Miricast and the n72

taarkan

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Looking for the same answer. If you anyone could tell me how to "supposedly" set it up on the Nexus then I can test it on my Sony tv with miracast.

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand, Miricast is not supported, but slimport is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Some posted on here that it has miricast. I don't think that's true. Hope I'm wrong.

That is how I read it that Miracast wireless display is certified on Nexus 7 (2013). The new 2013 Nexus 7 has dual band Wi-Fi and the 2012 only has single channel Wi-Fi.

Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013), and Nexus 10 are compatible with devices that support the Wi-Fi Certified Miracast? protocol for wireless display. You can mirror the screen and wirelessly stream video and audio to a variety of displays and other devices that support Miracast, even when a standard Wi-Fi network isn?t available. For example, you can use wireless display to show your device?s screen on a TV equipped with a certified Miracast adapter.

For more information, see the documentation that comes with the Miracast-certified device you wish to use with your tablet or phone.

https://support.google.com/nexus/7/answer/2865484?hl=en

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
So what device do i need. I have a sony hd tv with hdmi.

I'm not sure that Miracast even works yet but I know it doesn't work with my 2012 N7 so I would advise you to wait till other test it before you waste $60 like I did for a Miracast adapter. I don't care if the 2013 N7 said it is Miracast certified I want some site like Android Central to test it first. I have the PTV3000 and it is useless since my laptop doesn't support Wi-Di and my 2012 N7 doesn't support Miracast. As I found out the hard way Miracast and Wi-Di are bleeding edge technology. Jeallybean 4.2 supported Miracast but the N7 hardware didn't. Beware of people that put a Miracast solution on YouTube.

PTV3000

Last edited:

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure that Miracast even works yet but I know it doesn't work with my 2012 N7 so I would advise you to wait till other test it before you waste $60 like I did for a Miracast adapter. I don't care if the 2013 N7 said it is Miracast certified I want some site like Android Central to test it first. I have the PTV3000 and it is useless since my laptop doesn't support Wi-Di and my 2012 N7 doesn't support Miracast. As I found out the hard way Miracast and Wi-Di are bleeding edge technology. Jeallybean 4.2 supported Miracast but the N7 hardware didn't. Beware of people that put a Miracast solution on YouTube.

PTV3000

Mine worked. I only tested it for about 2 minutes but it worked. PTV3000.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
From slide 5 of 12 on new Android 4.3 update;

Wireless Streaming to a TV Through Miracast
Any television that supports the Miracast technology will be capable of receiving wireless television transmissions from Android 4.3. That means if a user is watching a television show or movie on a mobile device, she can instantly get it up and running on her HDTV and continue watching it there. Nice.

- See more at: Android 4.3 Jelly Bean's 10 Best New Features for Mobile Users

Android 4.3 Jelly Bean's 10 Best New Features for Mobile Users

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Just because the OS supports it doesn't mean the device hardware does.

Does the 4.3 upgrade on the Old N7 show a 'wireless display' option in the 'display' settings?
The Old N7 only had a 2.4GHz wifi antenna. The New N7 has 2.4 and 5GHz antennas.
A post on this thread said they tried it and it works.

I'm going to take a chance and get the PTV3000.

Does anyone know if there is a better Miracast receiver for non supported TVs?

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Mine worked. I only tested it for about 2 minutes but it worked. PTV3000.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I got a new BD player that supports Miracast (Panasonic DMP-BDT230) last night. I tried the Miracast feature and it works; however, poorly.

The first thing I tried was the game Granny Smith. The pictures motion was a bit choppy and the lag from touch screen control response seemed to be in the millisecond range.

The next thing I tried was a flash video (thank you Firefox, shame on you Chrome) from a website. The video lagged and chopped and pixelated, but ran.

The next thing I tried was to cast a video played on the N7 using Vplayer (MX player please come back to me!). This really sucked. I played a standard MP4 converted from a .vob (mpeg) rip from a DVD (Band of Brothers). It was snowy noise all over with lag and chop. This result was not watchable at all.

The last thing I tried was an HD video from the 'Play Movie' system app. I used the free Transformers movie. The video quality was MUCH better, but the motion flow was still jerky.

Overall I'm NOT impressed with Miracast!

I might keep the BD player for it's other features like it's DLNA support and playing .mkvs with DTS sound from a USB powered hard drive, but not for the Miracast support.

So did the PTV3000 do any better than my tests with this BD player?

Fenman

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
@tflash

These problems seem to indicate there may be something amiss in your wifi system e.g.weak signal in location of BDP or tablet.

However interested to see that your Panasonic DMP-BDT230 is Miracast compatible. I have a Panasonic SC-BTT 290 BDP/Home Cinema system Do you now if this is Miracast Compatible?

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Nah, I think Miracast just isn't a very good system overall, or maybe the Nexus 7 just isn't very good at it. I get the same results with an LG projector that's Miracast compatible.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
@tflash

These problems seem to indicate there may be something amiss in your wifi system e.g.weak signal in location of BDP or tablet.

However interested to see that your Panasonic DMP-BDT230 is Miracast compatible. I have a Panasonic SC-BTT 290 BDP/Home Cinema system Do you now if this is Miracast Compatible?

The Pana. 230 does have 5GHz support, and that worked better, but not much. I did find out that my 2.4GHz WiFi on the router wasn't transmitting at true N speeds (>54Mbps) because my security encryption setting were not WPA2 only. That helped 2.4GHz streaming to be as good as 5GHz, but I found that out after I returned it to try the Rocketfish Miracast adapter.

The Miracast support logos and such were plastered all over the box graphics. I think only the most recent models (BDT220/230) have Miracast support.

FYI the Rocketfish adapter worked much better than the BD player, so not all Miracast supported devices work with the same quality.

It just wouldn't work without a slight delay which made games like Granny Smith unplayable and that's really all I would want to mirror the display for, so I returned it also.

I got a Sony BD player that adds the 'smart' ability to my sony xbr9 TV (xbr9 is 'smart', but with very poorly implemented DLNA support, and no WiFi) without Miracast support.
The Sony BD player shows up as a 'renderer' with apps like Bubble UPnP or Skifka that will stream content from the N7 to the TV so my need for Miracast is zero.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888