Help me recover my 2012 Nexus 7

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
My N7 ended up in a boot loop after the 5.1 update. I can get to the bootloader and I can get to recovery. HOWEVER, the bootloader is still locked and the debugging mode is not enabled.

In fastboot, I can send the OEM unlock command, but the N7 screen just blinks and comes right back to the bootloader screen saying that the current status is locked.

I can go to the recovery screen and get to the option to sideload, but when I try to sideload the system file, it always says that the footer is wrong and that the signature verification failed. I've tried several different files from the Android factory images.

I've also tried the Nexus Root Toolkit and the SkipSoft Toolkit and they don't work either.

ANY help would be appreciated.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
My N7 ended up in a boot loop after the 5.1 update. I can get to the bootloader and I can get to recovery. HOWEVER, the bootloader is still locked and the debugging mode is not enabled.

In fastboot, I can send the OEM unlock command, but the N7 screen just blinks and comes right back to the bootloader screen saying that the current status is locked.

I can go to the recovery screen and get to the option to sideload, but when I try to sideload the system file, it always says that the footer is wrong and that the signature verification failed. I've tried several different files from the Android factory images.

I've also tried the Nexus Root Toolkit and the SkipSoft Toolkit and they don't work either.

ANY help would be appreciated.

Have you tried one from the Google repository?

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Still working on this N7 with no luck. Any idea if an OTG cable with a SD reader would help me out of this mess? I don't have one, but I just thought of that idea from when I was messing with an old B&N device.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Still trying to recover this N7. Anyone think I may have better luck using Linux to do this? I have my "play" box that I can put Ubuntu or Knoppix on to try to recover the tablet. I have a hard time giving up on the tablet since I know it worked fine until the 5.1 update.

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair