And Now Amazon Responds to New Nexus 7

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Now that Google has set the bar with the new Nexus 7, Amazon is returning the volley. Leaks are showing that at least three Kindle Fires are coming around September, including a new 7 inch HD and 8.9 inch HD. They should retain the $199 and$269 for the 16g models, with also a 32 and 64 in both sizes. The 7 inch will have identical resolution as the new Nexus, with the 8.9 getting an incredible Retina competing 2650 by 1500. Both models will have a Snapdragon 800 processor 2 ghz, and 2 gig ram. Both have a front cam, but the 8.9 adds an 8 megapixel rear cam. Both have true hdmi out (as do the current models).

Keep in mind that's $40 dollars more than the new Nexus for the 8.9 inch with an 8 megapixel cam, hdmi out, and 2650 by 1500 screen resolution.

Here's a link.... just to make it harder on all of us to pick the right tablet.
http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2013/07/30/amazon-kindle-fire-hd-2-specs-may-blow-competition-away/

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There is no choice though. It has no access to the Play Store unless you wipe the software it comes with and flash AOSP, and then you're reliant on the dev community for updates to new versions, etc. In order for this to be a better value, it'd likely need to be priced at less than $199 for the 7" (otherwise, why wouldn't you buy the more feature rich Nexus for a few dollars more?) and the 8.9" is getting close to the value proposition of the Nexus 10, which is at least twice more valuable per dollar. I'm glad they're stepping up, but for them to be competitive they really need to drop the idea of a complete fork and provide a universal Android experience that adds Amazon functionality to it, rather than an Amazon experience that happens to use Android code. That or go so far over the top in specs, so far under the book price and provide a substantially better ecosystem than the Play Store.

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
$40 more, but better camera, bigger screen size and amazing screen. Not to mention SNAPDRAGON 800!! But.. It's a kindle so.. **** that.

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
$40 more, but better camera, bigger screen size and amazing screen. Not to mention SNAPDRAGON 800!! But.. It's a kindle so.. **** that.

Damn John,
I was getting pumped up to do a return to Walmart and just wait 30 days.... Until I read everything you said after... "BUT" :)
I still have almost 2 weeks though to do a Return for a Full Refund so I may have to check this out..... The Snapdragon 800............... Oh My..

JohnWexler

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I bought a kindle, because I wanted an e-reader that could function as a tablet & the kindle that pretty well at first, but now it's so buggy & laggy that I'm ready to try either pure Android or iOS.

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Not having access to the Play Store is the big negative, but everyone I've talked to says they've never had a problem getting apps they want, if they install 1mobile and SlideMe on it.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Not having access to the Play Store is the big negative, but everyone I've talked to says they've never had a problem getting apps they want, if they install 1mobile and SlideMe on it.

too much hassle and its always pain in the **** to install custom rom. it will always be in beta with tons of problems and by the time they get close to being stable google will release new android version and its always behind. camera wont work etc etc.

BEST is to get a NEXUS 7

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday I bought both a Kindle Fire HD and a Nexus7. Wife said she wanted a Kindle, I wanted her to get the Nexus. After discussing both she still wanted the Kindle so she opened it up and I decided to keep the Nexus for myself. We're both thrilled with our decisions...to each their own!

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Well I am happy since Amazon will just sell more Android tablets and keep more pressure on Apple. That means more Android tablets and we get more tablet Apps with a larger Android Market share. Really with the new N7 having 323ppi screen resolution it seems pointless to have more pixel density when the new N7 beats Apple at its own Retina-display-thumping game on their iPad 4 that only has 264ppi.

One thing I like about Nexus is that I get the latest OS and Amazon doesn't care about being with the current Android OS since it just cost them money. Google is into selling Android OS and Amazon is into selling books and movies content.

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
too much hassle and its always pain in the **** to install custom rom. it will always be in beta with tons of problems and by the time they get close to being stable google will release new android version and its always behind. camera wont work etc etc.
Now that's funny.
This ROM Looks, Acts & Feels like the Stock ROM you are running right now..
But it's soooo much Faster... and soooo much Smoother and you can do soooo much more with it....
And EVERYTHING Works.
If you only knew...

1_zps743e6070.png

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Now that's funny.
This ROM Looks, Acts & Feels like the Stock ROM you are running right now..
But it's soooo much Faster... and soooo much Smoother and you can do soooo much more with it....
And EVERYTHING Works.
If you only knew...

OK, to be clear i am not talking about installing custom rom on Nexus devices. Installing custom rom on nexus devices is the easiest of any devices and they works with less to 0 issues. That's because Google' opens all drivers for ROM developers to easily build ROM.

I am talking about custom ROM for devices like Kindle fire. Its a pain in the **** to have a stable version of Android on kindles.

heck, even the popular device like Samsung Galaxy S3 didnt have the camera working properly for a while.

I am saying buy Nexus 7 or 10 instead of some crappy devices like fire and asking people to root and install custom ROM(which is pain in the ****).

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
There are only two advantages to buying a Kindle Fire: Amazon Instant Video (a biggie) and the Kindle Lending Library (meh in my experience). The tradeoffs of not being able to get apps from the Play store without hackery and no widgets moot the other factors of cost, etc.

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
yeah this is no reason to wait and not buy the nexus 7. I've been waiting since before the nexus 7 to buy a tablet, and there's always something new. I however doubt it will compete price wise with the nexus 7. google is barely making anything off the nexus 7. they sell them to increase google advertising profits by making everything revolve around google. that's googles main source of income. in order to increase the amount of people and frequency they visit google, the nexus 7 is sold practically at cost, with room for a little profit for themselves and retailers.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Those specs are not happening at those prices, period.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

It's very possible they will happen at those prices because Amazon will make its money back from the amazon purchases. They don't give access to the play store, so they are getting the kickback from all apps/music/video sold.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It's very possible they will happen at those prices because Amazon will make its money back from the amazon purchases. They don't give access to the play store, so they are getting the kickback from all apps/music/video sold.

They won't. A tablet with those specs will cost significantly more than their iPad counterparts. Amazon would never break even.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
If true, nice specs. Problem will again be the awful interface that is always so slow and laggy. It doesnt even feel like android at all. I hated use any kindles personally cause of how bad the UI has always lagged regardless of specs. If they revamped it to be more of a lightweight skin on top of stock android, I would atleast give it a 2nd look. Until then, no Play Store and laggy/ugly UI will always make me pass on anything they offer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza