Where can I get a Super Charger?

Andy Webster1

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Where can I get a Super Charger

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has any idea what is going on here. My Nexus 7 (2012) takes around 10 hours to charge from 0 using the stock charger and the tablet in standby. I recently noticed that if I used my girlfriends Hudl 2 charger (2.0 amp) that it would fully charge in 3 to 4 hours. Great news, this proved there wasn't a problem with my battery, connector etc, so I bought a new Hudl 2 charger, it wasn't exactly the same charger but was rated higher at 2.1 amp. This charger performs similarly to stock and it doesn't achieve the amazing rates of my girlfriends Hudle 2 charger. I have tried this a number of times using different USB cables and it always charges much better than the stock charger. I've tried to compile some charging stats using Battery Monitor Widget.

Stock Charger. 420 mA. 11% per hour. Rated 2.0 mA

Original Hudl 2. 1275 mA. 35% per hour. Rated 2.0 mA

New Hudl 2. 420 mA. 11% per hour. Rated 2.1 mA

Any idea where can I get a charger that will perform as well as the original Hudl 2?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Where can I get a Super Charger

Check for continuity between the data pins on her charger. A short across them is sometimes used to signal the device to go into high charge rate mode. AS for where to get such a charger, get the OEM charger for her device - it'll be the same as her charger.

Also, draining the battery all the way ensures that you'll need a new battery soon. NEVER discharge a lithium battery past 40% unless you're calling for an ambulance, or you like paying for batteries. (See The Care and Feeding of Lithium Polymer Batteries.)

Andy Webster1

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for your reply Rukbat, a very interesting article with some useful tips. Perhaps I didn’t explain myself very well, I have bought the OEM charger for the Hudl 2 tablet, direct from the supplier, Tesco. Unfortunately it isn’t exactly the same piece of kit and doesn’t perform as well as my girlfriends. What I am looking for is a recommendation for a charger that can perform as well as the original Hudl 2, I’m in the UK which may restrict my options. I’ll need to check if the data pins are shorted although I’ve read that they are on the Nexus 7 (2012) stock charger and that doesn’t perform so great. I didn’t really discharge to 0%, that was just an estimate of the total charging time. The Nexus 7 (2102) was reported to fully charge in 3 to 4 hour when first produced. It still does with the original Hudl 2 charger, I just don’t seem to be able to buy one or equivalent. I've used my Nexus 7 (2102) everyday since October 2012 and the battery still holds almost as good a charge as it did when new. The only problem is slow charging, although not a great problem as I usually charge overnight. I had thought it was to do with worn connectors or battery age but the original Hudl 2 charger disproves this. I am running Cyanogenmod 11 and in every other respect it works great, considering its a bit out of date

Last edited:

ericmazariegos

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

as the person above me said, you have to buy a compatible USB cable. if the USB cable is only configured to carry 1A of charge, it will only carry 1A of charge even if it's connected to a 2A charger. I recommend Monoprice.com. they have those cables for dirt cheap. (we're talking cents here). good luck

Posted via the Android Central App

Andy Webster1

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for making the effort to reply, but if you read my post you would understand that I have eliminated USB cables being an issue.

Andy Webster1

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for making the effort to reply, but if you read my post you would understand that I have eliminated USB cables being an issue