Nexus 7: Long Press Problem

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else have a problem with long presses? When I try to long press to move an icon, it just doesn't work well. It either opens the app, or it does nothing. It usually takes me 4 or 5 tries to get it to work. I saw a reviewer had the same problem at a major web site. I hope this is fixed in 4.3.1

Last edited by a moderator:

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Long Press Problem

My wife has some trouble, and as I watch I can see that the trouble she has is not having a steady enough hand. She'll go to tap & hold, and she'll end up moving her finger slightly to one side, which the tablet then interprets as a swipe, not a tap & hold. I think the biggest thing is practice, and being deliberate about the motions.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site

My wife has some trouble, and as I watch I can see that the trouble she has is not having a steady enough hand. She'll go to tap & hold, and she'll end up moving her finger slightly to one side, which the tablet then interprets as a swipe, not a tap & hold. I think the biggest thing is practice, and being deliberate about the motions.

Well that's not my problem. I have many other tablets and phones including Gen 1 Nexus 7, and they all work perfectly...

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

Well that's not my problem. I have many other tablets and phones including Gen 1 Nexus 7, and they all work perfectly...

You may not realize it, but your finger may slip ever so slightly when trying to hold it. The screen may be slippery since it is pretty oleophobic, which resists oils on your finger for less smudges. This happens on my HTC one and new nexus 7. You just have to get used to it.

Posted via Android Central App

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

Unless you have touch sensitivity issues with the OS elsewhere on the tablet, its probably you moving your finger.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

I've even seen times where it's not so much that the user's finger moves, but they press harder than they need to, and their finger squishing out ends up getting read as a movement. It is possible you're having an actual issue with the tablet, but I can't tell you what it would be. Perhaps for testing you could have a few other folks that are used to tablets give it a try, and see how much the results vary? If everyone has issues, then it's likely a hardware issue, but if some have no problems, then it may be that something about how you are using it is being misinterpreted by the tablet, and behavior change may fix the issue.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site

Let me be clear - this NOT a problem with my finger. Every other device I have (I have many) works perfectly - including the Nexus 7 ver 1. A reviewer from a major publication had the same problem I have. Either my unit is defective, or this is a bug. I only have the problem with long presses. I really do know how to do it...

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I might have to go back to stock launcher for a bit to confirm if Apex Launcher might be causing me long press issues, too. I use Apex on my Galaxy Nexus, and no problems there, but with the N7, I, too, more often than not, have problems long pressing items on my desktop. Also long pressing apps in the app drawer to get info, or uninstall.

Another example is that if I go to long press an icon on my desktop, often I initiate a desktop screen transition, rather than grabbing the intended icon.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what else folks have to say on this topic.

yofa

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, unlike some of the other posters... 2 issues could be affecting this:

1 - unofficial charger giving off funky voltages. if your tablet is plugged into a bad charger, and it throws off uneven charging, it'll make your touch response unstable. I ditched an amazon charger due to this. unplugging it should make it behave properly.

2 - you may have the same problem as me with my touch sensor, but my problem manifests itself as false long presses. I go to tap something, and my finger is clearly off the surface of the tab, but the device is behaving like I've long-pressed it. I have to tap the screen somewhere else to get it out of moving an icon or something. it does this whether it's plugged in or not.

I came to this thread by looking to see if someone else had the same issue with the 2013 nexus 7. maybe we share the same touch sensor issue.

Andyxz

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

I have a similar issue - I have trouble doing a long press for copy & paste. It's like the high dpi screen is not being properly taken into account when android decides if you are holding or swiping - there should be a sensitivity setting or something.

CompuChip

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for that tip. I was having the same issue. The sensitivity of this tablet is set way too high. If I touch it with any pressure at all, it launches the app. I have to touch it so lightly that I'm not even certain I'm touching the screen and then hold that pressure level. Highly annoying.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae