Good option for reading textbooks?

Woodyhd

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for a device that I can use to reference my electronic textbooks while at school. I was considering this or the nexus 10, but I'd rather have this for the price and form factor. Has anyone tried using the 7 for textbooks? I just don't want to have regrets on getting the 7 because of screen size. I'm sure 10 would be better for textbooks specifically, but I just think for anything other than textbooks I'd rather have the 7.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm a very avid reader and I've also converted all of my reference books to be readable on this device. I've found that the 7 inch device is the ideal size for both portability and reading comfort. Having my reference books digitally searchable is a real time saver. Add the incredible sharpness of the new Nexus 7 and I'm in reader paradise!

Sent from my incredible new Nexus 7 (2013)

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Let's put it this way....you can still read small text of the same thickness as your fingernail. that's how nice the screen is.

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
From my experience, reading forum texts with an 7" screen is a bit hard on portrait mode, but fine when using on landscape mode. It just better for the eye on landscape. So if you planning to use it on portrait mode with an 7" your eyes will get tired a lot lot quicker, other than that, it is fine I suppose.

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Since I own both the iPad Mini & the Nexus-7.2 I can say without question... The 4:3 aspect ratio of the iPad Mini is superior to the 16:9 ratio of the Nexus-7.2 for reading.
It just feel more like reading a book and the contrast is a lot better..

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
For normal eBooks, various software makes books very readable on the Nexus 7. For those formatted like the book (as in the case of me in one case) there might be a benefit to a larger tablet, but not enough to make me carry a 10" device. I bought the Kindle version of my Anatomy and Physiology textbook, and it was fine on my old tablet (Samsung Galaxy 2) and even better on the new Nexus 7.

The text can be a little small in portrait mode, but definitely readable on the Nexus 7, and I am due for new glasses. It can be zoomed in, which is what I have done to read a column at a time in the text. In landscape, where you can swipe up and down to move up and down the page, it is very good at being readable with the whole width of the page at once...

The diagrams are very sharp!

I don't think I would like carrying around a 10" tab, especially since I am a relatively slow reader, and I don't mind zooming in and swiping to move around on the page every couple of minutes for those books that require it. Those are also the books I tend to read more carefully, so it works fine for me to scan around a page to read different portions. :)

Woodyhd

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I picked up a 32gb N7. I already have a N4, so I wasn't blown away or anything like that, but I do like it. I loaded up one of my books and found I was about to read and navigate through it very well. I can load huge pdf files, flip through pages and quickly find what I'm looking for and that is really what I wanted, so I'm satisfied.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz