Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Nexus Tablet from LG

From Unwired View:
    According to Mobile-Review’s Eldar Murtazin, Google is indeed working on it’s own branded tablet, which is scheduled for release sometime in mid-summer or early fall. Upon release, this device will get the latest Android 3.x version of OS, which will become available to partners only after Google’s tablet is out. This time the hardware partner making the tablet for Google, is LG.
    The article also claims that pre-Honeycomb tablets won't be upgraded:
    There was also one more interesting quip about Android 3.0 in Eldar’s article. According to him, if a hardware partner releases the tablet on Android 2.x version of OS, as per licensing agreement for Android 3.0, they are not allowed to update Android 2.x tablets to 3.0 version.

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I predicted this...Next Nexus would be a tablet, it makes sense, and I think it's a good idea for Google to do.
    Devices Past to Present
    • Blackberry Bold 9000
    • HTC Aria
    • Samsung Captivate
    • Google Nexus S
    • Moto Xoom

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

I don't believe the second part. HTC said the Flyer would get Honeycomb, and I doubt they would go out on a limb like that without being sure.

Global Posts
    807 Global Posts
    ROM
    Buglessbeast/Stock

I like the second part actually (sorry guys). They aren't as capable and probably wouldn't be well optimized for Honeycomb. Though The HTC Flyer/EVO View should be able to just fine.
    So many phones, so little time.

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Quote Originally Posted by EggoEspada View Post
    I like the second part actually (sorry guys). They aren't as capable and probably wouldn't be well optimized for Honeycomb. Though The HTC Flyer/EVO View should be able to just fine.
    I like it too, except for a few that could handle Honeycomb (Flyer, Streak 7, G Tab). I
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by ls377 View Post
    I don't believe the second part. HTC said the Flyer would get Honeycomb, and I doubt they would go out on a limb like that without being sure.
    I've always taken "upgradable to [next version]" claims with a grain of salt. From day one, the Flyer/View was off my list when I saw that it wasn't shipping with Honeycomb. The people who buy it are the same people who complain about the Samsung phones they bought that shipped with Eclair.

The second part (if true) is the most anti open-source thing I've ever read, and the final reason for many to never buy, or support, an Android tablet.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    I've always taken "upgradable to [next version]" claims with a grain of salt. From day one, the Flyer/View was off my list when I saw that it wasn't shipping with Honeycomb. The people who buy it are the same people who complain about the Samsung phones they bought that shipped with Eclair.
    The difference is, the Samsung phones got updated.

Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    The second part (if true) is the most anti open-source thing I've ever read, and the final reason for many to never buy, or support, an Android tablet.
    This. I think its a lie, but it still scares me.

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I don't see why a tablet at 2.X couldn't be updated.
    Devices Past to Present
    • Blackberry Bold 9000
    • HTC Aria
    • Samsung Captivate
    • Google Nexus S
    • Moto Xoom

Isn't the xoom the "Nexus tablet"?

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    ROM
    cm7 on N1 Rooted Atrix

Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    You are absolutely right. Google is cracking down.

Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7.1

Quote Originally Posted by RacecarBMW View Post
    I see the Xoom like the OG Droid, it introduced another major step in vanilla Android but its not 100% Google.
    Siemens CF62T> Samsung T329 Stripe Black> MyTouch 3G Black (Android 1.6 Donut)> Blackberry Bold 9700 (5.0.0.330)> Samsung T219 Brown (backup crap dumbphone)> Google/HTC Nexus One (CM7.2)> Google/LG Nexus 4 (Android 4.2.2)

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9

What software comes on a tablet matters not to me. I'll root it a.s.a.p. and put the latest OS on anyway. I'm more interested in the hardware inside. Right now I'm excited for the Samsung 10.1. I'll most likely sell my iPad for that.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. --Cassis, John

a google nexus made by LG would be nice. at least im expecting lg to do a better job than what motorola did with their xoom. pretty excited for this one. pure android experience on a tab and fast updates, its possible that this nexus tab will have 3.1, probably a more finish and mature version of 3.0., XD.
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

Now a Nexus Tab!? I was wanting the Galaxy Tab 10.1, but if this is true I might get this instead. It better be released soon because on June 8th that 10.1 will be mine.

Now this rumor just change my whole plans about buying an android tablet. It just sucks that it won't come any sooner, assuming its realy true.

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts

There is good reason why this statement is probably true. Dual-Core processors are a requirement for Honeycomb.......Ah-ha......
    Smarty Pants

ROM
    Stock

Google is just trying to shoot down Assles future yPad with LG's 3D tech, Google FTW.
    I dont necassarily believe google would lock it down that way, but if I am wrong this will be my last android phone, and I jump to windows an say F'em just on principle
    Im T rop per and I approve this message
    Thanks for watching = T

I thought the G-Slate was the "Nexus" tablet? It's made by LG and runs stock Honeycomb. It's just not called "Nexus Tablet"

How much different can Google make it?

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7.0.3.1 w/ LPP

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel611 View Post
    I thought the G-Slate was the "Nexus" tablet? It's made by LG and runs stock Honeycomb. It's just not called "Nexus Tablet"

How much different can Google make it?
    therefore its not the Nexus tablet stop trying to speculate "wasn't this the nexus tablet?" or "isn't that the nexus tablet?"

if it has a model name already then its not a nexus tablet....the nexus 1 and nexus s didnt have code names...people knew them as the N1 or NS

and to answer your second question, google pretty much asks LG to build the hardware whereas every once of software is Google's doing (i think...at least thats what i was brought to believe)
    ROM: CM 7.0.3.1 build
    Kernel: Tiamat 4.0.3 sbc
    Recovery: Amon_Ra v2.3

"Speeding never killed anyone, its suddenly coming to a stop that will get you" -- Jeremy Clarkson

If I helped you in anyway, please hit the "THANKS" button thats right over there >>

[HL]Formally ndRoiD-haZr-329[/HL]
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by RacecarBMW View Post
    It's conspicuously not a Nexus branded tablet, why begs the question, "Why?" Evidently the Xoom is the G1 of tablets rather than the Nexus One. I think Google's trying to assert more control over their premier partners (Moto, Samsung, et al) by more stringent branding requirements, like which tablet gets knighted with the Nexus label, and which ones get the Powered by Google logo.