Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7 versus Transformer Prime

I've had a Prime for a while, now, and I paid a lot of money for the thing. I thought a 10-ish inch tablet would be awesome, and I thought for sure I'd eventually buy the keyboard connector. Never bought the keyboard connector, and while I'm not unhappy with a 10" screen, after getting to hold and play around with the new Nexus 7 earlier today, I really started to feel like I might enjoy a smaller tablet better. Not to mention, I had high hopes the Prime would get good custom ROM support, and for the most part, it always seemed pretty lackluster in that regard.

Part of me REALLY wants to buy a new Nexus 7, but I've kinda been spending a lot of money, lately, so I feel like I should just not bother. There's also the fact that I feel bad about buying a new tablet when the other one I have (that I paid $400-500 for...) works just fine.

I dunno... Anyone think it's worth the trade-off, or should I stick with my Prime?

Default Re: Nexus 7 versus Transformer Prime

i feel your pain, brother.

i have a prime, and it is a fine machine. yet i find i spent more time on a 5 inch phone, even though that is a smidge too small. the 7" seems about right to me. maybe 8", but i never held one of them., . the prime is just too big for me, and so i just ordered the nexus 7. my son will dig the prime, so at least it'll go to good use

Default Re: Nexus 7 versus Transformer Prime

I was in the same situation as you, deciding whether to upgrade my Prime to the new Nexus 7 FHD (N7). I have been generally pleased with the Prime but getting more and more intolerant of the sluggish web page loading and poor wifi performance. Even more importantly I had come to realize that I spend most of my time on the device reading (e-books, web browsing, twitter, etc.) with the occasional game or composing a text or email. Ever since using my Uncle's Nexus 10 I'd been longing for a faster, high pixel density tablet but the 10" was decidedly too big for my needs.

Then along comes the new N7. I spent a couple of days agonizing over the decision to buy it but I ultimately pulled the trigger and I couldn't be happier. Performance is way better than the Prime in every way. Web browsing is particularly more enjoyable due to much faster page rendering. On the Prime web browsing was infuriatingly slow without the Browser2Ram hack. And even with Browser2Ram I think the N7 is faster. My only real concern prior to buying the N7 was that web pages would be too small to read comfortably due to the high resolution screen. But this turned out to be a non-issue due to how sharp the screen on this thing is. It is hard to overstate just how good the screen is on the new N7 and it makes reading a real pleasure.

I find the size of the N7 to be nearly perfect. Maybe an 8" would be even better but I've never used one so I can't say. My feeling is that an 8" might be too long at the same aspect ratio. The weight is almost half that of the Prime and quite noticeable and less awkward/fatiguing. Also, the stereo speakers is a nice upgrade. Too bad they are rear facing but they aren't bad and definitely better then the Prime's single speaker. I'm a pretty good typist but I've always found thumb typing easier on a touchscreen which is another benefit I like about the N7. The 7" screen is just better for thumb typing.

There are however a few potential drawbacks worth mentioning which are:

1. No SD card slot or SD card adapter. But you can reportedly still use an USB-OTG cable. I haven't tried this so I can't verify.
    2. No HDMI port. However it does support Slimport so for another $30 or so you can get that functionality back.
    3. No keyboard dock but it doesn't sound like you care about this anyway. Bluetooth and I think even USB keyboards would work as an alternative (minus the extra battery life).
    4. Probably some others I can't think of.

Of course I can't advise you how to spend your money, but for my money it was a worthwhile upgrade with no buyer's remorse whatsoever. Have you considered selling your Prime to help ease the pain? If your Prime is still in good condition you could sell it on Swappa for probably $150-$200. An even easier way would be to do a trade-in with Amazon which will get you between $100-$133 in good condition. That could cover half the cost of the N7 at least.

Good luck,
    Scott