Can I Insert Cell Phone Sim to Nexus 7 LTE (2013)?

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
For the new Nexus 7 LTE (2013), can I just insert my regular Tmobile Sim card from my cell phone (I have a data plan) into the Nexus 7 and I will have data connection (4G/LTE)?

Apologies for my ignorance (i'm a newb).

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Interesting.... Yeah, I have sim converters which will put my sim card into Nano/Micro/Regular sizes. Anyone else chime in? This seems too good to be true...

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
thanks. I have a new sim. Probably won't work with the 2013 Nexus 7 as well, huh. Because they lose money if I can "double dip". I am surprised to see that others think it might work...

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
How do you know? The LTE is not out yet.....

I don't know, which is why I mentioned the 2012 N7, I have one of those. People are having trouble on other forums even getting a T-Mobile phone sim to work in an iPad Mini which has LTE. They get the T-Mobile login page. Judging from this, it doubt it will work in the new LTE N7 when it comes out.

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't know, which is why I mentioned the 2012 N7, I have one of those. People are having trouble on other forums even getting a T-Mobile phone sim to work in an iPad Mini which has LTE. They get the T-Mobile login page. Judging from this, it doubt it will work in the new LTE N7 when it comes out.

I've been reading for hours trying to find out. So far there are NO CONFIRMED posts about it working. There are however A LOT of posts of people saying "it should work". @NexusGirlX, you haven't seen a confirmed post of it working on the 2012 N7, right?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I've been reading for hours trying to find out. So far there are NO CONFIRMED posts about it working. There are however A LOT of posts of people saying "it should work". @NexusGirlX, you haven't seen a confirmed post of it working on the 2012 N7, right?

I haven't seen one person get a T-Mobile phone sim working in a 2012 N7. People on these forums have said the same thing, it doesn't work for T-Mobile.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, since I will be adding this to my T-Mobile account when it comes out I will be getting a SIM card for it anyway. I'll post the results here if and when it finally comes out. Better be soon as someone's birthday is fast approaching......

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, I can confirm it's not working. It wants me to "register the device" first. I don't understand why, I've been putting my T-Mobile SIM in my HTC One, Sony Xperia ZL and Nexus 4 no problem, but when I put it in my new Nexus 7 LTE the signal indicator is "grey" and won't turn blue. I did log into my existing My T-Mobile account but that didn't fix it. Why would it work with a Nexus phone and not a Nexus tablet, unless of course they've installed some BS device detection garbage. Gonna put my AT&T SIM in next and see what happens ...

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
OK inserted my AT&T SIM from my HTC One and the Nexus instantly went to LTE and resume downloading my apps, so this is some sort of T-Mobile nonsense. I guess I'll have to call them and find out what the deal is.

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
OK inserted my AT&T SIM from my HTC One and the Nexus instantly went to LTE and resume downloading my apps, so this is some sort of T-Mobile nonsense. I guess I'll have to call them and find out what the deal is.

Thanks for the data point. My guess is because Tmobile has much more expensive tablet data plans than they do cellular phone data plans, so they have a BS blocking device so it forces people to buy their separate Tablet data plan.
Please update what they say when you call them if you can. thanks!

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
It's not that hard to figure out. They want you to use a T-Mobile data plan with the Nexus 7 and not a cell phone sim. You are wasting your time if you call T-Mobile to ask why? The answer is right there in your face.

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It shouldn't matter; they're actually better off when I use my phone/data plan SIM in my tablet as I'm not using the voice network at all. I'm paying for the data, I could tether my tablet to my t-mobile phone if I wanted, so what's it matter? (other than your point, they want to sell me a separate tablet data plan.) That line of thinking is actually going to cost them because if I can't get my phone sim to work, I'm cancelling my current T-mobile account and then will re-up for just the month-to-month tablet data plan (which is a lot cheaper than what I'm currently paying).

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I could tether my tablet to my t-mobile phone if I wanted, so what's it matter?

The difference is that if you tether, you only get 2.5GB of tethering, and with their tablet data plan you pay per GB/month up to 10GB/month.
Obviously the tablet data plan is implemented for heavy (streaming daily) data users. Otherwise the phone data plan of 2.5GB tethering is simply enough.

genoist

May 28, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile filters by IMEI. The Nexus 7 (both the 2012 & the 2013 models) are recognized as mobile broadband devices, so they will only work with an appropriate data plan.

Adding an MBB line onto a postpaid T-Mobile account is fairly cheap. It's $10 for a basic 500 MB data plan, and you can add more data for $10 / 2 GB all the way up to 12.5 GB total.

The 12.5 GB plan isn't listed on the website, but it's definitely available. Another off sheet plan is an on-demand data plan. The plan costs $10 / month, but when you already have a voice line you get a $10 discount on it making it free. There is no data included in this plan, but you can buy "data passes" for $10 which gives you 1 GB of data that's good for a week, or until it's used up, whichever comes first. It's a good plan for someone who only very rarely needs the embedded data and doesn't want to pay for an unused plan every month.

Posted via Android Central App

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile filters by IMEI. The Nexus 7 (both the 2012 & the 2013 models) are recognized as mobile broadband devices, so they will only work with an appropriate data plan.

Adding an MBB line onto a postpaid T-Mobile account is fairly cheap. It's $10 for a basic 500 MB data plan, and you can add more data for $10 / 2 GB all the way up to 12.5 GB total.

The 12.5 GB plan isn't listed on the website, but it's definitely available. Another off sheet plan is an on-demand data plan. The plan costs $10 / month, but when you already have a voice line you get a $10 discount on it making it free. There is no data included in this plan, but you can buy "data passes" for $10 which gives you 1 GB of data that's good for a week, or until it's used up, whichever comes first. It's a good plan for someone who only very rarely needs the embedded data and doesn't want to pay for an unused plan every month.

Posted via Android Central App

Good info, thanks.