Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Ask me about the new Nexus 7!

Now that the dust has settled somewhat from Google's "breakfast" event yesterday, we're back home with our hands on the new Nexus 7. A whole lot has changed from the original version of this device, and we're here to answer any questions we can about it.

Ask me about the new Nexus 7!-2013-07-25-14.06.33.jpg

So let's get to it! What do you want to know about the new Nexus 7?
    LG Nexus 5 / Galaxy S5 // T-Mobile / AT&T
    Thanked by 3:
    Ziga Radsel likes this.

Default Re: Ask me about the new Nexus 7!

Two questions if I may....First, I know there is an updated processor in the New N7, but is the performance (loading apps, switching from one app to another) noticeably better? Second, the audio is supposedly greatly improved from the previous N7, can you confirm?
    Thanked by:
    dazed1 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by pbelfi View Post
    Two questions if I may....First, I know there is an updated processor in the New N7, but is the performance (loading apps, switching from one app to another) noticeably better? Second, the audio is supposedly greatly improved from the previous N7, can you confirm?
    1) have to say that the performance is extremely fast. I'm one of the people that has a rather sluggish original Nexus 7, but comparing directly to modern phones with the highest specs, this new N7 seems to perform very well. Haven't found a single hiccup yet.

2) The speakers do seem drastically louder than the original (double the speakers helps), but I haven't listened to enough music to be able to critique their quality. Going to sit down with a movie this weekend and see how they sound overall.
    Thanked by 4:

I had the Nexus 10 and found that the processor had a hard time pushing the high resolution and it just didn't seem as fast as the original N7, have you noticed and lag loading webpages or graphics?

Also, how is the build quality? I returned at least 3 of the original due to poor production and screen lift.
    qnet and pprichar like this.

how are the new N7's speakers arranged?

The only experience I have with Android is the Galaxy Tab 2 7" How does the New Nexus compare as far as performance. The Tab 2 was a bit laggy at times. How does the performance compare to say an iPad Mini?

How's the wifi reception? I have noticed my other devices all seem to get better wifi reception than my current original Nexus 7.

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Have you seen any of the "screen lift" issues the original had? One of the few things that bugged me about the original.

How are the ergonomics?
    -Anything annoying about the buttons, cameras, etc.?
    -How does the back feel? Any comparison to the original in this department?

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts

How well does the Nexus 4 charging orb work with the new Nexus 7 (ease of placing the tablet on orb, charge time, etc)? Thanks in advance.

Is it worth upgrading from the original Nexus 7 to this, or is it more for the people who passed last time?

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    ROM

What is the quality like of the back camera? If you have an iPad mini on hand to compare, which is better?

Global Posts
    720 Global Posts

Is it true that there are no pogo plugs? Strangely, that could be a deal-breaker for me, since that means no real landscape dock.

Is there haptic feedback?
    evergreen778 likes this.

Does the New Nexus 7 support Square (i.e. a microphone / 4 way jack)?
    YAYTech likes this.

Does the new Nexus 7 support Miracast? (Screen Mirroring / Miracast button in the quick panel or settings)
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    Now that the dust has settled somewhat from Google's "breakfast" event yesterday, we're back home with our hands on the new Nexus 7. A whole lot has changed from the original version of this device, and we're here to answer any questions we can about it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-07-25 14.06.33.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	456.0 KB 
ID:	74803

So let's get to it! What do you want to know about the new Nexus 7?

Is the build quality better? One of the things that stopped me from getting the original was the reports of screen lift, messed up touch responsiveness, and a creaky back.

How is the screen? Colours, viewing angles, brightness? Also is there any haptic feedback?

By the way, lucky you! :-)

Who is manufacturer ASUS? Does it have gorilla glass3

Sent from my Xolo_X900 using AC Forums mobile app
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by radyoactive View Post
    I had the Nexus 10 and found that the processor had a hard time pushing the high resolution and it just didn't seem as fast as the original N7, have you noticed and lag loading webpages or graphics?

Also, how is the build quality? I returned at least 3 of the original due to poor production and screen lift.
    The Nexus 10 has a pretty insanely high resolution screen that pushes the limits of its processor. As for the Nexus 7, 1920x1200 is more of a "standard" resolution and I haven't noticed any issues in normal use. Have yet to put it through intense gaming though.

Quote Originally Posted by windiddy View Post
    how are the new N7's speakers arranged?
    There are dual speakers -- one at the top of the device and one at the bottom -- near the edges but still firing "away" from you.

Quote Originally Posted by lamb2471 View Post
    How's the wifi reception? I have noticed my other devices all seem to get better wifi reception than my current original Nexus 7.
    I unfortunately only live in a small apartment (thank you, downtown Seattle), but I haven't had any issues with reception. Can't say I ever had issues with the original though.

Quote Originally Posted by psyke45 View Post
    Have you seen any of the "screen lift" issues the original had? One of the few things that bugged me about the original.
    Only time will tell with things like that, but this one is holding up just fine so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanko View Post
    How are the ergonomics?
    -Anything annoying about the buttons, cameras, etc.?
    -How does the back feel? Any comparison to the original in this department?
    The buttons and ports are in the same places as the original, save for the headphone jack which has moved to the top.

The back feels nice. I was worried about the thinness hurting usability, but now that the device is narrower it seems easier to hold in one hand if you have the right angle to your fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Batting1000 View Post
    What is the quality like of the back camera? If you have an iPad mini on hand to compare, which is better?
    It doesn't seem to have too many frills -- just a basic 5MP shooter. I'll be putting it through its paces for the full review, but right now I dont think it's going to blow anyone away. At this price point I'm not surprised either.

Don't have an iPad Mini at the moment to compare, but I haven't heard great things about that camera either.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance14 View Post
    Is it true that there are no pogo plugs? Strangely, that could be a deal-breaker for me, since that means no real landscape dock.
    No pogo plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by brendonsled View Post
    Is there haptic feedback?
    Just like the original, there's no vibration motor.
    Thanked by:
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by acam333 View Post
    Is the build quality better? One of the things that stopped me from getting the original was the reports of screen lift, messed up touch responsiveness, and a creaky back.
    Build quality does seem better. Plastic on the sides feels more expensive, and the whole thing feels more "dense" on account of it being thinner and narrower. I think that it has a feel that is far nicer than the price.

Quote Originally Posted by kgh00007 View Post
    How is the screen? Colours, viewing angles, brightness? Also is there any haptic feedback?

By the way, lucky you! :-)
    The screen is good. Can't see the pixels, and viewing angles/colors seem great so far. Still have to use it outdoors more.

Quote Originally Posted by dharmik28 View Post
    Who is manufacturer ASUS? Does it have gorilla glass3

Sent from my Xolo_X900 using AC Forums mobile app
    Asus, yes. Gorilla Glass, not sure but no mention was made of it at the announcement.

How's the battery life so far?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by Vance14 View Post
    A landscape dock would still be possible without pogo pins, since it has built-in wireless charging.
    Thanked by:
    Stang68 and HawaiianLaker like this.

How good does the screen density look, and how vividly does it display color?

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy tab with Android 4.2.2
    Be sure and hit the thanks button if anything I said was helpful to you!
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast