Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Debating on buying now or waiting a bit...

Apparently, my local Best Buy has the new Nexus 7 in stock already. Apparently, some people are being turned away, but I'm still going to try (I have to get there for a Chromecast anyway...) If my local store has it, should I get it now or wait until more reviews pour in? It's a very solid device based on what I've seen so far.
    I'll have an Ice Cream Sandwich with Jelly Beans on the side. Oh, and can I get a slice of Key Lime Pie?

Default Re: Debating on buying now or waiting a bit...

I too am split. I'd like to update my original Nexus 7, but I'm curious to see what Apple does with the iPad mini. If Apple comes out with a "Retina" mini in the next couple months that is competitive with the Nexus 7, I'll also wait for some reviews of the new Nexus 7.

My "techie" side says "Buy it!", but my financial side says:"Let's wait a bit."

according to verge review the device got a solid 9. check out AC review, looks like a solid device.
    Also, according to the benchmark its a huge improvement. New N7 fixes and adds a lot of complaints with the original.

Good luck at the store, it would be cool if they sold it to you early. It seems like a very worthy successor to the original Nexus 7.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ZL

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikepolinske View Post
    I too am split. I'd like to update my original Nexus 7, but I'm curious to see what Apple does with the iPad mini. If Apple comes out with a "Retina" mini in the next couple months that is competitive with the Nexus 7, I'll also wait for some reviews of the new Nexus 7.
    I had the same dilemma, until I looked at the iPad mini's price tag...$429 for 32gb wifi! Jeebus, a Retina mini would be a pretty sweet device, but not for $160 more than the N7.

Just ordered the 32MB version from Amazon. It will replace the iPod Touch 5 I carry in my pocket, and nicely complement the Nexus 10 we bought last December. Looks like a terrific device.

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigFoot48 View Post
    Just ordered the 32MB version from Amazon. It will replace the iPod Touch 5 I carry in my pocket, and nicely complement the Nexus 10 we bought last December. Looks like a terrific device.
    You sure it's the 2013 version? I only see the old model on Amazon with the 1280x800 resolution

Nevermind I found the link to the new model nothing to see here
    Last edited by Dezolis; 07-26-2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: wrong info

lol, why does everyone talk about the 'retina' display? It just means it has a high DPI, which the new N7 has the highest DPI of any tablet on the market, even the iPads.

The 2013 Nexus 7 has a DPI of 323 and the iPad 3 has a DPI of 263.

Quote Originally Posted by Diknak View Post
    lol, why does everyone talk about the 'retina' display? It just means it has a high DPI, which the new N7 has the highest DPI of any tablet on the market, even the iPads.

The 2013 Nexus 7 has a DPI of 323 and the iPad 3 has a DPI of 263.
    I think you mean PPI (pixels per inch)
    Be sure and hit the thanks button if anything I said was helpful to you!

Am seeing 16 gb and even 32 gb original N7's on local Craigs List (SF Bay Area) for around $100-$120. I still find it hard to justify owning one of these whether the 2013 model or original when I have a GS3, which does everything and more. And Craigs List is filled with these devices from people that bought one, used it for a couple of months and never touched it again. Living in one of the tech centers of the country I rarely see someone carrying one of these around which is an indication it's a niche market.. Thoughts?

Sorry I couldn't find the new one at Amazon, do you have a link?

Sent from planet earth

Quote Originally Posted by mikepolinske View Post

My "techie" side says "Buy it!", but my financial side says:"Let's wait a bit."
    The rumor is that the mini will get a faster processor on the next gen, but no retina level display until the generation after that. Apple like to milk their cows dry!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flacousa View Post
    Sorry I couldn't find the new one at Amazon, do you have a link?
    Sure. Amazon.com: Google Nexus 7 FHD Tablet (7-Inch, 32GB, Black): Computers & Accessories

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

If you can't find it at Best Buy (or they won't sell you one for some reason), try GameStop. I've got one on hold right now for after work (went through their website and selected in store pick-up rather than calling them).

Quote Originally Posted by jontalk View Post
    Am seeing 16 gb and even 32 gb original N7's on local Craigs List (SF Bay Area) for around $100-$120. I still find it hard to justify owning one of these whether the 2013 model or original when I have a GS3, which does everything and more. And Craigs List is filled with these devices from people that bought one, used it for a couple of months and never touched it again. Living in one of the tech centers of the country I rarely see someone carrying one of these around which is an indication it's a niche market.. Thoughts?
    Tablets are a niche market? That's news to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jontalk View Post
    I suspect most people are like me and view the tablet as adjunct to their phone and/or laptop. Something to use at home or on travel to browse the web, read books, game, text ,etc. I live also in the Bay Area and almost never take my tablet with me. But at home I use it all the time and never touch my phone. With applications like TableTalk I can text through my phone via the Wifi connection and have a much bigger screen than my DNA to run multiple apps at once. So at home my phone lives in drawer charging on a Qi charger waiting for me to grab it on the way out.

I use my iPad evey single day ... More times than I go to the loo in a day!

I was referring to the Nexus 7 which compared to sales of smart phones or even iPads seems small in comparison..Wasn't inferring it's inferior, I just find it hard to justify it as compared to the overall functionality of a current Android smart phone with a big screen. :0
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Coyote View Post
    If you can't find it at Best Buy (or they won't sell you one for some reason), try GameStop. I've got one on hold right now for after work (went through their website and selected in store pick-up rather than calling them).

Tablets are a niche market? That's news to me.

I grabbed one from best buy a couple of hours ago, and loving it

Posted via Android Central App on New Nexus 7
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

So, I actually did get y Nexus 7 today, along with a Chromecast. I feel complete.
    I'll have an Ice Cream Sandwich with Jelly Beans on the side. Oh, and can I get a slice of Key Lime Pie?

Im waiting for an lte version

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

Yes they do. They prefer to keep high profit margins, but I think eventually it'll end up biting them in the ****. They make very good products and sometimes they're worth the price but other times, they're overpriced.

I have a full size iPad which I use all the time, but it's too heavy to use for reading in bed. The OG Nexus 7 is the perfect size for reading in bed or taking to church.

I'm torn because I have a Nexus 4 and not sure if it's worth the price to gain 2.3 inches in screen size? Does that really make a huge difference to drop $269?

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Karrott9 View Post
    I'm torn because I have a Nexus 4 and not sure if it's worth the price to gain 2.3 inches in screen size? Does that really make a huge difference to drop $269?

Posted via Android Central App
    It does make a difference. I use my new N7 for home use only and use my N4 when I'm away from home. For games and multimedia, the Nexus 7 is perfect size with a great screen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

I bought one from best buy this afternoon and have been playing with it all day. Have it here next to my OG N7 and its like day and night. Screen and resolution are crazy better. Build quality is much more solid. Went with the 32gb version (don't know why, I barely used the space on my 16gb).

Definitely worth the upgrade.

I had also tried to get a Chromecast but the dumb sales lady told me they were discontinued. But that a best buy across town had 10 of them. Gonna make that trip in the morning.

Sent from my New Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

I would say there's no reason to wait to buy it. It's not like the price is going to drop anytime soon, for at least several months, and even then it won't be by much. keep in mind, google is making very little off of these tablets to begin with. they probably make most of their money from the nexus 7 by gouging prices between the 16 and 32gb models. they make most of their money from ad revenue, and their tablets are designed to increase their ad revenue by building a tablet around google.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast