Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Had my nexus 7 for 4 days, some comments and concerns.

So I've had my nexus7 2nd Gen. for about 4 days now, and I have some comments and concerns. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but this is what I notice:

1. I'm having what seems to be specific input lag and touch recognition. Like, when I click on links in the chrome browser, swipe left to right on the home screen, and touch to open apps. Occasionally it'll have miss swipe, won't recognize my touching the icon, and won't regret ignite that I touched the link.

2. There's this weird lag on the home screen sometimes. Like it'll stutter.

3. It seems like I'm experiencing more apps crashing here than I did my n4.

4. Typing is kinda a mess. Maybe it's because I type fast, but there's quite a bit of missed key presses.

Anyway, am I doing something wrong? Is my tablet bogged down with something? Because I hear everyone say all these good things on reviews and how it's smooth, but I'm kinda not getting that occasionally.

Really thinking if I should just go back to iOS from now on.

Default Re: Had my nexus 7 for 4 days, some comments and concerns.

1, 2, 4 are most likely the same issue.

See here:
    Poll.... does yours have touchscreen issues with the latest build?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I mean, I don't WANT to return the tablet only after 4 days, but I don't know if these issues will be resolved of not.

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

I hate too admit, but I'm having some of those as well. Nexus usually is good about fixes though. If not, I will see how good this insurance is. Never had an issue with the 2012 Nexus 7 that I have to my grandson when I got my 2013 that I was so excited for that I actually got it a couple of days before the release date :-(
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by bodum02 View Post
    I hate too admit, but I'm having some of those as well. Nexus usually is good about fixes though. If not, I will see how good this insurance is. Never had an issue with the 2012 Nexus 7 that I have to my grandson when I got my 2013 that I was so excited for that I actually got it a couple of days before the release date :-(

I mean, it's not like the tablets unusable. But these lite things are annoying. I don't think I should jump the gun and return it, though. Probably should give it a bit more time and see if these problems continue.

can such a huge blunder be hardware issue? obviously they checked everything time and time again

The problem with the links not being recognized is a problem on the 2012 N7 as well. I've mentioned that there are times when I have to click on a link 3-4 times to get it to open and sometimes that doesn't work. Those times, I have to zoom in on the page to make the link larger then try to open it again and it usually works.
    Banned

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

Interestingly enough I've run into unrecognized link clicks on 3 different branded tablets over the past couple of years. I've come to feel it's a tablet thing in general. (And yes ipadders, that was one of them). It happens. When it happens more than just occasionally then you should start worrying that it's a problem. Some websites seem to be more troublesome than others but perhaps that's just my perception

Global Posts
    328 Global Posts

My only concern now is the battery life. I am in the process of adding all my apps back to see why my screen on time is a measly 2-3 hours, and the battery barley lasts a day.

My Wife's tablet was lasting 4 hours of screen on time, but now she was a mediaserver wakelock. No new apps, just now her battery is always dead from mediaserver. She has snapped 2 pics total, no music, no movies.

Getting tired of android.

I could not type for anything on the new Nexus 7 I picked up on the release date.

I took it back to best buy, had them honor the 20% off office max coupon () and picked up a replacement. I have NONE of the typing and screen inaccuracy issues with this one. It is night and day.

What's odd is that the glass surface on the faulty one was so amazingly slippery it was like uber polished! This one that works has a much less slippery screen...

I would exchange it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by ViennaGambit View Post
    I could not type for anything on the new Nexus 7 I picked up on the release date.

I took it back to best buy, had them honor the 20% off office max coupon () and picked up a replacement. I have NONE of the typing and screen inaccuracy issues with this one. It is night and day.

What's odd is that the glass surface on the faulty one was so amazingly slippery it was like uber polished! This one that works has a much less slippery screen...

I would exchange it.

Yeah, but I bought it from a amazon seller. Which means its probably a pain to ship back for an exchange that may or may not fix my issues.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

What's weird is I think I was also noticing the typical g issues on my I pad as well. Like, when I hit one letter, it'll register another note ad. Like when I press c, either c won't register or it'll be something like z.

So really, not sure if it's worth shipping back and seeing if a replacement would fix the issues.

Or hell, aybe I'm over exaggerating. I don't know.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Yeah typing is a big problem for me on this. I honestly thought this was the way it was meant to be but seeing how other people are having problems with this as well says otherwise. Im also having issues with my Nexus 7 and its charging time. It takes about 3-5 hours to charge when its *suposed to* only take 2. Because this is a 4,000 mah battery and the charger is supposed to pump 2,000 per hour. Anyways, anybody else having this issue? Kinda bugging me

Quote Originally Posted by davidbonatz View Post
    Im also having issues with my Nexus 7 and its charging time. It takes about 3-5 hours to charge when its *suposed to* only take 2. Because this is a 4,000 mah battery and the charger is supposed to pump 2,000 per hour. Anyways, anybody else having this issue? Kinda bugging me
    I read the old nexus 7 take about 4 hours to charge,this one has a smaller battery also a lower charge output so i doubt you can fast charge it in 2 hours so fast.

It takes about 3-5 hours to charge when its *suposed to* only take 2. Because this is a 4,000 mah battery and the charger is supposed to pump 2,000 per hour.
    Where are you getting these numbers?
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
    Assassin Droid

Global Posts
    7,559 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

The only issue I've had with typing is with gesture typing being overly sensitive to changes in pressure and thinking that a new word is starting. I've changed how I type on it slightly to correct, but it was a surprise.

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

Here is a display unit that has the touch screen issues. It's pretty bad on some. I guess I got lucky. I purchased two on July 25th and they both are running great. This tablet is a beast there is no doubt about it. Unfortunately some are experiencing some serious issues that google needs to address asap.

Check this video out.

There is also a video on that channel of my nexus without any touch screen issues. Also on the display unit with problems it only acted up when not grounded aka not plugged in.

Sent from my HTC One

Yeah typing is a big problem for me on this. I honestly thought this was the way it was meant to be but seeing how other people are having problems with this as well says otherwise. Im also having issues with my Nexus 7 and its charging time. It takes about 3-5 hours to charge when its *suposed to* only take 2. Because this is a 4,000 mah battery and the charger is supposed to pump 2,000 per hour. Anyways, anybody else having this issue? Kinda bugging me
    I am not sure how you determined your expected charging time, but
    battery charging rate is nonlinear. The rate decrease as the device reaches capacity. This to minimize heat generation and the potential for gases build up.

Also the new charger is rated lower and the device charging profile is probably designed around that charger.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

The new N7, which I was hoping to pick up, appears to have some serious issues. Unfortunately, Asus/google seem loathe to acknowledge them, which suggests minimal effort being made to fix them. I guess they're coasting on past sales and good reviews in the tech mags, and figure sales, not service, is what matters. Ho hum, guess I'll wait for the next ipad mini.
    Assassin Droid

Global Posts
    7,559 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by brianatbb View Post
    The new N7, which I was hoping to pick up, appears to have some serious issues. Unfortunately, Asus/google seem loathe to acknowledge them, which suggests minimal effort being made to fix them. I guess they're coasting on past sales and good reviews in the tech mags, and figure sales, not service, is what matters. Ho hum, guess I'll wait for the next ipad mini.
    Not sure I understand. Other than a few that have touch sensitivity concerns, and one person with two stuck pixels, haven't heard of any glaring issues that would require a comment or hot fix.

Spasdic multi-touch, GPS won't lock over time, and random reboots are the big ones lots (but not all) are seeing.

It is always the case with these "variability in manufacturing" and/or "depends on usage" problems. Some will see them and feel everyone has the problem. Other will not see it and feel the people seeing it are a small minority. The truth is somewhere in between.

All 3 of the above issues have relatively large threads (compared to other issues) on the Google support forums and the rep there Paul has said Engineering is looking into them.

multi-touch
    Google Groups

gps
    Google Groups

random reboot
    Google Groups
    [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH
    Installed ZVH by mistake? Use simple update.zip to revert to ZVD / Froyo
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by ViennaGambit View Post

Anyone else with really slick screen? I think that is what is giving me fits on long presses. I think my finger is gliding ever so slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    What's weird is I think I was also noticing the typical g issues on my I pad as well. Like, when I hit one letter, it'll register another note ad. Like when I press c, either c won't register or it'll be something like z.

So really, not sure if it's worth shipping back and seeing if a replacement would fix the issues.

Or hell, aybe I'm over exaggerating. I don't know.
    The new one I got last weekend had None of the screen issues the one I picked up on release day did - I can type like a monster again now.

And that's one of the reasons I buy from local big box stores - really easy to return. No way would I do an amazon seller or even the Google store. Even if I had to pay a little more, the ease of exchange and warranty stuff is worth the premium...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

I'm going to return the tablet. Honestly, there's just these niggling g issues that are making me not liking android as much anymore. I think I much rather like the experience of iOS devices more. So I'm also probably upgrading to a iPhone 5S when that hits. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I think I like the controlled, user interface first nature of iOS more than the customize and tinker android experience
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast