Damn.. 1 Day and My 16 Gb Nexus-7 is Gone..

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Well.. That did not take long..
I returned my 16 Gb to Walmart and picked up a 32 Gb.. They just got them in and for only $40.00 more you double your storage.. Just made sense to upgrade to 32 Gb. :cool:

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I didnt buy it, but my Bestbuy in Scottsdale, AZ had 15 of the 32gb ones in stock, none of the 16.

You know.. IMO, they should have just done 32 Gb & 64 Gb I thought about it all last night.. and kept saying to myself Damn! you should have waited and got the 32 Gb it just made more sense for only $40.00 more. I think your BestBuy is doing the right thing only have 32 Gb's in stock.. I have to admit, when I go into Settings and check the storage, 26.1 Gb Available gives me a little more piece of mind than seeing the 10.7 Gb of the 16 Gb unit.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Considering the price difference I don't see the 16gig selling much. Every store I went to had the 16 and were sold out of the 32. My local best buy sold 50 of them and they were never even on display.

HTC One - MoDaCo.switch /ARHD 12.1 & GE 2.0 + Bulletproof
Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod

dmcincubus

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
You know.. IMO, they should have just done 32 Gb & 64 Gb I thought about it all last night.. and kept saying to myself Damn! you should have waited and got the 32 Gb it just made more sense for only $40.00 more. I think your BestBuy is doing the right thing only have 32 Gb's in stock.. I have to admit, when I go into Settings and check the storage, 26.1 Gb Available gives me a little more piece of mind than seeing the 10.7 Gb of the 16 Gb unit.

You know, you're right. I went ahead and picked up the 32 gig at best buy Friday, a little pissed that all they had were about 20 32 gigs and no 16's. But when I got home and saw that 26 gigs were available, it just made me feel better about the purchase.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Well.. That did not take long..
I returned my 16 Gb to Walmart and picked up a 32 Gb.. They just got them in and for only $40.00 more you double your storage.. Just made sense to upgrade to 32 Gb. :cool:

My one year old 16GM Nexus 7 still have about 10 GB free and I use it everyday for hours. I have 60 plus Apps, few music albums and a few pictures and three books. I have movies but they are only streamed from Google Playstore. A lot of people will never need more that 16GB.

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
My one year old 16GM Nexus 7 still have about 10 GB free and I use it everyday for hours. I have 60 plus Apps, few music albums and a few pictures and three books. I have movies but they are only streamed from Google Playstore. A lot of people will never need more that 16GB.
I agree.. The 32 Gb option is not for everyone. I just am trying to look ahead for me.. With HD Screen Resolution now quickly becoming the standard, and High End games (which I still love to play) coming in at close to 2 Gb's each not to mention Music, Photosphere Pics, High Quality movies and everything else I might want to store, for only $40.00 bucks more for another 16 Gb's of storage how could you go wrong? That's a cheaper upgrade option than it was for you back in 2012 when the 16 / 32 Gb units were priced at $199.00 / $249.00.. I would rather have a little extra internal storage in the long run than not quite enough and have to delete things down the road.. For you it's ok.. But others reading this and considering purchasing the 16 Gb model know that:

Once you go below the "3 Gb bug barrier" your Nexus-7 may start to slow down SIGNIFICANTLY.. that was the case with the 2012 units I assume they need that much cushion for swap files.. but if you don't do a lot with your unit, hopefully that 16 Gb will hold you.. The only other alternative is to Root and use a custom recovery that supports OTG..

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I agree.. The 32 Gb option is not for everyone. I just am trying to look ahead for me.. With HD Screen Resolution now quickly becoming the standard, and High End games (which I still love to play) coming in at close to 2 Gb's each not to mention Music, Photosphere Pics, High Quality movies and everything else I might want to store, for only $40.00 bucks more for another 16 Gb's of storage how could you go wrong? That's a cheaper upgrade option than it was for you back in 2012 when the 16 / 32 Gb units were priced at $199.00 / $249.00.. I would rather have a little extra internal storage in the long run than not quite enough and have to delete things down the road.. For you it's ok.. But others reading this and considering purchasing the 16 Gb model know that:

Once you go below the "3 Gb bug barrier" your Nexus-7 may start to slow down SIGNIFICANTLY.. that was the case with the 2012 units I assume they need that much cushion for swap files.. but if you don't do a lot with your unit, hopefully that 16 Gb will hold you.. The only other alternative is to Root and use a custom recovery that supports OTG..

