Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Choorp
  • 1 Post By Jerry Hildenbrand
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Worst banding I've ever seen

Change your wallpaper to the default image that was used for the first generation Nexus 7. Don't tell me you can't see that terrible banding.

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

Default Re: Worst banding I've ever seen

Yes, that was the wallpaper that was initially displayed when I got my Nexus 7. Alarmed, I checked out a display tester app to see if the display was truly this awful. Luckily, the app showed that there were no banding issues whatsoever. While I was in there, I went through the rest of the tests too. This screen is amazing.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

Perhaps it's just that particular image. Yeah I see it. But then if I go to this site on my n7,

That test image doesn't look bad.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by bitfidelity View Post
    Change your wallpaper to the default image that was used for the first generation Nexus 7. Don't tell me you can't see that terrible banding.
    Just tried this and I see it too. If I had to guess I'd say that either the image file was inadvertantly left on the wrong resolution (e.g. that of the first gen N7) or that someone took it and just scaled it up to the new rez rather than recreating it natively at the right resolution. Regardless, holding both next to one another it's clear the actual display is ridiculously better than the first gen N7, so it's a problem with the wallpaper not the screen.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks, I'll check that out.

I can definitely see banding in the settings panels in the grayish gradients, though.

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bitfidelity View Post
    Thanks, I'll check that out.

I can definitely see banding in the settings panels in the grayish gradients, though.
    Every device I've owned that ran Android 4.x has had banding issues with the Settings app background. You'd think Google would've fixed the image by now...
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Here's the thing... I also own a Sero 7 Pro, the Nexus 7 knock-off. It has no banding whatsoever, even in the settings panel.

I just checked for banding on Lagom, and I see it, though I had to zoom into the gradient bar a bit. Guess I got a bad screen, since many seem to be happy with theirs (no backlight bleed or banding), though I find it really hard to believe there are multiple panels out there

I have no idea on their screen supply chain, but there is always some variation in QC - Apple tends to solve this by doing additional checks after receiving stock and sending back ones that don't meet expectations...but that's why you pay 50-100% more for an equivalent item.

banding could also come from brightness settings. on any monitor, you're going to see banding issues with higher brightness. can also be as simple as gamma settings being off a bit, creating artificial banding.

keep in mind this is a high PPI screen in a small form factor. banding of any kind would be much more apparent under these conditions, than say a 22 inch monitor where banding will be spread out over a larger area. also banding is natural for compressed images like jpg's. formats like png are basically raw quality. oversizing an image can also display banding, but that doesn't mean a screen is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Perhaps it's just that particular image. Yeah I see it. But then if I go to this site on my n7,

That test image doesn't look bad.
    Thanks for that link. Going to find it a great tool for device reviews!
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    ottscay likes this.