The Nexus 7 (2012) Android 5.1 Lollipop Thread

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Flashed from 4.4.4 to 5.1 using Wugs toolkit yesterday. So far, it's working fine on my 2012. One caveat, using the Facebook app still causes problems with lag and freezes, so I uninstalled the app and use the web version of Facebook and that works well. 5.1 doing much better than 5.0 or 5.0.2 ever did for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

Maurice Reed1

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Have had 5.1for a few days now. Overall the system runs much more smoothly. Chrome not hanging now. It does sometimes get stuck briefly loading pages and the spinning circle stops briefly but it does recover and carry on.

Well worth updating.

Pitkakoski

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I really had to post on this thread as I just updated to 5.1 which I received OTA. Initial 5.0 update was a disaster for me because already slowish tablet became almost unusable after the update. Minor Lollipop updates and factory reset made my Nexus 7 usable again.
I didn't have high hopes for 5.1 but I was proven wrong. There's a night and day differences between 5.0.x and 5.1 what comes to how snappy tablet now reacts. It's better than my Sony Xperia Z1!

I wonder what Google has done with this update but for me this totally revives my desire to use my N7.

dd_uk

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 7 (2012) has been total crap since the advent of 5.0. Reading round EVERYONE was complaining and, as usual, there was a deafening silence from Google.

All around people were suggesting all sort of weird and wonderful ways of getting round this.

I contacted Google and again the deafening silence from even greater. So I waited for 5.1 in the hope that the problem would be solved.

So I downloaded and installed 5.1. WHAT A TOTAL EFFING DISASTER. IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL. So tomorrow this Nexus will be put in the dustbin and I shall go and purchase a tablet that works. I shall then send the bill to Google for reimbursement.

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I beg to differ..... 5.1 is by far a major improvement over 5.0.2.

Did you do a clean install or the OTA?

I performed a clean install.... Then I did an additional factory reset after...

Tablet is much smoother than 5.0.2 although does have a hiccup on occasion.... except when I downloaded Facebook.... Then it killed it...

So, for me 5.1 is 100% better..... and stay away from Facebook for the time being...

canawler

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Wow! I thought my wife's 7 was the only one. 5.02 was bad but 5.1 made it worse. I updated it over the air a few days ago and wiped the cache but didn't tell her. She repeatedly said how bad 5.02 was so I wanted to do a blind test to really see if 5.1 improved things. After the update she used it for about 5 minutes and asked me what was wrong with the Nexus. It had gotten MUCH worse. Apps take minutes to open, it won't connect to the wifi, web browsing is out of the question. I have virtually no apps installed other than factory stuff and Facebook and Chrome are disabled.

Last night she said the battery was at 80% when she went to sleep and it was completely dead when we got up. I didn't have time to mess with it but it still wouldn't turn on after being on the charger for 15 or so minutes. I'll see what happens with it tonight but she's basically through with it now. Even if I can get it back to KitKat she's got it in her head that it's junk and perception is everything.

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Take Facebook off.... period....

I at first disabled it and it continued to lag and stutter..... Even after I uninstalled it, I still had issues.... I wiped cache and powered on and off a couple of times before it got back to normal.... I even tried other Facebook options out there and as soon as I installed... Issues again....

So.... just uninstall it until Facebook get's their stuff together...

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Facebook... Don't get me started.. ;)
You stated FB was disabled on her N7, do you mean completely uninstalled?
I only asked for clarification because I'm curious as a lot of N7's are running a whole lot smoother now. I have two myself running 5.1 rather well, but I don't have Facebook installed. I may try a test and put Facebook on one of them and see what happens although I'm pretty sure I know what's going to happen ;)
Forgive me but screw FB ;)

canawler

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Sorry about the wording. Let me clarify, I uninstalled Facebook a few months back when I first started reading that people were having issues with it. My wife actually mentioned long ago (on KitKat) that the Facebook app was terribly slow. I had Chrome disabled while running 5.02 as I was reading about everyone having issues with it and made sure it was still disabled when I updated to 5.1.

The tablet did power up ok when I got home but I'm still not sure what drained the battery overnight. It's still super slow. Opening the recent apps scroll took over 20 seconds.

SiberianKhatru59

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Well, it sounds like I might be glad I flashed back to 4.4.4kk and will be avoiding 5.1L!

After nearly smashing my N7 with a hammer in pure, repeated frustration (not to mention Google's silence) following it's ill-advised "upgrade" to 5.02L, I finally had to learn how to flash my machine and the results are spectacular. My little N7 2012 tablet runs so well it's astounding to me that anyone would go through so much just to be able to actually use Lollipop! I realize Lollipop has usability improvements and other whiz-bang stuff, but if you have to give up the apps you wanted to use on your tablet in the first place because the OS goes wonky running them then what's the point?

DWolf1231

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, it sounds like I might be glad I flashed back to 4.4.4kk and will be avoiding 5.1L!

After nearly smashing my N7 with a hammer in pure, repeated frustration (not to mention Google's silence) following it's ill-advised "upgrade" to 5.02L, I finally had to learn how to flash my machine and the results are spectacular. My little N7 2012 tablet runs so well it's astounding to me that anyone would go through so much just to be able to actually use Lollipop! I realize Lollipop has usability improvements and other whiz-bang stuff, but if you have to give up the apps you wanted to use on your tablet in the first place because the OS goes wonky running them then what's the point?

Meh, I did a factory reset after getting 5.0.2 and everything was pretty similar to 4.4.4... except Play Music. Even Facebook was fairly reasonable, although the initial load took a while. Anyone who is complaining about Lollipop performance without trying a factory reset is wasting their time.

The 5.1 update has it running better than it did with 4.4.4. But I'm still having problems with the Play Music app. I haven't tried uninstalling the app's updates, then re-updating it, but clearing app data/cache and wiping the partition cache haven't alleviated the problems. Is anyone else experiencing this problem or am I just the lucky one?

SiberianKhatru59

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Meh, I did a factory reset after getting 5.0.2 and everything was pretty similar to 4.4.4... except Play Music. Even Facebook was fairly reasonable, although the initial load took a while. Anyone who is complaining about Lollipop performance without trying a factory reset is wasting their time.

The 5.1 update has it running better than it did with 4.4.4. But I'm still having problems with the Play Music app. I haven't tried uninstalling the app's updates, then re-updating it, but clearing app data/cache and wiping the partition cache haven't alleviated the problems. Is anyone else experiencing this problem or am I just the lucky one?

Re: my Nexus 7 2012 and the 5.02L update, let's see:

1. Wiped System cache? Check.
2. Removed all home screen widgets and groups? Check.
3. Facebook? Rarely use it, but I deleted it anyway.
4. Factory reset? After all of the above failed, yes twice.

After all of that, no joy and the tablet still locked up REGULARLY using Chrome, Play Music (I am an All-Access member so it not working sucks) and many other apps. And I mean locked up to the point I had to lean on the power button until it finally rebooted itself.

So while I'm glad yours is running well, mine certainly was NOT running well (or at all). Therefore, I am skeptical when reading the very mixed reviews of 5.1L here because in the little spare time I have to use my tablet for my own personal enjoyment, I don't want it wasted going through all of that when I can simply stick with what does work and get on with my life.

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: my Nexus 7 2012 and the 5.02L update, let's see:

1. Wiped System cache? Check.
2. Removed all home screen widgets and groups? Check.
3. Facebook? Rarely use it, but I deleted it anyway.
4. Factory reset? After all of the above failed, yes twice.

After all of that, no joy and the tablet still locked up REGULARLY using Chrome, Play Music (I am an All-Access member so it not working sucks) and many other apps. And I mean locked up to the point I had to lean on the power button until it finally rebooted itself.

So while I'm glad yours is running well, mine certainly was NOT running well (or at all). Therefore, I am skeptical when reading the very mixed reviews of 5.1L here because in the little spare time I have to use my tablet for my own personal enjoyment, I don't want it wasted going through all of that when I can simply stick with what does work and get on with my life.

Chrome is also known to cause major choke in 5.0.2.... It is very usable in 5.1....

DWolf1231

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Chrome is also known to cause major choke in 5.0.2.... It is very usable in 5.1....

Yup.

And as for the other poster... I'm not saying what YOU should or shouldn't do. If you want to stick with 4.4.4, go for it. I'm simply responding to your "My little N7 2012 tablet runs so well it's astounding to me that anyone would go through so much just to be able to actually use Lollipop" comment. My response is that mine (and many others) actually work great on 5.1 and were pretty solid on 5.0.2 after a FDR.

Like I said, I still have the one Play Music problem (and I'm also an All-Access user, so it's a big problem for me too), but I was encountering other performance issues on 4.4.4 anyway, so it's a tradeoff. It would actually be a bigger deal for me to use wug's toolkit to flash 4.4.4 at this point for this one issue. I expect that the Play Music problem will be resolved by an app or Play Services update in the near future, and it's less of a problem than it was on 5.0.2 anyway.

jaywoolfork

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a nexus 7 2012 I just recently unlocked the bootloader and rooted or , will I have to unroot/relock it before I update my tablet?

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12