Agree, I recommended the new N7 to a friend for her first tablet. I told her for the cost get the 32GB model but think you will never use even 16GB. My 16GB one year old N7 sitll runs as fast and has zero issues other than Wi-Fi connection issues. Her new Gen 2 N7 with dual channel Wi-Fi connected yesterday in the bar and my old N7 keep connecting then dropping out. I am jealous but I want to see if the new N7 supports Miracast first. My Chromecast has shipped and if that works well enough I will give up my Miracast N7 dream. BTW, the new N7 screen is nice compared to my old N7.

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Agree, I recommended the new N7 to a friend for her first tablet. I told her for the cost get the 32GB model but think you will never use even 16GB Her new Gen 2 N7 with dual channel Wi-Fi connected yesterday in the bar and my old N7 keep connecting then dropping out. I am jealous but I want to see if the new N7 supports Miracast first. My Chromecast has shipped and if that works well enough I will give up my Miracast N7 dream.
Please correct me if I am wrong.. but,
I know the N-7 2013 supports HDMI Out with the right cable ( Being Tethered to something sucks I know )... Now, I know it's not Miracast ( Wireless ) but, would that not serve your purpose until a true Miracast system is created?
I'm just trying to get you to buy a 2013 N-7.. :)
This is my first Nexus so.. I am not that versed on the in's and out's of Miracast

spackmanstephen

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I've got the Nexus 7 8GB and still got 4.83GB free. I'm streaming my music via Google Play, Pandora and Tunein Radio. Got the iPod Touch 5 32GB so 16GB N7 should be plenty....

Posted via Android Central App on Nexus 7.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I heavily debated over the 16 GB vs the 32 GB and decided to go with the former. I don't watch many movies or TV shows and most of my music is streamed over Google Play. Sure it's "only" $40, but that's $40 I can spend elsewhere.

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
RichardRight Says: Oh to be one for whom a $40 price difference is no big deal...
Chadthebuilder Says: Same here. I just could not justify the $40 price increase for it. I ordered the 16, and it should be plenty for me.
CarbonOak Says: I heavily debated over the 16 GB vs the 32 GB and decided to go with the former. I don't watch many movies or TV shows and most of my music is streamed over Google Play. Sure it's "only" $40, but that's $40 I can spend elsewhere

We all have our needs... some.. Much Greater than others.. :)
Stores & Outlets seem to be selling out of the 32 Gb units and have stock on the 16 Gb's... I don't know what that says about the buying public at large and how they look at the $40.00 difference to Double you storage capabilities..
I also look at the Resale Value of what I purchase as well... And ask myself, would I want the Base Model or maybe the Mid-Range Model..
The LTE version of the Nexus-7 2013 has an asking price of $349.00.. That unit is beyond my limit... Can I use that $40.00 I paid Walmart for something else? of course.. but I felt the upgrade was well worth the cost for me.. I don't buy tablets everyday.. and if I am going to spend over $230.00 dollars on one and NOT be 100% satisfied. it makes no sense to not spend $40.00 more and BE 100% satisfied.. I've already Unlocked my Bootloader, installed a Custom Recovery and Rooted my Nexus-7 2013.. I've backed up the original image, the stock image with all my apps installed and the ROM image of my Rooted Deodexed Custom ROM.. that alone has eaten up almost 5 Gb's of space.. If I still had the Base Model Nexus-7 I would be down to a little over 5 Gb's left in just 48 hours of owning the unit.. I would be shaking in my boots if that were the case.. As it stands now, I still have well over 20 Gb's free and clear.. for me, it's a No Brainer.. I made the right move by Upgrading to the Mid-Range Model.