Just got my Nexus 7. Can't drag and drop files like my old Nexus 7?

egamerhdk

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Just got my new nexus 7. I'm not sure if it's defective, but I tried adb and just simply dragging files onto it through usb. My windows machine acknowledges it and even shows Nexus ADB in device manager but I can't do these two things that my old nexus can do. Should I exchange it? Also, bottom of the Nexus 7 can be pressed down and it makes a clicking noise, because it seems like the screen isn't all the way flush. Very tiny problem... but it's brand new. My bigger cause of concern is the usb not working. Can anyone confirm?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Just got my new nexus 7. I'm not sure if it's defective, but I tried adb and just simply dragging files onto it through usb. My windows machine acknowledges it and even shows Nexus ADB in device manager but I can't do these two things that my old nexus can do. Should I exchange it? Also, bottom of the Nexus 7 can be pressed down and it makes a clicking noise, because it seems like the screen isn't all the way flush. Very tiny problem... but it's brand new. My bigger cause of concern is the usb not working. Can anyone confirm?

Sounds like a driver issue or that it's not recognizing it as a mass storage device. Try checking this site out: Google USB Driver | Android Developers

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I managed to fix mine by deleting the driver from 'Devices and Printers' and then installing the new one from the SDK. Now I have working ADB and MTP. :D

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I had no issues whatsoever.. the first time I connected via USB Windows 7 detected a New Device found the drivers ( which were Nexus 4 drivers showing in Device Manager.. strange :) ) installed them and I had no problems dragging and dropping apk's , pics, movies etc.. I did have to switch to proprietary drivers when I unlocked the Bootloader and installed a custom recovery for Rooting the device though.

Mychaiel

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issues with it showing up as a storage device, I have all the right drivers installed on the puter and still nothing!... Although I just noticed that I'm not able to find "Developer Options" or "USB Debugging" anywhere on the Tablet!
Will doing a reset of the device correct that?.... Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
In about tablet, press the build number approximately 7 times. that unlocks developer options and USB debugging is in there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mychaiel

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanx for the tip, that worked and all the options are there now!... Although, I uninstalled all the drivers plus the Google USB Driver and started over installing the drivers but now even without the Google USB Driver not installed the device is showing up as a storage device!... Weird eh?!

Posted via Android Central App

johnnylighton

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Ok, seriously, you've got to admit this is one example of how Android is best for a limited share of the market. It would never happen with the iPhone. I much prefer Android, and am glad not to have to use iTunes, but I can't help but think how non-tech people could deal with this issue.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Ok, seriously, you've got to admit this is one example of how Android is best for a limited share of the market. It would never happen with the iPhone. I much prefer Android, and am glad not to have to use iTunes, but I can't help but think how non-tech people could deal with this issue.

But I never had any of those problems with any of my devices. First time I plugged in my Samsung tablet, the drivers automatically installed. (I don't use KIES with my S devices). Same thing with my other phones. Plug them in, the drivers install, and it is ready to use.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy tab with Android 4.2.2

johnnylighton

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Sure, but did you do anything else to correct or improve things, like battery tweaking, rooting your phone so you could make a real backup, installing a file browser and learning Android's file structure, etc.? I did all three of those things and it made my phone better.

Anyway, I'm not trying to derail this thread and hope I didn't. I just thought it was a good example of what I mentioned. I'm here because I like Android. :)

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Sure, but did you do anything else to correct or improve things, like battery tweaking, rooting your phone so you could make a real backup, installing a file browser and learning Android's file structure, etc.? I did all three of those things and it made my phone better.

Anyway, I'm not trying to derail this thread and hope I didn't. I just thought it was a good example of what I mentioned. I'm here because I like Android. :)

I didn't try to derail it either. Hopefully the OP can get everything working OK.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy tab with Android 4.2.2

expatCanuck

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
When I first plugged in my (2012, OS 4.3) Nexus 7 into my Windoze 7 box,
the Nexus 7 was recognized, but all I saw in Windoze Explorer was
a lonely Nexus 7 icon with nothing below.

So, I right-clicked on the Nexus 7 object and selected Search Everything
(see bottom picture).

This generated an Internal Storage object with a dozen or so folders beneath (shown immediately below):
searchNexus2.jpg

Attachments

• searchNexus.jpg
    searchNexus.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 175