considering returning permanently.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE: The original post is still at the bottom of this for anyone who cares, but I've revised my decision to this:

I've spent a lot of hours putting this tablet through the paces over the last couple of weeks and I'm 99.9% made up my mind to keep it for several reasons. While I stand by my earlier statement that Apple's easy customer service simply can't be beat, it just didn't end up outweighing the advantages of the 2013 N7 for me.

1. Value. I'm a self admitted cheapskate when it comes to electronics. I try to get the most value for the lowest cost and there's nothing out there that beats it in this category. I'm also possibly over-cautious about spending the least I can get away with because I've just never been confident of the longevity of modern day electronics (which is why I was considering an iPad for the basic peace of mind I could walk into the Apple Store near me at any time for hassle free replacements under warranty). Yes I'm so cheap that I wouldn't even spend the extra $40 for the 32GB because I'd only end up loading those extra movies once/year at the most. But I have found an elegant solution to that in case anyone is interested - If you only very rarely would load up on movies on special occasions like me, you can cram a whole bunch on your phone and stream them directly to your tablet using the WiFi File Explorer app. You don't even need your phone connected to data to do it. (also works for moving around any file types in general). I just tested it all out and it works great!

2. This Article really reminded me the reason I never wanted to switch to iOS is because of just how heavily I've grown accustomed to using many of the points discussed there. It's worth your time to click this link and read this short article, it will remind you why we prefer android in well presented points. This article was what finally drove home my decision with clarity.

3. Apps. Two of the biggest reasons given as iPad advantages are that the apps look more tablet oriented, and the quality of apps is somewhat better. While I'm not going to belabor those points, here's my feelings on it. The N7's screen size and aspect ratio are very similar to what a phablet would be. So an app designed for large android phones scaling in size for the Nexus 7 really isn't something I would call a disadvantage. On a 10" screen sure, point taken. But not on this device. Quality of apps also depends IMO. I usually only install from well rated developers so app quality hasn't been lacking in that regard.

4. The future. I'm not overly confident in Tim Cook's ability to wow us. Google on the other hand has been pleasantly surprising me non stop for the last year. The crowning achievement in more recent smartphone history IMO is Google Now which I use extensively. That was absolutely brilliant. Love or hate the Moto X, I also think the Active Notifications idea combined with the already existing and well done notification shade on Android is also exceedingly well done, and now thanks to developers everyone can use them. I also think the idea of using separate dedicated cores to power certain tasks on that phone was very efficient and clever engineering.

5. After being on my 3rd device this one appears to be mostly trouble free. Although this unit also has the 2-finger multi-touch behaviour that shows up in tester apps, it's not manifesting itself in regular use, and is so slight it barely shows up even in the tester app.

Lastly there's been some good feedback here. A small number of hostile responses as well, but that's to be expected on an all-ages forum (and most were from habitual repeat offenders anyway). But hopefully newcomers to the thread will realize that my intentions were sincere, just as the more mature responders have.

---original post below:
There appears to be 4 common issues being reported with the new n7: quirky multi touch, GPS lock, random reboots, and some with distortion at lower volumes. In before "mine is working fine": OK cool. But I had to return mine 3x and there are enough people having problems that it's made tech news. So I must ask myself if I want to stay with a device that Asus has clearly not done a proper job with, or buy the iPad Mini 2 in a couple of months which if Apple's track record continues won't be this problematic and will in all likelihood be on par with specs and display.

Another factor in my decision is that if I were a gambler, the odds of a launch with these issues out the gate could mean a mail in RMA to Asus at some point under warranty, whereas through Apple an RMA would consist of me getting in my car and having the clerk just grab me a new replacement off the shelf behind him and saying have a nice day

I just don't feel Android has hit the same level as Apple in tablets yet. I was hoping this one would be the "one". If there hadn't been so many screwups it indeed would have.

edit: also this

Last edited:

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I buy both Apple and Android products. Trust that the new iPad releases will have issues of their own. That's always been my experience and there will always be people in the Apple forums who will report multiple exchanges to get a device without problems. (Just check Mac Rumors post launch of any new Apple device). It's par for the course for expensive gadgets.

All that said, I have had zero issues with my new N7. And I would guess that many of the issues that people are reporting are software in nature. That's the challenge of nexus devices. Being at the bleeding edge comes with a cost.

As always, do what's best for you. I'll likely pick up a retina mini when it arrives as well. But my experience with the N7 form factor running Google's latest has far surpassed my experience with other tablets (I've previously owned an iPad and an N10).

Posted via Android Central App

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
That's a bummer, my N7 has worked flawlessly. Have you tried returning the unit you have for a new one?

3 times yep

I buy both Apple and Android products. Trust that the new iPad releases will have issues of their own. That's always been my experience and there will always be people in the Apple forums who will report multiple exchanges to get a device without problems. (Just check Mac Rumors post launch of any new Apple device). It's par for the course for expensive gadgets.

All that said, I have had zero issues with my new N7. And I would guess that many of the issues that people are reporting are software in nature. That's the challenge of nexus devices. Being at the bleeding edge comes with a cost.

As always, do what's best for you. I'll likely pick up a retina mini when it arrives as well. But my experience with the N7 form factor running Google's latest has far surpassed my experience with other tablets (I've previously owned an iPad and an N10).

That hasn't been my experience as a tech watcher though. I haven't seen a single iPad launch with this many issues being reported by tech media. The nexus 4 as a phone never had this much issue feedback either which is why I blame Asus rather than Google

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Oh well... I'm also a tech watcher and feel differently. Bottom line, you should get a device that works well for you and that you're happy with. If that's an iPad, then go for it!

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, the ipad had its share of probems too.. such as the 3rd generation with the heating followed by the ipad mini with wifi issues. I guess I learned my lesson this time to never buy an hardware that just came out in weeks.

crankerchick

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
A Nexus 7 is not for you. You should get your iPad, you'll be much happier. So happy you won't notice whatever doesn't work with it when it first launches.

I see quirks with my nexus 7. My iPad can't have GPS issues since it doesn't have GPS. I have flaky keyboard freeze but I'm confident Google will fix it with a software update, just like Apple fixes bugs in new software and hardware. My iPhone 5 got an update a sometime after it came out because it was scouring through data. Yeah, thgat was a costly update to wait for. But that can't be right because Apple products just work out of the gate.

Good luck with that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, the ipad had its share of probems too.. such as the 3rd generation with the heating followed by the ipad mini with wifi issues. I guess I learned my lesson this time to never buy an hardware that just came out in weeks.

Yep my iPad 3 has a heating issue and the screen is bit askew and scrolling is a little jerky because the CPU/GPU can't quite keep up with the Retina display. Also, some apps crash or freeze, but it works OK.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Well if you're uncertain, maybe hold on to your current N7 until the end of your return period and hope that a patch will be released by then. If not, return it, and wait for the next iPad mini to come out and make your final decision from there. As far as Apple is concerned, you pay a premium for the products, but you're also paying for their service, which in my experience, has been great.

You'll find reported problems with newly released products from all manufacturers all the time. Just thinking about some of the products that I've owned... the iPad 3 had issues with wifi, as did the latest MacBook Air, the Torch 9800 had issues with the slide mechanism. If you look for them you'll find them on tech sites and forums. It's just a matter of whether you're looking for them or not. If you're experiencing an issue, you'll be that much more aware. I'm a tech enthusiast as well, but I'll spend more time reading on actual products and ecosystems that I use or am considering using, rather than those I don't. All that being said, 3 returns doesn't sound too good.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, this is excellent advice if you want to avoid issues. Let someone else be the guinea pig and wait until the manufacturer addresses the issue(s) before buying.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes, this is excellent advice if you want to avoid issues. Let someone else be the guinea pig and wait until the manufacturer addresses the issue(s) before buying.

I also think there is some wisdom in waiting. I want to get the new 13 inch MacBook retina with the Haswell chip and faster gpu. But I may wait a few weeks to see if there are any early issues with the new processors and memory.

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Why do i gave the nagging suspicion that we are being trolled by this guy who make sych a dubious case for the big A and makes such a meanspirited one for the new nexus, a brilliant tablet that is equal to ir even superior to my ipad mini and ipad3. Dude, if you dont like the n7 and have had so many ALLEGED problems return it and buy the beloved ipad and stop whining.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Why do i gave the nagging suspicion that we are being trolled by this guy who make sych a dubious case for the big A and makes such a meanspirited one for the new nexus, a brilliant tablet that is equal to ir even superior to my ipad mini and ipad3. Dude, if you dont like the n7 and have had so many ALLEGED problems return it and buy the beloved ipad and stop whining.

Try addressing me like and adult in a civilized manner, minus the attitude and I'll answer you.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I also think there is some wisdom in waiting. I want to get the new 13 inch MacBook retina with the Haswell chip and faster gpu. But I may wait a few weeks to see if there are any early issues with the new processors and memory.

I actually toyed with waiting another 6 months or so for a fanless tablet running full windows with enough guts to run more powerful programs along with the battery life of an ARM based tab but I don't really need a device that size or have any serious need for a $1000 plus tablet either. It'll be pretty cool when they can do that though

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I actually toyed with waiting another 6 months or so for a fanless tablet running full windows with enough guts to run more powerful programs along with the battery life of an ARM based tab but I don't really need a device that size or have any serious need for a $1000 plus tablet either. It'll be pretty cool when they can do that though

I don't know if MS can afford to wait for low cost tablet hardware to get to the point of running Windows 8 well. I would not be surprised to see them exit from the tablet market soon.

hausjam

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I went through four iphone5 in as many months. No manufacturer is perfect.

I have both a nexus 7 and iPad mini. I think the iPad is a better tablet. N7 screen is just a little too small. My kids love it though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I went through four iphone5 in as many months. No manufacturer is perfect.

I have both a nexus 7 and iPad mini. I think the iPad is a better tablet. N7 screen is just a little too small. My kids love it though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Would you mind telling me what the issues were? That'd help me as a point of reference to make up my mind.

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
Yea, if anyone didn't think there are problems with other devices just check the other sites forums. I guarantee you'll see plenty there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

tg2708

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
OP like everyone said every manufacturer has their fair share of issues, some more than others. I love the nexus 7 even though I have exchanged it twice. But right now I'm waiting for the new ipad 5 (killing me right now) to get a taste of some quality apps (apple wins hands down). Current generation ipad mini is too far behind compared to the ipad 4 and iphone 5 so I highly consider waiting if you plan on getting an ipad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy