Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default And Now Amazon Responds to New Nexus 7

Now that Google has set the bar with the new Nexus 7, Amazon is returning the volley. Leaks are showing that at least three Kindle Fires are coming around September, including a new 7 inch HD and 8.9 inch HD. They should retain the $199 and$269 for the 16g models, with also a 32 and 64 in both sizes. The 7 inch will have identical resolution as the new Nexus, with the 8.9 getting an incredible Retina competing 2650 by 1500. Both models will have a Snapdragon 800 processor 2 ghz, and 2 gig ram. Both have a front cam, but the 8.9 adds an 8 megapixel rear cam. Both have true hdmi out (as do the current models).

Keep in mind that's $40 dollars more than the new Nexus for the 8.9 inch with an 8 megapixel cam, hdmi out, and 2650 by 1500 screen resolution.

Here's a link.... just to make it harder on all of us to pick the right tablet.

Default Re: And Now Amazon Responds to New Nexus 7

Sounds amazing!!

Sent from my M7 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    5,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

There is no choice though. It has no access to the Play Store unless you wipe the software it comes with and flash AOSP, and then you're reliant on the dev community for updates to new versions, etc. In order for this to be a better value, it'd likely need to be priced at less than $199 for the 7" (otherwise, why wouldn't you buy the more feature rich Nexus for a few dollars more?) and the 8.9" is getting close to the value proposition of the Nexus 10, which is at least twice more valuable per dollar. I'm glad they're stepping up, but for them to be competitive they really need to drop the idea of a complete fork and provide a universal Android experience that adds Amazon functionality to it, rather than an Amazon experience that happens to use Android code. That or go so far over the top in specs, so far under the book price and provide a substantially better ecosystem than the Play Store.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

ROM
    CM 9.1

$40 more, but better camera, bigger screen size and amazing screen. Not to mention SNAPDRAGON 800!! But.. It's a kindle so.. **** that.

Quote Originally Posted by John-Smith View Post
    $40 more, but better camera, bigger screen size and amazing screen. Not to mention SNAPDRAGON 800!! But.. It's a kindle so.. **** that.
    Damn John,
    I was getting pumped up to do a return to Walmart and just wait 30 days.... Until I read everything you said after... "BUT" :-)
    I still have almost 2 weeks though to do a Return for a Full Refund so I may have to check this out..... The Snapdragon 800............... Oh My..

its really pointless to buy a kindle. limited apps and no widgets. never in my lifetime i would recommend a kindle or buy one
    Thanked by:

I bought a kindle, because I wanted an e-reader that could function as a tablet & the kindle that pretty well at first, but now it's so buggy & laggy that I'm ready to try either pure Android or iOS.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Not having access to the Play Store is the big negative, but everyone I've talked to says they've never had a problem getting apps they want, if they install 1mobile and SlideMe on it.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardRight View Post
    Not having access to the Play Store is the big negative, but everyone I've talked to says they've never had a problem getting apps they want, if they install 1mobile and SlideMe on it.
    too much hassle and its always pain in the **** to install custom rom. it will always be in beta with tons of problems and by the time they get close to being stable google will release new android version and its always behind. camera wont work etc etc.

BEST is to get a NEXUS 7
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,699 Global Posts

Yesterday I bought both a Kindle Fire HD and a Nexus7. Wife said she wanted a Kindle, I wanted her to get the Nexus. After discussing both she still wanted the Kindle so she opened it up and I decided to keep the Nexus for myself. We're both thrilled with our decisions...to each their own!

Well I am happy since Amazon will just sell more Android tablets and keep more pressure on Apple. That means more Android tablets and we get more tablet Apps with a larger Android Market share. Really with the new N7 having 323ppi screen resolution it seems pointless to have more pixel density when the new N7 beats Apple at its own Retina-display-thumping game on their iPad 4 that only has 264ppi.

One thing I like about Nexus is that I get the latest OS and Amazon doesn't care about being with the current Android OS since it just cost them money. Google is into selling Android OS and Amazon is into selling books and movies content.

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    too much hassle and its always pain in the **** to install custom rom. it will always be in beta with tons of problems and by the time they get close to being stable google will release new android version and its always behind. camera wont work etc etc.
    Now that's funny.
    This ROM Looks, Acts & Feels like the Stock ROM you are running right now..
    But it's soooo much Faster... and soooo much Smoother and you can do soooo much more with it....
    And EVERYTHING Works.
    If you only knew...

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderWill View Post
    Now that's funny.
    This ROM Looks, Acts & Feels like the Stock ROM you are running right now..
    But it's soooo much Faster... and soooo much Smoother and you can do soooo much more with it....
    And EVERYTHING Works.
    If you only knew...
    OK, to be clear i am not talking about installing custom rom on Nexus devices. Installing custom rom on nexus devices is the easiest of any devices and they works with less to 0 issues. That's because Google' opens all drivers for ROM developers to easily build ROM.

I am talking about custom ROM for devices like Kindle fire. Its a pain in the **** to have a stable version of Android on kindles.

heck, even the popular device like Samsung Galaxy S3 didnt have the camera working properly for a while.

I am saying buy Nexus 7 or 10 instead of some crappy devices like fire and asking people to root and install custom ROM(which is pain in the ****).

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

There are only two advantages to buying a Kindle Fire: Amazon Instant Video (a biggie) and the Kindle Lending Library (meh in my experience). The tradeoffs of not being able to get apps from the Play store without hackery and no widgets moot the other factors of cost, etc.
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi
    Citizen Coyote likes this.

Competition is great.

Those specs are not happening at those prices, period.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

yeah this is no reason to wait and not buy the nexus 7. I've been waiting since before the nexus 7 to buy a tablet, and there's always something new. I however doubt it will compete price wise with the nexus 7. google is barely making anything off the nexus 7. they sell them to increase google advertising profits by making everything revolve around google. that's googles main source of income. in order to increase the amount of people and frequency they visit google, the nexus 7 is sold practically at cost, with room for a little profit for themselves and retailers.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Those specs are not happening at those prices, period.

It's very possible they will happen at those prices because Amazon will make its money back from the amazon purchases. They don't give access to the play store, so they are getting the kickback from all apps/music/video sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Diknak View Post
    It's very possible they will happen at those prices because Amazon will make its money back from the amazon purchases. They don't give access to the play store, so they are getting the kickback from all apps/music/video sold.
    They won't. A tablet with those specs will cost significantly more than their iPad counterparts. Amazon would never break even.

If true, nice specs. Problem will again be the awful interface that is always so slow and laggy. It doesnt even feel like android at all. I hated use any kindles personally cause of how bad the UI has always lagged regardless of specs. If they revamped it to be more of a lightweight skin on top of stock android, I would atleast give it a 2nd look. Until then, no Play Store and laggy/ugly UI will always make me pass on anything they offer.

Quote Originally Posted by stkorn97 View Post
    If true, nice specs. Problem will again be the awful interface that is always so slow and laggy. It doesnt even feel like android at all. I hated use any kindles personally cause of how bad the UI has always lagged regardless of specs. If they revamped it to be more of a lightweight skin on top of stock android, I would atleast give it a 2nd look. Until then, no Play Store and laggy/ugly UI will always make me pass on anything they offer.
    I have an 8.9" Kindle tablet and the interface is generally quite snappy on mine. But, it's quite true that it's so heavily customized that you wouldn't even know it's Android if it didn't have apps in common. Their free app every day (usually a game) is also a nice benefit in addition to Prime Instant and Lending Library.

Overall I'd still recommend a nexus over a Fire for anyone other than current Amazon Prime subscribers. (Which I am, but I'm still enough of a gadget ho to get the nexus as well ) I'll definitely be checking out the next generation, and could very well make the next larger Kindle my video-watching tablet. (The speakers on the current one are pretty good, so I assume/hope the next gen will be as good or better)
    Regard all phenomena as dreams...

Quote Originally Posted by karmamule View Post
    Their free app every day (usually a game) is also a nice benefit in addition to Prime Instant and Lending Library.
    That's not really an advantage when you can very easily install the Amazon app store on your Nexus 7 and get the free app of the day. Frankly I usually find them to be not worth the download, but there have been a few gems.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    5,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by karmamule View Post
    Overall I'd still recommend a nexus over a Fire for anyone other than current Amazon Prime subscribers
    I have amazon prime and I still recommend the Fire to no one. It's available on my blue ray, on my ps3 and on the web. It'd be nice if the tablet had it also, but really don't care that much because most of the time when I'm somewhere I want to watch a movie, there is a TV or 23" monitor that can stream their content.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

It blows my mind that this product continues to be relevant. While some people get tricked into picking it out by clever marketing or what have you...the market would not miss this product whatsoever if it just disappeared. You want the "easy to use" interface that lacks features in order to make things simpler? iPad. You want more features, cheaper price? Android. Simple. You want an ereader only? You get an e-ink $50 Kindle

Quote Originally Posted by jlongrc View Post
    It blows my mind that this product continues to be relevant. While some people get tricked into picking it out by clever marketing or what have you...the market would not miss this product whatsoever if it just disappeared.
    There are actually a lot of people who are very much in love with Amazon. They buy lots and lots of things there, and when it comes to tablets, they don't really look at anything other than Kindles.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast