Ever replaced your battery on an ASUS Nexus 7?

Songbill

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I've had my ASUS Nexus 7 for well over 3 years and have been very pleased, using it almost every day for news, games, and whatever. However, over the past 4 months or so, charging the battery and the length of charge have become more and more frustrating. I don't know if the Nexus 7 battery is prone to "wear out" after 3 years or more, but I am thinking of possibly ordering a new battery and installing it myself. (My Nexus 7 is no longer under warranty.) Has anyone ever done this and, if so, how did it work out?

According to my web searches, it's easy (and inexpensive) to order a new OEM specifications battery (C11-ME370T) for a Nexus 7. (There are many new ones listed on eBay.) Also, there are websites that tell and show you how to do the fairly easy removal/install procedure. The only concern I have is that upon removal of the old battery, all my stored memory, caches, and settings on the device will be lost and I'll have to manually build them all back up again from scratch after I install the new battery. Does anyone have any experience with this and did the NEXUS 7 retain all your stored memory and settings?
:)

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I've had my ASUS Nexus 7 for well over 3 years and have been very pleased, using it almost every day for news, games, and whatever. However, over the past 4 months or so, charging the battery and the length of charge have become more and more frustrating. I don't know if the Nexus 7 battery is prone to "wear out" after 3 years or more, but I am thinking of possibly ordering a new battery and installing it myself. (My Nexus 7 is no longer under warranty.) Has anyone ever done this and, if so, how did it work out?

According to my web searches, it's easy (and inexpensive) to order a new OEM specifications battery (C11-ME370T) for a Nexus 7. (There are many new ones listed on eBay.) Also, there are websites that tell and show you how to do the fairly easy removal/install procedure. The only concern I have is that upon removal of the old battery, all my stored memory, caches, and settings on the device will be lost and I'll have to manually build them all back up again from scratch after I install the new battery. Does anyone have any experience with this and did the NEXUS 7 retain all your stored memory and settings?
:)

Welcome to Android Central!

I would try to make a backup of everything. Once you do that try to swap the battery out pretty quick, there is always a little bit of power left in the tablet and that should hopefully retain everything for you.

Songbill

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
OK, in case anybody else is considering replacing their battery...........

I went ahead and bought a brand new battery, for 11 bucks on eBay. It was very easy to remove the old one and install the new one. Unfortunately, the new battery, just like the old one, would not charge no matter how long I left it connected up on the charger, even for days. What was weird is that the small "lightning" icon in the upper right corner of the screen indicated the Nexus 7 was charging when plugged in. So, I am now convinced that I have a charging circuitry problem, not a battery problem. Perhaps a small electronic or digital component has "burned out". I just don't know and can't find anything on the web or in forums that suggests a specific remedy or repair if that is the case.

HOWEVER, now that I have two batteries, I have found that I can do the "jump start" technique for charging a battery while it is removed from the Nexus 7, by connecting it directly to a USB port on a computer using an old USB cable with the red and black wires exposed on one end. There are several YouTube videos that show how to do this trick. It works slick, and takes less than an hour to fully charge a battery. I now use one battery in the Nexus 7 while simultaneously charging the other on my computer. Both my old and my new battery each fully charge this way with no problem. It's a bit of a nuisance (a minor one) to do so and swap out the batteries when one runs down, but at least I get to keep my Nexus 7 alive and running!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma