Has anyone bought a new tablet to replace their Nexus 7 2012?

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
after 3 years, my nexus is running terribly slow, and I'm fed up with it. Has anyone bought a new tablet to replace it?

I am toying with the idea of a Samsung, but dont want the bloatware, also contemplating the Nexus 9, but it has mixed reviews.

Any recommendations?

Cocophone

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I bought my wife a refurbished Lenovo S8-50 tablet. It was only $131.20 with free shipping from the Lenovo online outlet store.

She likes it. Mostly she uses it to watch movies and TV shows on Netflix and Amazon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

paulinVA

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same boat. I want to replace my cellular Nexus 7 (2012), but, if you look at reviews, the replacements aren't as good or are really expensive.

The fact that Nexus devices get new Android releases first is what killed the Nexus 7 (2012). It was okay before the lollipop nonsense. I've thought about just going back to kitkat.

cliffy223

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Been looking at the Asus Zenpad. I figured 3 years out of a mid level tablet was worth $200.

Posted via the Android Central App

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I got the Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 to replace Nexus 7. You can remove bloatware and change UI if you root.

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

paulinVA

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I am on AT&T, and I just upgraded the Nexus 7, which was on my family share plan but never had a contract, to an ASAS Memopad 7. Apparently this was supposed to be the next Nexus 7, but Google bought Motorola instead.

Much to my surprise, it was free, so, I know it will be worth the price and not worth agonizing about.

drew_t

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
You can still get the 2013 N7 at newegg for about 150. I've considered that, the various mediocre G-pad/MeMo Pad/etc tablets that Fry's periodically puts on promo, one of the Amazon tabs that also periodically is marked down, an iPad (not really a fan of the whole Apple ecosystem, but there are some types of apps I'd be interested in using that really just don't have legit counterparts in the Android sphere). I just can't quite pull the trigger because my N7 is laggy and annoying, but still functional.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

anon(5597702)

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I just got my 2012 N7 to replace the PlayBook. :)

Sounds like all the N7s in this thread are still running, albeit slowly. Why not do a factory reset to refresh them? Else, downgrade to KitKat is a viable option. I kept mine at 4.4.4 and have been happy with performance (mainly used for streaming video; nothing too heavy.)

Hope you all can give your N7s a new lease on life or find a viable alternative.

anon(5597702)

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I just got my 2012 N7 to replace the PlayBook. :)

Sounds like all the N7s in this thread are still running, albeit slowly. Why not do a factory reset to refresh them? Else, downgrade to KitKat is a viable option. I kept mine at 4.4.4 and have been happy with performance (mainly used for streaming video; nothing too heavy.)

Hope you all can give your N7s a new lease on life or find a viable alternative.

If you're feeling adventurous, I'd also try a custom ROM. I haven't gone that route yet, but have rooted Android phones in the past so I could try out ROMs. Not too difficult at all.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I've got the Nexus 7 2013 model and it works perfect for me, great little device. My wife also has a Lenovo Yoga 2 or something like that, both tablets were bought to replace our 2012 Nexus devices :)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
No. I still have my 2012 N7 and use it occasionally. I don't find it too terribly slow, but then again I don't do a lot of heavy duty gaming and stuff on it.

However, I upgraded my primary device to a Note 4, so I am finding I have less and less actual desire to use a tablet-sized device.

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I ended up going with the Nexus 9. Haven't had too much time to play with it yet, have to decide if the 4:3 bothers me or not

kasplash

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I just did a factory reset, then restored. It came back with 5.1.1 and it's working great! I figured "what the heck, it's useless now, might as well reset it, it might go back to jelly bean or so." I'm really happy with it now!

In the meantime, I bought a Dell Venue 10 7040 (with the keyboard/cover). It's great! Has a few Dell apps, but pretty close to stock Android, just updated to 5.1.1.

fuddster

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a Shield Tablet in November and keep my Nexus 7 around for my 18 month old granddaughter to play with. Thanks to her mother and grandmother she knows how to open the gallery app and swipe through pictures and videos, and I have the YouTube Kids app and the Disney Junior app loaded up for her.

If she breaks it, it's no big deal.

Posted via Android Central App