sort of Bios/firmware problem, but I don't really know much about that or how to go about fixing it. Any ideas?

For anyone willing to read more of the details: like most people, starting with the 5.0 update my Nexus 7 slowed to a crawl, though this was ameliorated somewhat by the update to 5.01 - at least I think it was 5.01, I only ever had one update after my initial update to lollipop. It was slow, but I primarily used it for reading so I didn't worry much about it. A couple days ago, it was stuck with a black screen - it was on, but not showing anything on screen. So I power cycled and got the reboot loop that sometimes terminate in the "no command" error screen - all things that, as far as I know, started happening for most people with the update to 5.02. But I never OK'ed an update to 5.02 as far as I'm aware. Possibly my tablet skipped a step somewhere and either went from 4.X to 5.01 or from 5.00 to 5.02. Or possibly it updated to 5.02 on its own. Or maybe it never update to 5.02 and I started having a similar issue.

In any case, after turning it off and on a couple of times to no avail, I tried to factory reset. After a few minutes the screen went blank again and didn't come out of it. I tried power cycling again, but that didn't seem to do anything. Nothing would pull it out of the blank screen. At this point, it was doing exactly what I described above - no combination of button presses does anything and windows recognizes the device but it doesn't recognize what device it is. At this point I popped the Nexus open to unplug the battery so that I could make sure it was off before trying to turn it on again. It didn't seem to work, so I left it unplugged overnight just to be sure that all power was drained from the circuitry. After plugging it back in the next day, still nothing. So here I am. I should also note that the battery was fully charged at the beginning of all of this and I used multiple USB cables when plugging it into the my computer.

Donniedee

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem and none of the recommended "fixes" will work since it can't be turned on. Got fed up and went and bought an Ipad 4. It's now just a paperweight.

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem and none of the recommended "fixes" will work since it can't be turned on. Got fed up and went and bought an Ipad 4. It's now just a paperweight.

Last resort for me was the hold power down and plug the nexus into the charger..... holding the power down for 30 seconds got mine to respond....

But that said..... It was a temp fix for me because the problem was a flash storage chip that was going bad....

So, for 30 bucks (motherboard off ebay) and about 10 minutes of work, my nexus is back to normal....

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Flash memory is notoriously bad in Nexus 7's
you can pick up a used motherboard for around 16 bucks on eBay as stated above and slap it in in about 10 minutes if you're a novice. I've already had to do that once but it was well worth it ;)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey