Chromcast Question

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm kind of confused on what Chromcast will and will not do....Will it mirror the screen to your HD TV from your nexus 7? From all the demos that I've seen it seems that it'll just mirror a tab in Chrome.....What I want it to do is mirror XBMC from my Nexus 7, to my HD TV will Chromcast do that?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Chromecast will mirror Chrome Tabs & Desktop from PC/Mac/Chromebook

It will mirror contents from youtube/netflix/playstore content from mobile devices.

app/screen mirroring is not yet supported. More app support coming soon.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Chromecast will mirror Chrome Tabs & Desktop from PC/Mac/Chromebook

It will mirror contents from youtube/netflix/playstore content from mobile devices.

app/screen mirroring is not yet supported. More app support coming soon.

No, the Chomecast will not mirror your N7.
I would call the YT/NF/PS content stuff streaming or casting.
It can show Chrome Tabs, but that feature is in beta. (This feature is a way to wirelessly play flash videos and blocked content on your TV by using your computer.)
As for future support, nobody knows.

wileyja

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if this is not the way to post a question. My Chromcast works fine when plugged into the TV. However, it seems that only the TV speakers can be used in this case. This defeats the point of having a home theater (Samsung HT - 1250). First, is this the case (i.e., HDMI doesn't go from TB to theater box, just Box to TV)? Unfortunately, the box does not have a HDMI-in plug, but if it did, could Chromcast work through the box, or does it have to be connected directly to the TV? Somewhat specialized questions, but inability to get the benefits of an expensive home theater setup is obviously going to delimit the attractiveness of a $35 add-on, regardless of content upgrades.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if this is not the way to post a question. My Chromcast works fine when plugged into the TV. However, it seems that only the TV speakers can be used in this case. This defeats the point of having a home theater (Samsung HT - 1250). First, is this the case (i.e., HDMI doesn't go from TB to theater box, just Box to TV)? Unfortunately, the box does not have a HDMI-in plug, but if it did, could Chromcast work through the box, or does it have to be connected directly to the TV? Somewhat specialized questions, but inability to get the benefits of an expensive home theater setup is obviously going to delimit the attractiveness of a $35 add-on, regardless of content upgrades.

Welcome to Android Central! You can post specific Chromecast questions in this forum: Google Chromecast - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Chromecast definitely works with AV receivers--I have it plugged into my Denon AVR-2310CI, and the sound comes through the sound system, not the TV. There are some home-theaters-in-a-box that have an HDMI input, so it's possible Chromecast would work there, but hard to say for sure.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Use an optical cable to pass the digital audio signal from TV to theater receiver.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Will Ouellette

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Is there an app to cast TV station apps that are not yet Chromecast compatible (CBS/NBC/Fox/History app etc.) I have tried a few most of the web feed cast tools do not work and LocalCast comes closest (For me but just hangs). You can cast from a chrome tab on a laptop/desktop but this produces pretty jittery results so I end resorting to HDMI direct from the laptop. Most other items cast well through third party tools just not most channels “watch now” apps. I am pretty surprised most of these stations have not updated and have an in-app cast feature yet. I have gotten spoiled and use our phones as house remotes and this drives me nuts. Hmmm maybe its time I play with the SDK