Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    Hi All,

    Not sure what I did wrong, but I had my Nexus 7 charging today morning and now all I see is the 'X' boot logo. It is not going past that.

    I did boot into the bootloader and chose 'Recovery Mode' to do a factory reset. I did go into recovery mode and get the droid with the red error icon with a text 'No Command' - After that I tried all possible commands - vol up + power, vol down + power , press vol up twice, press vol down twice - nothing happens - How do I boot into recovery?

    [This is not rooted. Just stock recovery]

    Any help would be much appreciated!

    Thanks,
    Chaks
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    When you're at the screen with the Android lying down No Command screen, then press the power button and the volume UP button at the same time, then release at the same time. The recovery menu should appear when you release the buttons. Sometimes it can be a little finicky. Try to make sure you're pressing the buttons exactly at the same time. I think it can work as well if you press the volume UP button first, and then the power button immediately after, holding both down at the same time, then releasing.

    Edit--this is the process for the 2012 Nexus 7. I would assume it's the same for the 2013 version, but can't be sure. I haven't found anything on the web yet to confirm.
    Thanked by 2:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    When you're at the screen with the Android lying down No Command screen, then press the power button and the volume UP button at the same time, then release at the same time. The recovery menu should appear when you release the buttons. Sometimes it can be a little finicky. Try to make sure you're pressing the buttons exactly at the same time. I think it can work as well if you press the volume UP button first, and then the power button immediately after, holding both down at the same time, then releasing.

    Edit--this is the process for the 2012 Nexus 7. I would assume it's the same for the 2013 version, but can't be sure. I haven't found anything on the web yet to confirm.
    I just tried again, but no luck. I have done this in my Nexus 2012 and thought it should just work in the 2013 model, but i am not able to

    Can anyone using the 2013 model try to confirm?

    Thanks,
    Chaks
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    I have no idea what combination i pressed, but i got the menu appear suddenly! LOL! Just did a factory reset and it is booting into the OS now. Weird!
    B. Diddy and eakins05 like this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    On the stock 7.2 recovery you only need to press the Vol+ to get the recovery menu from the fallen android screen.

    For some reason Vol- allows you to scroll down, but Vol+ just toggles the menu instead of going back up.

    First time I was playing around with the stock recovery on this tablet, I almost chose wipe data by mistake because I expected Vol+ to move up in the menu.
    [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH
    Installed ZVH by mistake? Use simple update.zip to revert to ZVD / Froyo
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  
    npark2012's Avatar

    Posts
    609 Posts
    ROM
    STOCK

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    I had this happen to me today with mine too. I was just doing a simple restart and it was stuck on the X. All I did was hold the power button until it re-rebooted. That did the trick. I think it was around 10 or more seconds. not sure though.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    Glad you figured it out. I was playing around with it too.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    Guys the same thing happened to me today, my 2013 nexus 7 is stuck boot looping even though its stock and unrooted when I go into recovery im getting the android on his back with a red exclamation and it says no command?? how did you get past this??
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    Try the button sequence mentioned in this thread, especially Power + Volume Up - and be patient

    Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
  10. #10  
    Asus_Fred's Avatar

    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hollis Ingerson View Post
    Guys the same thing happened to me today, my 2013 nexus 7 is stuck boot looping even though its stock and unrooted when I go into recovery im getting the android on his back with a red exclamation and it says no command?? how did you get past this??
    If you want to perform a factory reset try the following:

    If your tablet is on, power it off.
    Press and hold Power until the device powers on, then immediately press and hold Volume Down (while still pressing Power). You will see the word Start with an arrow drawn around it.
    Press Volume Down twice to designate Recovery mode.
    Press Power to restart into Recovery mode. You will see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
    While holding down Power, press Volume Up.
    Use the volume keys to scroll to "wipe data/factory reset" and press Power to select it.
    Scroll down to "Yes - erase all user data" and press Power to select it.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    Quote Originally Posted by Asus_Fred View Post
    If you want to perform a factory reset try the following:

    If your tablet is on, power it off.
    Press and hold Power until the device powers on, then immediately press and hold Volume Down (while still pressing Power). You will see the word Start with an arrow drawn around it.
    Press Volume Down twice to designate Recovery mode.
    Press Power to restart into Recovery mode. You will see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
    While holding down Power, press Volume Up.
    Use the volume keys to scroll to "wipe data/factory reset" and press Power to select it.
    Scroll down to "Yes - erase all user data" and press Power to select it.
    We know what needs to be done to do a factory reset. The trouble is, at least with the new Nexus 7 device, it is not easy to get the menu in the recovery mode.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    Facing the same problem !
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    I managed to pass thru that stage.
    When at the image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark, just keep pressing the power and vol up button together and all will cont
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    It worked, thank you, just keep playing with power and vol+ buttons and will reach reset menu. It took me a week until I found this forum.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    I have done all of the above, but nothing resets, always returns to previous state, tried both methods of factory reset.

    had crashing issues since 4.3 and every time i boot up after the X screen it says 'android is upgrading'
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    You guys are missing the point! This new device should not be doing this. I shouldn't need to try every geek-boy trick in the book to make the wretched thing work. I did try them, but all to no avail. So my device went back. What a great pity - i liked the device . If only it had worked! I am reviewing what device to buy. Shame on Google for lack of quality control.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    Hi,

    Just registered to ask this question you look like a helpful community. Basically I think i'm stuffed - I wanted to install a screen recorder which meant i needed to root it, the root process failed and i've bricked my nexus - i'd REALLY appreciate some advice please.

    It's a new Nexus 7 running KitKat

    let me explain what happens:

    "If your tablet is on, power it off.
    Press and hold Power until the device powers on, then immediately press and hold Volume Down (while still pressing Power). You will see the word Start with an arrow drawn around it.
    Press Volume Down twice to designate Recovery mode.
    Press Power to restart into Recovery mode. You will see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
    While holding down Power, press Volume Up."
    .....At this point when I do this the screen goes blank and I then get the White Google logo and a locked padlock at the bottom

    And that's as far as it gets.

    I don't mind loosing the data but I would just like my tablet back (I promise to look after it lol)

    Thanks in advance.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    isn't power an volume down key ??
    Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Nexus all the way..
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    Quote Originally Posted by NexusNick123 View Post
    isn't power an volume down key ??
    The steps described above are correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by davelondon View Post
    Just registered to ask this question you look like a helpful community. Basically I think i'm stuffed - I wanted to install a screen recorder which meant i needed to root it, the root process failed and i've bricked my nexus - i'd REALLY appreciate some advice please.
    Welcome to Android Central, and sorry to hear about your problems. I'm not an expert at rooting or its consequences, so I'm afraid I won't be able to help much. That last step of pressing the Power button and then the Vol Up button can be a little tricky. Are you pressing the Power button first, and keeping it down while you press the Vol Up button? You shouldn't have to keep both of them down for very long--typically just a half second or so, then release. When you release, the Recovery Menu should come up, if all is well.
    NexusNick123 likes this.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    Hi B.Diddy,

    thank you for your reply, i'll continue trying but basically as soon as i touch power the screen goes blank, when I press up the Google logo and the padlock comes on screen.....

    I suspect that the rooting process has corrupted something and it's not behaving as it should. Can I ask what would you suggest to re-image the device from this state?

    I've googled around a fair bit and it seems to me that I need to download the latest 4.4 kitkat software and then get it onto the device using adb or fastboot - do you have a link to a proven guide to do this, you know what it is with random articles on the internet

    (i'm on a mac by the way)

    Thanks for your time.

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    The steps described above are correct.



    Welcome to Android Central, and sorry to hear about your problems. I'm not an expert at rooting or its consequences, so I'm afraid I won't be able to help much. That last step of pressing the Power button and then the Vol Up button can be a little tricky. Are you pressing the Power button first, and keeping it down while you press the Vol Up button? You shouldn't have to keep both of them down for very long--typically just a half second or so, then release. When you release, the Recovery Menu should come up, if all is well.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    I wish I could help you, but I'm not skilled with those procedure. Hopefully someone else on these forums can help!
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    Thank you for your time, If anyone does have any ideas i'd appreciate it.

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I wish I could help you, but I'm not skilled with those procedure. Hopefully someone else on these forums can help!
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    To those of you who have done this procedure to factory reset your Nexus 7, has this resolved your random rebooting issues? Or is it still happening?
    Sent from my Moto X assembled in the USA!!
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    HELP!! ok so i factory rest the google nexus 7 and nothing... after it reboots it goes back to the stupid flashing X.. Can anyone tell me what i'm gonna have to do now?? Am i at the point of no return and do i need to send it back? I haven't even got to play on it yet..
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 not booting - how to do a factory reset?

    Welcome to Android Central! Can you give us a few more details? Is your Nexus 7 new or used? Rooted or unrooted? Was it like this fresh out of the box? When you say "flashing X," do you mean the multicolored X logo?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. TWRP and Clockwork not working after upgrading to 4.3
    By konrad236 in forum Nexus 4 Rooting, ROMs, & Hacks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-13-2013, 05:44 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 06:30 AM
  3. Replies: 51
    Last Post: 08-03-2013, 10:41 PM
  4. HELP! Going from Chromecast back to TV
    By Hugh_Jass in forum Google Chromecast
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 12:20 PM
  5. As of right now how much ram u have free???
    By HOLLYWOODANT215 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

B