Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7 tragic design flaw

Got the device yesterday. It's wonderful but one issue might be the dealbreaker for me: the back-facing speakers. I find shaping my hands to cups so I can hear more than the other people in the room awkward to say the least. I also find it surprising that Asus/Google opted to leave the upper and lower bezel space unused for such an obvious purpose. Instead of putting speakers there like HTC did with the One, there's *nothing* there, and speakers on the back. An astonishing lack of thought.

Default Re: Nexus 7 tragic design flaw

Yeah from the Videos I've seen it appears to muffle the audio. I've heard they lack allot of bass is that true or is it just a rumor. I don't really use speakers for any thing but gaming and watching movies but that would be a deal breaker for me too.

Sent from a place on earth

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

That is disappointing, even the PlayBook has front facing speakers.
    Sanyo VI-2300->LG Rumor->BlackBerry 8830->LG Lotus Elite->BlackBerry Bold 9930->Samsung Galaxy S4 Active

Yet we have the "speakers are epic" thread. Epic or tragic- waiting to hear for myself (hurry Amazon!): the speakers on this device are epic.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Brinkman View Post
    Yeah from the Videos I've seen it appears to muffle the audio. I've heard they lack allot of bass is that true or is it just a rumor. I don't really use speakers for any thing but gaming and watching movies but that would be a deal breaker for me too.
    The speakers are good, just facing the wrong way: to the people around me instead of to me, or right into my muffling pants.

I think the speakers are fine, not as good as the HTC One, but better than the original nexus 7. They're loud enough for me, and my hearing's not that great. I guess Google didn't think front firing speakers were worth the change in looks.

Posted from my 2013 nexus 7
    Regard all phenomena as dreams...

That is surprising when you consider they are on the front of the Nexus 10 and there appears to be plenty of room.....
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by quietlybrilliant View Post
    The speakers are good, just facing the wrong way: to the people around me instead of to me, or right into my muffling pants.
    I agree...the speakers are just fine to me...plenty loud enough, I was watching Transformers last night, and the stereo separation was awesome, using the new N7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

It's a pretty bad design. The thing sounds great if you turn it around and stare at the back.

So in all seriousness...If I have an ipad 3 is it worth ditching it for the 7? Nothings really tying me to Apple anymore since I got my Galaxy. I like the smaller form factor.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rooneyt View Post
    So in all seriousness...If I have an ipad 3 is it worth ditching it for the 7? Nothings really tying me to Apple anymore since I got my Galaxy. I like the smaller form factor.

I would say yes. Better screen, you said you like the smaller form factor, android has really done a lot of catching up to ios in terms of app quality and you have an android phone already.

Posted via Android Central App
    Banned

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hallda01 View Post
    That is disappointing, even the PlayBook has front facing speakers.
    Funny you should mention that, My go to tablet (don't laugh!) has been a Playbook for over a year. The front facing speakers have always been generally thought to be really really good, as well as loud for a tablet. For all the criticisms leveled against the PB, that was never one of them. But here's the thing...
    Unless I'm in a very quiet room with minimal ambient noise, and nobody talking, I still need to use headphones on the PB. Most people seem to feel speakers on the new N7 are fine. From what I've read others saying so far, it appears that the new N7 speakers won't need headphones any more than my PB does in the same conditions. No offense but the ones who think this is a significant issue are really nit-picking IMO.

Anyone who expects bass from tablet (or laptop) speakers has unrealistic expectations. I do wish the speakers faced forward, though.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
    ottscay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    Anyone who expects bass from tablet (or laptop) speakers has unrealistic expectations. I do wish the speakers faced forward, though.
    Actually my laptop has pretty good bass.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy tab with Android 4.2.2
    Be sure and hit the thanks button if anything I said was helpful to you!

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts

I hope by "ditch" you mean sell and make more than the new Nexus 7 will cost me. The 7 is great and all but should cost well less than what the sale of an iPad 3 will bring in.

The new 7 is beautiful, although I would gladly have paid another $25-$50 to have some metal on it, but comparing these devices is strictly up to you. You want the smaller form, go for the 7. You want size and trusted reliability (let's get real- the orig 7 forum is littered with failed units and issues after a year), go with the iPad.

Yes I would sell but the net gain isn't that great. Best I can see me getting is about $250 on Amazon for my iPad 3 16gb WiFi. I'd probably have like 30 bucks left over when all was said and done.

I just took a look at one at Best Buy, and compared it to a Mini. The 2013 Nexus 7 was palpably faster than the iPad Mini they had in the store on loading pages and switching apps, which is not something I could say for the 2012 Nexus 7 or any of the other 7" Android tablets out there right now (I've repeatedly done side by sides with the Nook HD, Asus Memo, Galaxy Tab 2, etc - owned a Nook HD briefly).

I can imagine Apple doing a modest upgrade to an A6 and a 1280x960 screen (maintaining the 4:3 aspect) and being competitive again, the A6 is much faster than the A5 in the Mini.

But right now, on the hardware front, the Mini isn't competitive unless you just need that extra inch of screen for some reason. So for the first time I'll say - if you're buying an iPad Mini, you're buying the ecosystem and the name, not the hardware.

I was sold on the Nexus 7. I'm going to wait for the 4G version, supposedly ~$350 with 32GB and will work on most carriers including AT&T and Verizon (I'm coming from an iPad 2 64GB/3G Verizon only).

I've spent a lot of time with an iPad 3, Mini, and have owned both the 2012 and now the 2013 N7s - the new N7 is clearly faster than all of them (though not the iPad 4). The iPads feel more solidly built, but the new N7 doesn't feel at all cheap to me, just not as "premium" as Apple's devices. The screen is as good as any I've seen (and oodles better than the Mini). So if you want a smaller tablet and are not tied to the ecosystem I feel like the new N7 is the best device out there, as long as there isn't some killer app or game that you love that is iOS exclusive.

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts

Yes I would sell but the net gain isn't that great. Best I can see me getting is about $250 on Amazon for my iPad 3 16gb WiFi. I'd probably have like 30 bucks left over when all was said and done.

Its either in bad shape or you're bad at selling things.

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts
    ROM
    Motorola Xoom Running ICS

I enjoy the bezel at the top and bottom. When holding in landscape its perfect and the speakers are great.

Posted via Android Central App

Ok my thoughts on the speakers. Three times as good as just one speaker.. On the back is a little disappointing but the actual quality of the sound makes up for the less volume. If your home you should never need to cup. If your cruising with the windows down or in a busy room i saw myself cup the back speakers with my hand towards me. But i was playing a song in the car today in passenger seat holding the tablet like above my head with the SCREEN facing the driver and she said that's crazy, the souround sound makes it sound like it's coming from the cars speakers. So yeah the quality of sound is nice. U ever see those little bombs in wall mart that plug 3.5 into ur phone that have different smiley faces? Lol. Imagine that little black smiley face bomb speaker but in surround sound. Maybe on its one click before full volume cause those things are loud. Lol.

Status update. Picked up the 32 gig model today. Love it!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Since you're asking I would say hold onto your ipad because the next gen ios might get your interest. Skip the hype on the Nexus7 and pick up a wifi Galaxy Note 8 which is way more value for dollar than the N7.

I'll catch hell for this but in my opinion the note series will have more staying power than the N7 over time. It's really a multi functional device that will find more and more practical implementations from all kinds of professional venues going forward.

Ios7 looks kinda kindergarten.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Ios7 looks kinda kindergarten.

It will be important to determine what the capabilities of 7 are or aren't. Pre release os's are always hobbled so I don't put too much stock in what it looks like today. In order to compete (read:beat down) with Jail-breaking, BlackBerry and Android I have a feeling that Apple will be bending a few of their own long standing rules and adding a few useful features in 7 :-)

Anyway we digress...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast