Is the small 7" screen too small for reading Magazines?

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I tend to read a lot of magazine and want to know how readable the text is on the Nexus 7.
I don't like to zoom in and out so reading clear small texts are important to me.
I went to best buys to look at the demo unit but it was on demo mode and the person working there could not get it out of it so I have no idea.

My concern is that with the letterbox format, the pages will be condensed and the letter would be too small to read.
Please let me know if you have any experience with magazines.

TIA

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I tend to read a lot of magazine and want to know how readable the text is on the Nexus 7.
I don't like to zoom in and out so reading clear small texts are important to me.
I went to best buys to look at the demo unit but it was on demo mode and the person working there could not get it out of it so I have no idea.

My concern is that with the letterbox format, the pages will be condensed and the letter would be too small to read.

TIA

I don't know if this would help you, but I do like to read on my 7" tablet, just not with the nexus 7. For me it is very clear and I was able to enjoy reading on the tablet.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
It's not bad in portrait mode, but you still sometimes need to scroll a bit depending on the magazine layout.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Some of the text on the sample magazines is tough to read for me on the N7. Most is ok, but some isn't.

Posted via Android Central App

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I find the 7 inch too small for reading magazines. I much prefer the Nexus 10 for magazines and image viewing in general.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I subscribe to magazines on my Kindle app. For me the Nexus 7 is the ideal size for reading both books and magazines.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013)

Wreckus

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I had a bit of issues reading magazines on my old 2012 nexus 7 due to the text being fuzzy or not clear (pending on the magazine). So I had to zoom in quite a bit, which was becoming annoying.

With the 2013 nexus 7, reading magazines from the play store is better. I don't have to zoom in near as much as I had to before and easier for me to read. The colors look brighter and better compared to the 2012 nexus 7 in my opinion.

milliman

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I regularly read journals and magazines on my Nexus 7. That is one reason why I purchased it. I find that the increased resolution display is easier on the eyes than the previous model. Text is crisper and the contrast is better.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I regularly read journals and magazines on my Nexus 7. That is one reason why I purchased it. I find that the increased resolution display is easier on the eyes than the previous model. Text is crisper and the contrast is better.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Should have bought the nexus 7!

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bottlerocket

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I mentioned this is another thread, but I guess it all depends on the quality of the magazine. I get Entertainment Weekly, and on the new HD screen, the text is readable, but you can tell it isn't as sharp as it should be. And it won't allow you to zoom in.

A 10 inch would definitely be better.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I mentioned this is another thread, but I guess it all depends on the quality of the magazine. I get Entertainment Weekly, and on the new HD screen, the text is readable, but you can tell it isn't as sharp as it should be. And it won't allow you to zoom in.

A 10 inch would definitely be better.

What app are you using to read the magazine? Most will let you pinch to zoom.

bottlerocket

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Just using Play Magazines.

nbcOZVQ.jpg[

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

janshien

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I had the 2012 Nexus 7 and did not like reading magazines on it. It was a much better experience on the 10" iPad. I now have the 9" Nook HD+ and find it a great compromise. I like to use Zinio. I also tried an HP Envy X2 with the screen that pulls off and turns into a 11" windows 8 tablet. It was a great form factor for reading Magazines, but the Windows 8 Zinio App was not as good as the iPad or Android ones, and the laptop with the Atom was too slow for other tasks I wanted. Unfortunately Bigger is Better when reading magazines, so you do not have to keep zooming in and out and can enjoy the original Magazine layout that we enjoy.
Joe

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

TIA

You can usually "pinch" to zoom out and enlarge text. I think in single page view, though, a 7" would be enough. I have a 10", however, and my key tablet use is reading mags. In 2 page view, which I often like, 7 is not enough unless you're zooming in all the time. I like to read while I eat. Constant zooming is an annoyance.

For reading ebooks, I'm content--indeed, more content--with my 5" S4. But those mags on things like Zinio are an exception.

Last edited:

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I read books on my 7, which is the main reason for buying a 7" instead of a bigger tablet..I think a 10" would be better for magazines, but, that's jmo. I needed something that would fit in the top of my lunchbox too, as it goes to work with me. Now, if they would only ship my cheap ($3.95 cheap) cover I ordered from Amazon, I'd be a happy camper.

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I am going to say it depends. If the magazine supports zoom, I think the Nexus 7 works fine to read. It does seem to depend on the individual magazine. First one I tried, can't remember which it was though, text was too tiny for me to read comfortably and it didn't zoom. Another magazine didn't zoom, but I could read the text OK. Third magazine would zoom on double-tap and was easy to read. All using the Google Play app.

I figure some will get read on the Nexus, some on my Nook.

Sent from my Nook HD+

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I have both an 7" inch & 8" inch tablets before and I can say I always avoided reading them on portrait mode as the texts are displayed really small and the zoom feature is really troublesome. They're okay and good if reading in landscape mode though. Hope this helps.

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
with the high resolution of the 2013, reading anything shouldn't be a problem. theres no text too small to read by default, at least for me. the only time I may need to pinch to zoom is if im clicking something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae