I am at a loss of what to do to solve the problem?

GuillaumeHonore

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I am at a loss of what to do to solve the problem

I just replaced a cracked screen on my Nexxus 7 first gen. and when I power it on it goes through what appears to be a video card diagnostic by flashing a red, then green, then blue, then white, then gray scale vertical, then grayscale horizontal, then single black with white line border, then single block in center with white background, then checkerboard, then rainbow of colors, and repeats over and over. I might have missed a screen or two and the sequence might not be exact. it finally will shut off but if I push the start button it will start all over.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: I am at a loss of what to do to solve the problem

You did something wrong. But to determine what that was, a shop will have to open the tab, remove the screen and try a known-good screen to determine if it's the screen or the motherboard. It could be a bad screen that blew the motherboard, so both would have to be replaced.

That's why it's usually cheaper to pay a shop to do internal repairs - they have the tools and experience that you don't. If your "new" screen blew your motherboard, your final repair price will probably be more than the retail price of the tab.

GuillaumeHonore

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site

Thanks
If it means anything to this issue I have connected the tab to a computer and I am able to see all the files on the Nexxus. So I think the tab may be ok. Does that make sense?

cliffyk

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site

Open it up again and make sure all three display ribbon cables are properly seated--one (coming from the "center" of the device) has a plug, the other two (at the side of the case) use ZIF sockets. The one with the plug needs to click into place; the two with the ZIF sockets are side-by-side and gave me a bit of trouble getting them aligned, fully inserted and clamped down...

BTW and FWIW: My maternal grandfather (a stationary steam engineer, Scotsman and profoundly wise man) always told us that when something broke that we did not (yet) know how to fix we had two choices. Pay someone that does know how to do the repair to fix it; or, if you are too cheap or don't have the money, open it up and try to repair it yourself.

He said of the second scenario that even if you could not fix it, you would be no worse off as it didn't work anyway; and if you did fix it then you just learned how to fix "one of those"...

Last edited: