Nexus 7 demo at BestBuy

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Went to my local BestBuy to test out the new Nexus 7 to see how much faster it was than my 2012 Nexus 7. I wasn't able to test it out because it was in some type of demo mode. I wasn't able to use the camera, web browser, scroll through the app drawer, etc.
Thought something was wrong with it, so I rebooted it. Still did the same though after the reboot.
Anyone come across this situation with a demo unit at BestBuy?
If so, is there a way to disable it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I work in retail, so I'm familiar with this sort of thing. One of two things are going on. Either the demo is a specificity made version of the device that will only ever do demo mode (extremely rare) or it's designed to boot into demo (kiosk) mode. The only way around this is to reset the device.
You could ask a sales person if they can boot it into regular usable mode, but chances are they cannot.

Sent from my HTC One with MoDaCo.SWITCH Beta 8 using Mobile Nations mobile app

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Since I was unable to demo it, does the 2013 model has Haptic Feedback when typing?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Steve Kesler

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I have seen 2 in-store demo units that seem to be locked in a demo mode. Both units kept rebooting and would not let you access any specific apps.. You could not access 'settings' or even the Chrome web browser. I suspected that the units had been powered up but never updated - or they were in some extremely limited demo mode, which was virtually non-functional.

The interesting point is, one of the units was in the Colonial Heights, VA Best Buy and the 2nd unit was in a Staples at Clifton Park, NY. So two complete different stores and locations. If it was a demo mode - it definitely keep people from buying them. They were useless.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I ended up going to a different store, and luckily they didn't have their device locked down. It's so much faster than the 2012 version I have. I probably would have purchased one, but they're all sold out of the 32GB model.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I bought my 32GB model in Best Buy on Sunday because it was a Sales Tax Holiday. I did not want a demo - just pick it up, and when I asked the sales person he tried to steer me to a Samsung tablet - interesting...

fishepa

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I tried the demo unit at best buy and it was awful. It goes into like this automated video of what you pressed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Our store just said screw it. As soon as we got them in stock I put one out on the table with just a stock (no demo) bull****. We've sold a metric crapton. I'll probably be getting one on Friday. I can't get over how snappy it is.

timjj

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm new here. Just happened to find this thread since I'm so peeved that I can't try a Nexus 7 that's not in demo mode. We're an Apple family but thinking of trying an Android tablet, but it's like Google is trying to hide some deficiency by forcing demos onto me. May just wait for the next version of the Galaxy Note 8..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm new here. Just happened to find this thread since I'm so peeved that I can't try a Nexus 7 that's not in demo mode. We're an Apple family but thinking of trying an Android tablet, but it's like Google is trying to hide some deficiency by forcing demos onto me. May just wait for the next version of the Galaxy Note 8..

Welcome to Android Central! I agree, it can be so frustrating to find a place that allows you to play with a device in its intended state. Have you tried asking any salespeople in the stores you go to if you can try one out that isn't in demo mode? Just tell them that you want to buy one from them, but you need to test it out first.

I've found that Staples usually has the Nexus 7 in normal working order, and they usually have free wifi available. Another option is just to buy it from Best Buy, and return it within 14 days if you're unsatisfied (I think they still give a full refund within 14 days).

The 2013 Nexus 7 is an outstanding device. It's astonishingly fast compared to the 2012 Nexus 7. Good luck with your shopping!

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I went to bestbuy and saw someone put the GEL on a demo unit and the other one was running jellybean

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
....thinking of trying an Android tablet, but it's like Google is trying to hide some deficiency by forcing demos onto me.

I think this probably has more to do with Best Buy than Google. Trust me, there is no deficiency. It's an awesome tablet. If you want to try Android, this really is the best place to start.

Nidwow

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I have 2 Bestbuy stores near by, they were about 9 miles from each other. One store have N7.2 locked down in demo mode and the other store has it wide open. Got to play with it before I made the purchased.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Our store just said screw it. As soon as we got them in stock I put one out on the table with just a stock (no demo) bull****. We've sold a metric crapton. I'll probably be getting one on Friday. I can't get over how snappy it is.

Nice job! Thanks.
When I tried it at a Bestbuy, someone had put a lockscreen password on it :p

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When I tried it at a Bestbuy, someone had put a lockscreen password on it :p

That practice just ticks me off. I see that at Fry's Electronics all the time, both with tablets (always the Android ones) and with PCs. What's the point of having a display model if you can't try it?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That practice just ticks me off. I see that at Fry's Electronics all the time, both with tablets (always the Android ones) and with PCs. What's the point of having a display model if you can't try it?

Cause they are dumb and don't realize there are ways to protects setting and uninstalling of apps with other methods.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad