Is the 32GB worth the extra $40?

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I plan on picking up a new Nexus 7 on Monday but I can't decide whether or not I should go for the 32GB model or 16GB model. I plan on streaming content to it so I don't know if the extra $40 is worth it or not. The extra room would be nice should I ROM it, but stock 4.3.3. should fit my needs. Any 16GB users here that aren't worried about topping out any time soon?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If you are going to load movies, play lots of big 3d games, or need lots of backup space because you switch roms all the time, the 32GB is worth it.

If not, the 16GB should be fine. 16GB is actually around 12GB BTW.

It isn't a whole lot of money so if you really can't decide get the 32GB but I think if you are streaming all the time, 16GB should be ok.

You could always get a meenova to add a microsd slot that isn't too obtrusive, but certainly not as convenient as internal storage.

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
It was worth it to me. Now I'm enjoying still having 17GB available with all my current apps and games, along with my 3 emulators on it.

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Like the above posters said, if you don't intend to load much content into the device,16gb would be fine. I last used an 16gb tablet, loaded some game and widgets and I still have like 9gb room left. For me, $40 for double the capacity is a very good deal, consider ipads need an extra $100 to double the capacity. It's up to you to decide what you need. You can always transfer your content (music, pictures, games app) to a computer if you really run out of room tho.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Is it a good deal? Not too bad. A little over 2 bucks per gig isn't a "deal" but it's not a ripoff either. But the bottom line is this: Will you ever use it? If no, then it's wasted money. If you will, then by all means buy it. Just do yourself a favor and don't listen to statements like "well you never know, you might need it at some point and then you'll regret not having it" UNLESS you plan on keeping the N7 for 2+years. Simply put, know your own usage and don't let others tell you how you'll use your tablet.

Since you asked for our experience, I returned my 32 for a 16 yesterday. I decided to stick with my usual tablet purchase habits. I always buy the 16GB of any tablet because I never put music on mine. All I use them for is apps, HD gaming, and movies. I've always had enough room for all 3 on overseas flights. On my last tablet I broke the 16GB barrier a grand total of about 2 times in one year. On those occasions I needed about an extra 4GB so all I simply did was put it on my phone and used Wifi File Explorer to bridge the two devices. So in my case that $40 would virtually never get used. Never using something you pay $40 for is equivalent to simply taking a lighter to it and burning it. I like to switch my tablets once/year so I also tend to dislike investing more than the minimum cost in them and diverting that money to my desktop PC components and gaming consoles.

You know who benefits from 32GB tabets? People who put music on them instead of their phone, people who keep around a dozen games installed at once instead of only installing the games they happen to be playing currently, and people who want to keep 2 dozen movies on it at any given time. If that's your thing, I'm not knocking it, it's just not me. Although what you could possibly be doing to need that many movies loaded at once for escapes me. I have an entire external 500 GB external HD for my movies so an extra 16GB isn't any help to me.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
This tablet is nice enough (really nice), that I could see myself not upgrading it for two+ years. I could also see myself HAVING to have the latest/greatest in nine months, but I'm not sure what they could come up with that would necessitate that. Form-factor-wise, this new N7 is as thin and light as I could ever hope for, and I'm not a spec (cpu) wh*re, so this N7 is great.

My only concern is that apps get ever larger and larger, so I'm glad I got the 32gb. I've had a phone or two that met my needs speed-wise, but their limited storage caused me to have to upgrade them even though I was content with them in every other way.

Posted via Android Central App

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
In my particular case, I ended up with the 32GB model because Google (or more accurately UPS Supply Chain Solutions) shipped me the wrong device.

I paid for a 16GB model, the receipt said 16GB, but the package says 32GB and indeed I have more than 16GB storage available.

I called Google and the offered to send it back and have them ship me out the correct model, the lady thanked me for being honest and said enjoy the extra storage.

Even having the extra storage for free, I am fairly positive I will never fill 16GB, let alone 32GB as I tend to stream a lot and play one or two games at a time.

Dan

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I haven't noticed the amount of storage used by apps change appreciably since 2011. I think my current phone uses about 512mb more than my phone in 2011 did.

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
no you do not need the 32GB model. even if you find you do need more space later, you can get a wireless hard drive for the same price, with 500GB of storage. that to me is a no brainer, and a wireless drive can easily be mobile.

the issue with 32GB is, if you need 32GB, then you probably need MORE than 32GB. if you can go through the trouble of toting around a tablet, then you can go through the trouble of toting around a 500GB wireless drive.

Let's say you're traveling and think you need 32GB of storage to have content to view for when you're unable to get internet access....well if you're going to be without internet access for days or more at a time, 32GB will probably NOT be enough, especially if you want to watch 1080p.

and if you're going to be primarily using your tablet at home and have internet access always available, 32GB is definitely not necessary. I stream files directly from my PC. nothing but apps and games on the tablet, and I rarely go below 10GB free space, and when I do, it's not for long because I uninstall big games when I'm done playing them, and I can't possibly see why someone would need even 5GB worth of games on a tablet at a single time.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I would get a 64GB model if it was available. On my Rooted Nook HD+ I have 80GB with the SD Card Slot, and it is so nice to be able to get all my music and video on it. Just saying...
(I got the 32GB N7)

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I bought the 16GB Nexus 10 instead of the 32GB. I do not store a lot of movies or music and I stream most of my music. I have had a Galaxy Nexus phone for a year and a half and I still have close to 10GB of free space. Also, I have an OTG cable and the Nexus Media Importer app where I can play movies off a flash drive. Bottom line... do you need it? Probably not. But if you want it, pony up the extra $40 bucks.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I got the 32GB model because I want to store my music library, as well as my document files from work. I like to keep a copy of my work files so that I'm able to have access to them at any time. There are certain parts of the building where I'm unable to receive a connection.
I also like to hook my tablet up to my Bluetooth speakers to play music at outdoor family gatherings. I prefer not to tether to my phone to stream music during those outings, because I'm no longer on an unlimited data plan.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
no you do not need the 32GB model. even if you find you do need more space later, you can get a wireless hard drive for the same price, with 500GB of storage. that to me is a no brainer, and a wireless drive can easily be mobile.

the issue with 32GB is, if you need 32GB, then you probably need MORE than 32GB. if you can go through the trouble of toting around a tablet, then you can go through the trouble of toting around a 500GB wireless drive.

Let's say you're traveling and think you need 32GB of storage to have content to view for when you're unable to get internet access....well if you're going to be without internet access for days or more at a time, 32GB will probably NOT be enough, especially if you want to watch 1080p.

and if you're going to be primarily using your tablet at home and have internet access always available, 32GB is definitely not necessary. I stream files directly from my PC. nothing but apps and games on the tablet, and I rarely go below 10GB free space, and when I do, it's not for long because I uninstall big games when I'm done playing them, and I can't possibly see why someone would need even 5GB worth of games on a tablet at a single time.

This. I don't need an extra 16gb solution, I need a 500gb solution. The extra 16 is useless to me. I need far more than that so I can't think of a single reason for what 16 more is going to do for me.

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I got the 32GB model because I want to store my music library, as well as my document files from work. I like to keep a copy of my work files so that I'm able to have access to them at any time. There are certain parts of the building where I'm unable to receive a connection.
I also like to hook my tablet up to my Bluetooth speakers to play music at outdoor family gatherings. I prefer not to tether to my phone to stream music during those outings, because I'm no longer on an unlimited data plan.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I'm thinking between the 16GB and the 32GB the problem is that i will have emulators/games in my Nexus 7 maybe some music but i have my Mobile phone and the Ipod Nano 16gb. The Wireless HDD is good idea.

Last edited:

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
It seems like storing music and video files locally is somehow considered old fashioned by some - just stream it all. The problem is most of the time that I listen to music or watch videos I am on an airplane. WiFi is usually not available, or you have to pay for it, or it is too slow. Also, using LTE eats up my data plan really fast - especially when streaming video. When I had unlimited data on my last plan, I used as much as 25GB/mo. For me, 64GB is the sweet spot.

realisticgirl

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
It depends on what you need it for. If you are planning on having a lot of films, games and pictures then it is worth it. If not i wouldnt bother.
I hope that i could be of assistance.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
It seems like storing music and video files locally is somehow considered old fashioned by some - just stream it all. The problem is most of the time that I listen to music or watch videos I am on an airplane. WiFi is usually not available, or you have to pay for it, or it is too slow. Also, using LTE eats up my data plan really fast - especially when streaming video. When I had unlimited data on my last plan, I used as much as 25GB/mo. For me, 64GB is the sweet spot.

I was thinking more in terms of streaming from a large capacity device for trips where even 32 isn't enough. For that you don't need a data connection

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking more in terms of streaming from a large capacity device for trips where even 32 isn't enough. For that you don't need a data connection

I really wasn't referring to any particular post. That's a good option, however it's another device to take with you...

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Something to consider: You're not getting 2x the available memory when you go from 16GB to 32GB, you're getting considerably more. A fixed amount of the storage is taken up by the OS. Also, a certain amount needs to remain free or the device starts hanging up pretty badly (at least it did with the 2012 model - I noted that speeds were considerably reduced if I had less than 1.5-2GB free storage remaining).

That said, if you'll be storing very little on the device, the 16GB may be fine - but then again, if you're looking at keeping the tablet more than a year, your uses and needs for memory on the device may grow with the demands of OS upgrades and new applications - and the $40 difference now may be well worthwhile. Personally I was skeptical about the need for 16GB when I ordered my first in 2012, but saw the wisdom of that decision pretty quickly (and I don't store a ton of games/movies), so had no hesitation in investing in the larger capacity model this time around.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I plan on picking up a new Nexus 7 on Monday but I can't decide whether or not I should go for the 32GB model or 16GB model. I plan on streaming content to it so I don't know if the extra $40 is worth it or not. The extra room would be nice should I ROM it, but stock 4.3.3. should fit my needs. Any 16GB users here that aren't worried about topping out any time soon?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

I just purchased the 32gb model and I'm loving the extra space! I loaded everything I had previously on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and I still have over 20gb left!

J