How to Reboot/Reinstall Jelly Bean 4.3 on Nexus 7?

daaarn

May 5, 2013
Visit site
My new Nexus 7 is my first Android product so forgive me if this is a noob question, but how would I go about reinstalling Jelly Bean 4.3?

When I first booted up my Nexus 7, I believe it was still on an older version of Jelly Bean or something b/c it actually asked if I wanted to install 4.3. Anyway, while 4.3 was installing/loading, it had errored or something [can't remember what the dialog box said], but I paid no mind to it at the time b/c it eventually seemed to load 4.3 alright. Since then, I've had a couple of weird incidents [eg, freezing, homescreen getting wiped clean, can't install certain apps, etc.] and I feel like the only thing I can do to remedy all of them is to just reinstall 4.3. But if I do that, how would I go about retrieving my backup? It says it backs up to my google account but i'm not sure exactly how to access. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
My new Nexus 7 is my first Android product so forgive me if this is a noob question, but how would I go about reinstalling Jelly Bean 4.3?

When I first booted up my Nexus 7, I believe it was still on an older version of Jelly Bean or something b/c it actually asked if I wanted to install 4.3. Anyway, while 4.3 was installing/loading, it had errored or something [can't remember what the dialog box said], but I paid no mind to it at the time b/c it eventually seemed to load 4.3 alright. Since then, I've had a couple of weird incidents [eg, freezing, homescreen getting wiped clean, can't install certain apps, etc.] and I feel like the only thing I can do to remedy all of them is to just reinstall 4.3. But if I do that, how would I go about retrieving my backup? It says it backs up to my google account but i'm not sure exactly how to access. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
A factory reset will clear those issues. If you enabled the setting to backup to Google servers then the apps you currently have installed from the Play Store will automatically download following the setup when you factory reset. Anything that is saved or stored on the internal sd card will not be erased. For safety, I would still suggest saving sd card data to a computer.

A factory reset can be performed by access it in the menu: Menu > System Settings > Backup & Reset.

Let us know if you have further questions.

molinap1

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar problem where when it tried the system update after the first update when connecting to WiFi, it errored out. Oddly enough I was missing the Google Play Services and had to install from the market. Google games wasn't installed, which it was on my first nexus 7 2013 that I had to exchange for another reason. And I am missing the wallpaper that is on the box :-/

What is the latest build number? JWR66N is what I am running and it says I am up to date.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar problem where when it tried the system update after the first update when connecting to WiFi, it errored out. Oddly enough I was missing the Google Play Services and had to install from the market. Google games wasn't installed, which it was on my first nexus 7 2013 that I had to exchange for another reason. And I am missing the wallpaper that is on the box :-/

What is the latest build number? JWR66N is what I am running and it says I am up to date.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Are you still having issues? If you haven't already done so, factory reset as well.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

molinap1

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Are you still having issues? If you haven't already done so, factory reset as well.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I did a few factory resets changing the process a few times. One time I let all of the GooGle apps updates another time I let nothing update before trying it. Keeps erroring. I even relocked the boot loader to see if it would make a difference. Same problem. I think it may have been a bad image on it. Google play services wasn't even installed and the wallpaper that is on the box and that is used in all the promo shots isn't even on it.

Going to best buy as soon as they open. Hopefully the ones "in stock" are not orders waiting to be picked up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

daaarn

May 5, 2013
Visit site
A factory reset will clear those issues. If you enabled the setting to backup to Google servers then the apps you currently have installed from the Play Store will automatically download following the setup when you factory reset. Anything that is saved or stored on the internal sd card will not be erased. For safety, I would still suggest saving sd card data to a computer.

A factory reset can be performed by access it in the menu: Menu > System Settings > Backup & Reset.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Thanks for the advice. I tried the factory reset and it seems to have helped. However, it looks like I'm missing some other apps now, even after logging into my google account. Most glaringly, I can't seem to be able to re-download the Amazon mobile app. It just says it's incompatible with my device! I mean, I was able to download it before I did the reset. Is this a problem with the reset or did Amazon change their app in the last day?

milano3105

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
When I updated my Nexus 7 to Android 4.3 it totally hung on the X and factory reset etc made no difference. It went back to Asus under warranty and returned working OK this morning. Foolishly I went to update and exactly the same thing happened and it is totally unresponsive. I've spoken to Asus who said it should be sent back to them and advised to leave it as sent out by repairers v. 4.1 I think "until any bug is fixed". Has anyone else had this problem and how am I meant to know when it's OK to update ?

Larry Johnson5

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 7 I purchased a week ago has been sitting on a screen with an X for the last hour. Think I just bricked it by letting it do the automatic update.

I am NOT happy.