Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FitzAusTex
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Stock Android Browser

All,

This is the first Android device that I've used that doesn't appear to have a stock Android browser. Am I missing this or is there a way to download it to my tablet?

J

Default Re: Stock Android Browser

Use Chrome. Stock browser was never up to much.

Quote Originally Posted by jstwondrng View Post
    All,

This is the first Android device that I've used that doesn't appear to have a stock Android browser. Am I missing this or is there a way to download it to my tablet?

J
    Chrome is the stock Android browser.

If you're looking for an alternative, I recommend Dolphin.

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

If I'm not mistaken Chrome now comes as the stock browser on Nexus devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Ribs85 View Post
    Use Chrome. Stock browser was never up to much.
    Stock browser has the ability to run flash, which Chrome cannot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by cdf3 View Post
    Stock browser has the ability to run flash, which Chrome cannot.

Flash has not been supported since Jelly Bean; Adobe stopped supporting Android OS some time ago.

is there any solution, to run flash?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLibertarian View Post
    Flash has not been supported since Jelly Bean; Adobe stopped supporting Android OS some time ago.
    True, but Flash will still work on browsers that support it. You have to side load it though.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

The aosp (original stock) browser is available (without root being necessary). I've been using it for two weeks, couldn't be happier, as stock allows for larger fonts/default zoom than chrome for my tired eyes. Couple of pretty easy steps:

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by FitzAusTex; 08-15-2013 at 03:45 PM.
    coronaboy10 likes this.

There are a lot of browsers available. I mostly use Chrome, but in case I want Flash, I have XScope Pro. When I first opened it on my new N7, it automatically saw that I didn't have flash installed, asked if I wanted it, and automatically downloaded & installed it for me. I'm happy with that.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Insert Coin 5.5

Quote Originally Posted by FitzAusTex View Post
    The asop (original stock) browser is available (without root being necessary). I've been using it for two weeks, couldn't be happier, as stock allows for larger fonts/default zoom than chrome for my tired eyes. Couple of pretty easy steps:

And its generally faster and better than Chrome in my experience. I wish AOSP browser was the default. I always use it instead of Chrome.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gauhar Mahmood Azeem View Post
    is there any solution, to run flash?
    On devices that do not come with flash you must download Firefox, then type into google search bar on your device in any browser (stock, chrome, firefox) "Archived Flash player versions". Find the highest version file that matches your android version (for my s4 it was 11.1 for android 4.0 and higher). Download it onto your phone but in order to install it you must go to settings>security> and check "Unknown Sources" in order to open a file not from the Google store (Remember to uncheck it after you install the Flash file to prevent potential future intrusions). Go to downloads in your My Files and open the package. If it asks which browser to open it with choose firefox because that is the only browser that can use Flash (on my s4) and follow any commands or settings. After this I opened a flash website on firefox and it worked!
    You may make firefox as your default browser after this so you don't have to worry about flash support or just copy and paste the address from chrome/stock browser to firefox when needed. So far that's what works for me and I'm fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by adriank403 View Post
    On devices that do not come with flash you must download Firefox, then type into google search bar on your device in any browser (stock, chrome, firefox) "Archived Flash player versions". Find the highest version file that matches your android version (for my s4 it was 11.1 for android 4.0 and higher). Download it onto your phone but in order to install it you must go to settings>security> and check "Unknown Sources" in order to open a file not from the Google store (Remember to uncheck it after you install the Flash file to prevent potential future intrusions). Go to downloads in your My Files and open the package. If it asks which browser to open it with choose firefox because that is the only browser that can use Flash (on my s4) and follow any commands or settings. After this I opened a flash website on firefox and it worked!
    You may make firefox as your default browser after this so you don't have to worry about flash support or just copy and paste the address from chrome/stock browser to firefox when needed. So far that's what works for me and I'm fine with it.
    Do you work for Mozilla? Seriously, you do not need to download only Firefox. Flash works on several browsers. You just go to the Adobe Flash archive page and download and install flash (after changing the security settings to allow installing apps from places other than the Plat Store). Then install the browser of your choice that supports flash. Opera, Firefox, Maxthon, etc........
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Do you work for Mozilla? Seriously, you do not need to download only Firefox. Flash works on several browsers. You just go to the Adobe Flash archive page and download and install flash (after changing the security settings to allow installing apps from places other than the Plat Store). Then install the browser of your choice that supports flash. Opera, Firefox, Maxthon, etc........
    I've tried all, and I mean ALL of the browsers that claim to run flash and FF is the best one. You also can use the Adblock plus addon (if you can find it). Xscope comes in 2nd due to easier installing. (no sideload)

I am however going to try the AOSP one using the info from this thread.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

The aosp (original stock) browser is available (without root being necessary). I've been using it for two weeks, couldn't be happier, as stock allows for larger fonts/default zoom than chrome for my tired eyes. Couple of pretty easy steps:

Thanks! I'll check it out in the morning...

J

Sure. If you plan on syncing with chrome bookmarks, don't forget to check notifications after you've completed the steps, cause you have to accept the chromium permission.

Spoiler alert: Chrome kicks a** on the Nexus 7

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

The .zip file only contains two files not 3. Where is the browserproviderproxy thingy?

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Insert Coin 5.5

You might have it already.

Quote Originally Posted by coronaboy10 View Post
    You might have it already.
    yes, it's in the \system\app folder. The xda instructions didn't spell that out too clearly, I had to read about 4 pages of messages before I got it.

The stock browser app and flash.apk installed correctly. I'll have to wait until after work to get WiFi to see it in action.
    Do you know if there's any ad blocking ability in this browser?

ROM
    paranoidKangdroid

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Firefox for Android still supports Adobe Flash if you have it installed.

Edit- I guess I should read more, someone already stated that
    Last edited by Ronnie2; 08-16-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    Always rooted.

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Insert Coin 5.5

Quote Originally Posted by tflash View Post
    yes, it's in the \system\app folder. The xda instructions didn't spell that out too clearly, I had to read about 4 pages of messages before I got it.

The stock browser app and flash.apk installed correctly. I'll have to wait until after work to get WiFi to see it in action.
    Do you know if there's any ad blocking ability in this browser?
    There is a block popups check in the settings.