Am I the only one who doesn't love the ergonomics?

rumatt

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a hell of a time using the keyboard efficiently in landscape mode. I think the wide side bezels make landscape usability significantly worse. For example it puts the home key just out of reach from both thumbs.

I find myself wanting to prop it up and type with my fingers. If I'm going to download that, I have my 10.

Am I the only one who isn't in love and is thinking of returning it?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Did you use the orginal N7? The size of those bezels are about the same size (The bezels on the long sides are quite a bit smaller).

Or is it the sides with the smaller bezels you don't like? I tend to almost never type in landscape on my tablets.

Only issue with ergonomics I've come across is it is very easy to put your hands over the speakers when holding it in landscape.

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
No, you aren't alone. I'm a bit bothered by the super-thin side bezels for holding in portrait mode, as I can't effectively grip the device with one hand without my thumb hitting the screen, and my hands are really small. It seems they intend for you to hold it by either cupping the back (awkward for me), or grip it like a book or magazine from the bottom. If I were keeping the unit for myself, it would definitely need a tpu or hard shell case to add a little on the sides for me to hold it comfortably.

taxmandan

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm not fond of the ergonomics either. The back feels slippery and the sides cut into your hands a little bit. I plan on getting one of the Official cases when they become available and I figure that will solve those problems.

choclab1

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I like the new size. The thinness is great compared to my old nexus 7. The bezels feel very comparable to me.

Posted via Android Central App on New Nexus 7

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
In portrait mode I hold with thumb on left side and a couple fingers on right and pinkie supporting underneath, and in landscape I hold in one hand with it resting on my horizontal thumb and back resting against my fingers. Both positions are comfortable so I'm OK with it.

The edges are a little harsher than the first gen, but I like the feel of the back more.

Posted from my 2013 nexus 7

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
In portrait mode, your pinkie should be under the unit holding it up.. the next finger up and your middle finger should be holding the spine on 1 side and your thumb should be straight up holding the spine on the other side.. your index finger should be propping the unit up in the back... I have found this to be the easiest way to support the unit for any given length of time.. but, we DO NEED SOME CASES! for this unit.. I find it inexcusable that more accessories were not already on the market at the time of release.. I don't care if some of us got our units a few days earlier than most or not..

rumatt

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Did you use the orginal N7? The size of those bezels are about the same size (The bezels on the long sides are quite a bit smaller).

I did not own the original 7. I have spent time on a Kindle fire though, and despite it being slow and annoying in many ways, I found typing in landscape mode much more natural and less error prone than on the 7.

Maybe a case will help.

bucketheadmn

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
After using it for a few hours today I love the ergonomics. I am coming from a iPad 2 and the smaller form factor is great.

Posted via Android Central App

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I think its a little too narrow to type well in portrait and too wide to type in landscape. I don't mind the narrowness of portrait but I really wish they could have trimmed a bit off the wide bezels.

rumatt

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I think its a little too narrow to type well in portrait and too wide to type in landscape. I don't mind the narrowness of portrait but I really wish they could have trimmed a bit off the wide bezels.

Exactly. The 7 in landscape is wider than the 10 in portrait.

I have come to the conclusion that what I am looking for is a 4x3 tablet. Once they make one with android and a non-craptastic resolution, I'll be buying it.

puregoogle

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Typing is a breeze for me but I'll admit landscape typing is iffy. But I like how they offset the camera so your thumb doesn't block it in landscape.

Sent from my 2013 Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

flacousa

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I have the 2012 N7 and very seldom type, I do 99% swiping and find that doing it in portrait mode is easier since it is a more compact keyboard.

Have you tried swiping in either landscape our portrait mode?

Sent from planet earth

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
it has the exact same screen size as the original nexus 7. the only difference is the bordering. so any perceived differences, are just that, perceived. my hands are so large, I can't use the home keys on a full sized keyboard, at least not comfortably. so if you're trying to use full hand typing on a 7 inch screen, you're doing it wrong in the first place. these screen sizes are made for 2 finger typing, which is what I do on the pc anyways, at quite a fast pace, with a WPM faster than most professional typers that use all 10 fingers. I would say index finger typing would be better than thumb typing for this device, and you also have to have the right orientation of both you and the tablet in order to maximize comfort and speed.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
it has the exact same screen size as the original nexus 7. the only difference is the bordering. so any perceived differences, are just that, perceived. my hands are so large, I can't use the home keys on a full sized keyboard, at least not comfortably. so if you're trying to use full hand typing on a 7 inch screen, you're doing it wrong in the first place. these screen sizes are made for 2 finger typing, which is what I do on the pc anyways, at quite a fast pace, with a WPM faster than most professional typers that use all 10 fingers. I would say index finger typing would be better than thumb typing for this device, and you also have to have the right orientation of both you and the tablet in order to maximize comfort and speed.

I don't usually like having to put down the tablet to type using my index fingers. And by usually, I mean all the time.

keilflex

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Old and new, the screens aren't same size. Just put me side by side. New one is tad taller and old one tad wider. The actual screen that displays. Not that glass itself. Cause i was trying to think,,, if the screens are same size and Jerry proved that top and bottom bezels are same size then how is the new one a little taller overall. Came to realize screens are not the same.

leif1981

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
The old one I always used in portrait mode - landscape just for games or videos. Maybe it's just me, but for reading portrait is way more comfortable for the eyes I think and you can hold it with one hand then.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
The old one I always used in portrait mode - landscape just for games or videos. Maybe it's just me, but for reading portrait is way more comfortable for the eyes I think and you can hold it with one hand then.

I agree, I think a 7in display is useless in landscape for anything other than games. I use my 1st Gen Nexus in portrait. I read like that as well as I am able to span the device with my hands.

dmcincubus

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I actually wish the bezels on the sides were as big as the original nexus 7. Sounds petty, but it's an adjustment when typing and navigating the Web, etc. My hands are big and I almost always prefer holding my tablet in portrait position. Makes it a little harder with such small side bezels. My hand holding the tablet seems to ever so slightly touch the very edge of the screen and interferes with things.

No big deal. Just an adjustment.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I agree, I think a 7in display is useless in landscape for anything other than games. I use my 1st Gen Nexus in portrait. I read like that as well as I am able to span the device with my hands.

I disagree. Landscape is not useless for anything but games. I use landscape mode for everything including, email, web browsing, watching videos, gaming, reading, and typing this post. I guess it is just my opinion, but landscape works much nicer for tablets than portrait.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy tab with Android 4.2.2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze