When was my last backup - and how much data can I backup?

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
In the settings, it seems my app data and other data is backed up to my Gmail account.

Is there more detail on this available? Like when was the last backup? How much is currently backed up? What is backed up? What the backup limits are, etc.?

Thaks,

doug

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Applications that are linked to your gmail account such as contacts, calendar, etc, are continuously updated with all changes (i.e., if you edit a calendar event on your tablet and then look at your google-linked calendar on on your phone or PC, it will reflect the change almost immediately (less delay for data transmission). Things like photos, videos, games, etc are not automatically backed up - though you can set up some 3rd party apps like Dropbox to provide for that functionality as well.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Applications that are linked to your gmail account such as contacts, calendar, etc, are continuously updated with all changes (i.e., if you edit a calendar event on your tablet and then look at your google-linked calendar on on your phone or PC, it will reflect the change almost immediately (less delay for data transmission). Things like photos, videos, games, etc are not automatically backed up - though you can set up some 3rd party apps like Dropbox to provide for that functionality as well.

Is there no way of doing a complete backup of the Nexus in case it needs to be restored? For example if it is damaged and exchanged. Or stolen and you need to restore everything.

In iOS you can make complete backups with iTunes and then restore everything very easily, down the positions of the app icons on the home screens.

Is there not something similar for the Nexus 7?

Thanks,

doug

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Helium (AKA "Carbon") is what you're looking for (for the most part). Well worth the low cost. In conjunction with the data that Google automatically backs up, you're pretty much covered.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
That's one of the only things I like more about my iPad, you can back up absolutely everything. And that's a software feature baked in, no need for any apps to do it.

Posted via Android Central App

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
That's one of the only things I like more about my iPad, you can back up absolutely everything. And that's a software feature baked in, no need for any apps to do it.

Yes, I've been keeping score so far on what is best on the Nexus 7 and what is best in iOS on my iPhone 5 or iPad 2. Some things are better on the Nexus, and some on the iPad. But I'm enjoying it so far.

doug

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Helium (AKA "Carbon") is what you're looking for (for the most part). Well worth the low cost. In conjunction with the data that Google automatically backs up, you're pretty much covered.

It looks like Helium requires a PC to backup to your computer and there is no Mac version, is that correct?

doug

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
It looks like Helium requires a PC to backup to your computer and there is no Mac version, is that correct?

doug

I use helium on my Mac and it works fine. Just backed up some apps last night. You just have to download something on the Mac to allow it to run and then you use your browser to access the server the app is running on.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I use helium on my Mac and it works fine. Just backed up some apps last night. You just have to download something on the Mac to allow it to run and then you use your browser to access the server the app is running on.

So your backup is saved in the cloud rather than on your Mac?

doug

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
There is an option to back up to your computer. I suggest just trying it out because there are a few different options and I don't want to start confusing you. Try the app and if you have any questions I'll see if I can answer them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08